“Remodeling a major pain.”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #61 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The twp bedroom suite was smaller than expected. It had a very tiny living room, and the bedrooms were small. The are remodeling and we got a flat from a screw in the parking lot. The one postivie is the valet parker changed are tire before bringing the car up to us.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

I stayed at the Residence Inn Downtown Austin for 4 nights. Overall it was good, but there were some problems that were big drawbacks.

Pros:
* Good location near the convention center
* Room was nicely sized (but it most assuredly just one room)
* There were 18 electrical outlets
* Tasty breakfast
* Staff always greeted me

Cons:
* I was there for 4 days and my toiletries were not replaced.
* Breakfast was a little weird. While the food was good, you were seated and sorta waited on. I'd much rather just grab my own table and bus myself.
* Every elevator I was in had an inspection certificate in it. Every certificate was expired. Maybe the up-to-date certificates were in the office, but it's odd that they would leave the expired certificates in the elevator sitting there staring at the guests.
* The dead bolt to my door was broken. I didn't notice it until my second day because the knob would turn but the latching mechanism didn't turn. I told the front desk when I first noticed it, and they told me that maintenance would be up immediately to fix it. I returned later, and it wasn't fixed. I told them again about the issue the next morning and again they told me that it would be fixed immediately. Again it wasn't. This was a safety issue, and as a woman traveling alone, I feel as though my safety was not their primary concern. If it had been, they would have either fixed the door or moved me to a room in which the door was in proper working order.

Between the dead bolt and the expired elevator inspections I was truly disappointed in their apparent lack of concern in their guests safety.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I want to address the deadbolt first. As a single traveler I understand the importance of your securty and we do take that very seriously. All of our dead bolts are Automatic Engage deadbolts. Unlike the old fashion versions these engage immedialty when the door closes. Our team did look at the door and it was functioning perfectly both times. We failed by not explaining the functionality of the dead bolt and I have address the improtance of follow thru with my team. The elevators have been inspected in 2012 and we are awaiting the certificates. After reading your comments I placed the passed inspection reciept in each elevator so not to raise concern while we await the updated certificates. I am pleased you enjoyed the breakfast offerings. We do provide a host and restaurant attendants to eliminate the 'hovering' for a table and to eliminate the need for our valued guests to have to clean up after breakfast.

Thank you again for your feedback. We will use this information for our training program.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

As a Marriott Platinum member, I stay in a lot of different Marriott products, first off this is a Residence Inn, so I don't expect the same level of service as I do at higher end properties....However, I do expect the sheets will be changed at least once in a four night stay. Not only were the sheets never changed, the bottom sheet was torn right in the middle of the sleeping area, not at an edge or on the side. Not pleasant.

Was there on business, attending a conference that was housed at the Hilton one block away, very convenient for convention center business.

Room is small for a suite, as others have mentioned, but for 2 worked it was well laid out. Elevators slow. Room to room noise and noise from hallway louder than most places -- being here on business nightly 2am noise makers returning from 6th street was disturbing.

On the positive side: Gym is very good. The breakfast and manager's reception (Tues-Thursday) were excellent...the best ever for a Residence Inn...however with the construction, these were served in the Champions Restaurant so food was restaurant quality not RI Gatehouse quality.

Overall had a good visit to Austin. Took Airport Flyer, Bus 100 from Airport to hotel and return trip, $1. Leaves every 30 minutes from far right side of airport terminal ground transportation, with stop at 4th and Trinity (where the RI is!).

Within two blocks are several good restaurants, Chez Nous, Iron Works BBQ, Manuels, Congress Bar...all very good.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank trimtabvirginia
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Thank you for letting us know about your visit. We are truely upset at the torn sheet and housekeeping service you recived. That is not the way we operate and will be sure to address in training with our housekeeping team. As a unique duel property we enjoy offering the Residence Inn Social and Breakafst in Champions. This allows for the upgraded experience. Rest assured we will continue to offer the same experience post construction as the feed back from our frequent Residence Inn guest has been very positive.

Thank you again for your Business!

Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night on Saturday, April 21, 2012 in order to attend the Reggae Festival. It’s on 4th street giving it an awesome view of the city. We stayed here because it was affordable, close to 6th street and within walking distance to Auditorium Shores, the location of the event.

-Service/Parking
When we drove up to the hotel we were greeted by the parking crew. They were nice, explained everything to us and offered to help us with our bags, which was cool!

-Room
The room was great; it was a really nice size. It had floor to ceiling windows which made it feel bright and airy. It had a separate seating area and a nice sized kitchenette filled with everything we would need to cook a full-sized meal and to clean up afterwards; pots and pans, cooking utensils, a dishwasher, microwave, full sized fridge and stove.

The bed was nice and had a lot of comfy pillows, but the linens were standard.
The vanity was separate from the toilet and shower/tub which made it convenient when the mister and I were getting ready for the day.

The bathroom was okay; it had no fan and weird lighting.

The closet was spacious, but a little annoying with the mirror sliding doors because they often fell off of the track.

-Perks
Parking: We had to pay for parking with in and out privileges, but we were okay with that, because we knew where it was and it would be safe. One less thing we had to worry about.

The hotel has a restaurant called Champions, which serves the buffet breakfast in the morning and also provides room service. The breakfast was really awesome. The best free-breakfast I’ve ever had at a hotel. They had a lot of variety: French toast, perfect breakfast potatoes, sausage, bacon, country fried steak, biscuits and gravy, and a make your own waffle station with cool toppings like strawberries and chocolate chips. They also had really fresh fruit and other items I can’t remember, because there was so much delicious food.

They have a fitness center, whirlpool, pool and rooftop terrace which are all very nice and open at a convenient time, 6:30AM.

This hotel is really awesome. They are currently renovating, so I’m excited to see all the great changes they made. This will be the hotel we stay at every time we visit Austin…it’s that great. I get so excited just thinking about it!! I can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

What an fantastic review! I will be sure to share with the entire team that made you stay memorable. The Courtyard Lobby Renovation is complete and almost all of the rooms have been completed. We look forward to entertaining again soon.

One Love

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Not often you get to a hotel and downgrade your room but in this case that is exactly what we did. "Suite" was very small (excellent for 1 person) but we were two adults and two kids. What were they thinking?! We changed to the Courtyard (down the hall - very strange layout- to a room with two queen beds. Very standard but adequate. Staff seemed overly distracted with renovation (they were working at one desk when I went up to the room, tried to call the Front Desk and no answer several times) then came down to the Front Desk where I had checked in and no one was there - but around the corner at another desk.
But - if you want location - this was it! Thoroughly enjoyed Austin!

Room Tip: Traveling alone? Go for the Residence Inn. With kids or companion? Go for the Courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Elslord,
I appreciate your time to provide feedback on your stay with us. My appologies for the confusion at the expanded front desk at the Residence Inn that we were operating from while the Courtyard Front Desk was being renovated. We added the second desk directly at the entry to the elevators so it was visible from the entire lobby.
At Residence Inn we offer Studio and one bedroom suites with a queen bed and a sleeper sofa as well as a two bedroom suite with a queen bed in each bedroom and a sleeper sofa. At the Courtyard both King rooms and 2 Queen Bed rooms are available.
The lobby construction will be wrapping up today. I do hope you visit the property again to see the hotel completly refreshed.

Thank you again.