“Awesome Bed and Breakfast”

Austin's Inn at Pearl Street
Ranked #8 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2011

My husband and I stayed in the very cool Safari room in the Inn, while our other family members stayed in the Oxford room. Both rooms were extremely comfortable, well kept, quiet, and clean. We enjoyed the other guests, Inn Keeper Jill's hospitality, and the evening ambiance of tealights in the garden. The location is perfect and the rooms were appropriately priced. We also enjoyed the serve yourself style breakfasts in the very comfortable dining room. All our needs were met for the 4 nights we stayed and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Both the Oxford room and the Safari room come with nice balconies for relaxing in the afternoons. N...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lori C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

My two friends and I came to Austin for a fun and relaxing girls weekend, after a lot of research and some negotiating, we found the perfect place: Austin's Inn at Pearl Street.

We booked "The Cottage" for our stay in the city which very comfortably slept three of us (pull-out sofa and large king bed). It had a kitchen, dishes, a full, bath, and great privacy (as it is a detached cottage). The whole grounds is fully decked out with southern charm and decorations. It is fenced in with a lovely courtyard and fountain with tables and lounge chairs for relaxing. It's a nice little hideaway and very reasonably priced (we were able to secure a great rate at the Cottage for five days even though we didn't stay for the required seven they note on their website). The perfect alternative to a would-be, lackluster "chain" hotel stay.

Upon arrival we were greeted with cookies, wine, and a tour of the place. Andre a staff member was warm, witty, and flexible based on our requests or any questions we had. The parking was complimentary which also helped us save on hotel parking. It was a short walk to shopping and restaurants on Guadalupe and more of a hike or short cab ride to 6th street.

Overall, my friends and I had a great experience and would definitely come back. The only thing that we would recommend would be getting a rental car (lots of Austin sites are very spread out and better to drive to) and a more robust spread at the continental breakfast (inclusion of a greater variety and quantity of pastries and some hot items or microwaveable breakfast sandwiches).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank C F
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Although this B&B has loads of charm, it is not centrally located near down town as advertised. You'll need a car or a bike or a taxi. I do not recommend the establishment for business travelers. The owner was completely inflexible, indecisive, and unresponsive when there was a discrepancy with my booking, made by work. Early check-out was not allowed, despite that I had to move room 3x, posted advertisements at my conference for the owner, and gave 5 days noticed that I would need to check out early. Business travellers need flexibility - if your meeting ends early and you need to check out - you will still have to pay- even if you give the establishment plenty of notice. Early departures are treated as cancellations, and you are charged in full. There is a 10 day requirement to change anything.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if traveling for business
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank M R
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I was a little leery when my colleague proposed that we stay at a Bed & Breakfast rather than a conventional hotel. It is always harder to travel "off the beaten path" especially when it comes to the necessities of business travel. However, this B&B had wireless internet, guest-accessible printers, and evening snack food, which was good to the traveler arriving late at night.

Did I mention that my colleague and I had the best sleep we have had in a long time? I had not slept this well since I spent a weekend at a friend's expensive house--AND BED--in Cape Cod last year.

The B&B, located near UT-Austin, offers all the benefits of being located near a college: events, museums, etc.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank tripjslorca
Reviewed 13 May 2011

We chose to stay here because they had availability the weekend we needed it. We had anticipated a clean, comfortable quiet room. Our stay began by the owner telling us she could have sold the room to someone else for twice the money. Next, she told us our room adjoined a room in which another couple was staying, but that we were to just keep the door closed. Then once we got to the room, it was dusty and hot. There was absolutely no way to block the parking lot light from coming through the windows, and then when the sun rose, there was no way to block the sun. The mattress was loud and very uncomfortable, and we could hear everything from the couple next door. Ultimately I got about an hour of sleep, total. I do not recommend this B&B unless they have made some serious changes to their decor and service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple