All reviews cafe no se apple tv bunk room aesop toiletries avocado toast lobby bar concrete ceiling ace hotel cool shops great boutique stylish hotel poor lighting street noise continental club happy hour fantastic hotel rooftop pool
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel is very trendy but also has very attentive staff who go out of there way to chat & help. Located in the quirky SoCo area with lots to take in. It is also only a 5 min walk to the Bat bridge.
We would definitely staff here again when in Austin next.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Jason B, Manager at South Congress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write kind words about our team. Please reach out to us directly when you return; we love taking care of our repeat guests!

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Very clean, quiet & chic. Fun area around the neighborhood. No sign of valet, doorman or bell hop. Great drinks in the adjoining bar. If you don't mind having your roommate/partner watch you take a shower, you'll probably think this hotel is very cool.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 5 October 2017

Thank you Lorri for choosing South Congress Hotel! We appreciate your comments about the ambiance of our property as well as the detail of our housekeeping team. We are happy our South Congress location offered you the variety you desired to enjoy your recent visit to Austin. Did you have drinks in the Lobby Bar or at Central Standard? While we do offer 24 hour valet and bell service, I'm so sorry they weren't there to assist with your arrival or departure. That is both uncommon and unacceptable. Please reach out to us directly prior to your next trip to town, and we will ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

My sis and I stayed at this hotel to test it out before renting out a block of rooms for an event next year. The design/furnishings/aesthetics -- the California king bed, leather seating bench, and modern bathroom fixtures -- are really nice. And it was clean! That's a rarity these days. We brought cleaning supplies to test the maids' cleanliness and djd the infamous white glove test. All surfaces were clean -- including the bathroom sink and toilet!!! Save some overly exuberant guests, the hotel was relatively quiet. Of course, we had a room overlooking the courtyard -- which may have helped with the noise. The hotel is also located in the heart of activity and restaurants which makes it perfect for those looking for things to do. There was an awful smell in the hallways (like several people had walked all over the carpet straight from the pool and dropped chlorine everywhere). However our praises for the hotel waned for 2 reasons: horrible internet connection and subpar food.

The internet crawled and often crashed. For people who use devices having a good internet connection is important.

As for the food, we were disappointed. We ordered freshly squeezed orange juice and 2 dishes for breakfast from the hotel's Café No Sé.: the Egg and Cheese on a Roll and the Granola & Yogurt. The egg and cheese on a roll came with sausage on it and was served with diced potatoes on the side. For starters the food was not hot. The eggs, which had carmelized onions were liquidy (our own made up word) and had a seasoning that did not blend well with the aged cheddar or with the sausage. Plus the sausage had a weird seasoning. The potatoes were cold, had no salt and were greasy. Instead of finishing it, we decided to try the granola & yogurt. This was also disappointing. The granola tasted like it had some sort of spicy seasoning on it which did not taste good with the tartness of the berries and didn't taste good with the vanilla honey Greek yogurt. I never thought this dish could be ruined, but it was. There were too many flavors competing in one dish. It would've been better to have served plain Greek yogurt with plain granola, fresh fruit and some fresh honey on the side. Finally we tasted the orange juice. While my sis liked it, I felt it tasted like a blend of orange juice with some lemon squeezed in it. At any rate, the food wasn't the best.

All in all a nice hotel; but you might want to eat elsewhere. And be prepared to pay $32/night for valet parking which gives you in and out privileges. Otherwise there are no in and out privileges if you park your own vehicle.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 26 September 2017

Thank you for staying with us at South Congress Hotel. While thrilled to hear you enjoyed the design elements of the property as well as the cleanliness of the rooms, we are disappointed to hear you had a subpar food and beverage experience. With three restaurants on property and four others around town, we certainly strive to provide a superlative dining experience to anyone that enters one of our doors. So sorry things did not work out this time. If you would like to discuss the breakfast in further detail, please reach out to either me or Karla Zarate, our Food & Beverage Director. We would love to learn more about whether it was an In Room Dining experience or actually in the cafe so we may make corrections for future guests.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

We spent the first night of a bachelorette party at South Congress Hotel and absolutely loved it. We were upgraded to a suite, which was super nice of the front desk. The pool we extremely chill and exactly what we were looking for. The location is perfect and super close to downtown. The staff was incredible and the design is clean and very "Austin". The lobby bar and Mediterranean restaurant were excellent! We would come back time and time again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 26 September 2017

Thank you so much for choosing South Congress Hotel for your recent bachelorette party. We host quite a few of "girl's weekends", and we love the energy groups such as yours bring to our property. Happy to hear you managed to spend time at the pool, lobby bar, and one of our restaurants. Please do come see us again soon!

Reviewed 19 September 2017

I spend on average of five nights a month in hotels, mostly in the US but also in other parts of the world. I think therefore I’m qualified to rant.
Traveling on business is an in-and-out process and I tend to stick to the better chains, so that being in different cities I don’t have to think too hard
about what it means to be in a Sheraton/Marriott/Hyatt wherever I am.

This stay was a vacation stay and we decided to try something more boutique(y) in Austin nearer to some of the cool places. We choose this place
because it had a pool, and was near to the places we wanted to eat and listen to music. Really a great location, hands down, on the edge in SoCo. Everything and everyone is so cool and so hip……..I would probably go back because of the location, and might even recommend it albeit with caveats….
On a good note, the welcome at the door is one of the highlights and the attending valets/doormen seem to know their stuff, they genuinely make one feel welcome
The Lobby bar is a really nice venue with a great ambience and vibe especially later in the evening
Despite the wonders of having an individual wifi and Apple TV etc, in the room the Hotel room design cannot have been conceived by someone who stays in hotels for either leisure or business….no chair for desk instead a bench. So many of us combine business and leisure so we’d appreciate a chair with a back on it so we sit a desk.
Wardrobe - these ones, whats the point ? Even if I close the shutter it I’m staring at my suit while I lay in bed
Lighting seems like a cross between Memphis and 1980 German industrial design - no light in the room entrance as such
Theres one over basin mirror in the room so while one person is using the bathroom the other is relegate to using an iPad to put do a face - come one guys - even the Holiday Inn and full length or at least a second mirror in each room
Cool wire waste basket in the room - which is a useful as a chocolate teapot if you put anything smaller than a post-it in it as it just falls through - anything with crumbs one might as well throw directly on the floor
Bathroom - nice cool designer basin with almost no space to put anything down. One has to use the shelves beside it( already full of stuff) to store anything. As a guy with just shave foam/razor/toothbrush/deodorant I was stretched- how of girls do it with their lippy, mascara, foundation, powder, eyeliners, moisturizer - never mind a beauty box?Shower - nothing to stop the spray going all over the floor which then becomes am accident hazard as the floor is slippy even when its not wet- not safe for any age - who did this get past building code ?
Sink Faucet- starts at 100’s of degrees before you get to cold- really ? ‘Cause most people like to briefly rinse their hands after taking a pee in scalding water rather than just a quick rinse under a cold tap? Admittedly they fixed this when we informed them that the tap wouldn’t actually shut off
Issues - three requests within half an hour got me an ironing board, the same with the faucet repair when it wouldn’t stop running
Booking - I tried to book with the hotel direct - and they claim to be the cheapest - but booking.com provided a rate at least $90 cheaper per night…..mentioned this checking in and was told they’d upgrade us ……but then ten minutes later ‘oh sorry - you’ll have to stay where you booked ‘cause we’ll be full and you’re staying too long”
Pool - lovely layout - tres moderne - but if you want to get out of your wet swimmies there's no where to change much less have a pee. Get back to your room. There was broken glass under one of the loungers - found out that by stepping on it
A simple question at reception from one person was met with dismay - “I’ve never done it” - come on, know your city. Cool people take the bus. There’s no point in eating kale three times a day if you’re going to pollute it all again.
The Mañana Cafe does great coffee, and I know a good coffee take a little time, but there were moments I wanted to jump over the counter and make it myself - between barristas yacking about their nights out before (fascinating) to moving at a pace I could've soled their shoes at the same time it was a little irritating. Having done this job in my younger years I can say I would’ve been fired quickly if i'd worked at this pace. The only reason I didn’t have more than coffee each day was I hadn’t the patience to sit through this coffee being symphony more than once in a day.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple