“Must have their chaat”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 15 March 2016

We are hooked to their chat. Love all the items on their menu. Personal favorites are Sev Puri, Dahi Puri & Ragada Patties. Been there on multiple occasions. The service is quick, prices reasonable. Family friendly, plenty of parking.

Reviewed 8 February 2016

While traveling to Austin recently, a friend and I found Swad Vegetarian Indian cuisine. The area is quite plain, amidst gas stations, and such, but the food was very good. Portions were hefty. Prepare to take home leftovers. I recommend the Pakora varieties, such as the Indian Tofu, served with spicy and sweet sauces. Very good! I also had Indian puffy bread with chickpea stew. Namaste.

Reviewed 21 September 2015

We walked half a mile in the dark from our hotel to reach this restaurant so we were keen to try it. We queued to see the single menu, waited some 10 minutes whilst a party of three in front of us discussed the various merits of the cuisine with the staff. Then were pushed back in the line when friends of others sat inside cut the line in front of us. We waited another 5 minutes then gave up and crossed the road for a vegetarian Pizza. The restaurant staff never acknowledged our presence and doubtless didn't miss us. The food is probably lovely but take a chair and a book to read whilst you wait for service.

1  Thank Holidaysurfer_10
Reviewed 18 September 2015

Swad came highly recommended, but I was very disappointed with the food and the service. It smelled so good when I walked in and the restaurant was clean, but I waited and waited for service and there were hardly any customers in there at the time. The waiter finally came over, but instead of coming to my table, he took my order leaning over a dividing wall between the front door and my table. I ordered the Garlic Naan Shak, which the waiter said is garlic naan with 3 curries. The naan had way too much garlic, and I love garlic. It tasted like dehydrated garlic flakes rather than fresh garlic, but when I asked I was told it was fresh garlic. The sweet potato curry was delicious but the pea and eggplant curry looked very unappetizing; it was dry and it did not taste good. The dahl hardly had any lentils in it.. it was like a watery sauce. On top of that it was served in an aluminum plate, and I don't do aluminum. I think I ordered the wrong thing because some of the items arriving at other tables looked delicious. I will go again and order a Dosa or some of the other pastry items and avoid the curries. I wanted to end the meal with fresh coconut juice, but the waiter never came back to see if I needed anything. I even had to go up to the counter to get my check. I was essentially ignored. I will go back though to try their Dosas since they looked so good, and everyone else there seemed to be enjoying their meal. Asides the bad service, I think I just ordered the wrong thing.

Reviewed 10 August 2015

Walking in, I immediately knew I was in for some serious food as I looked around and saw that everyone already seated and eating was Indian/South Asian. The restaurant itself is very unassuming and borders on hole in the wall - counter service, cutlery in a sorter next to the register, pitchers of either chilled water or room temperature water that you bring to the table yourself, and styrofoam plates. But the food, as suspected, is seriously good.

The veggie pakoras are so delicious it feels wrong eating them. Understand that this sentiment comes from someone who is both gluten allergic and vegan - my mind was happily blown. And I was told that the dosas are huge, but when it arrived on the table, I was still surprised. And gluten free and vegan? My eyes were wide in disbelief the entire meal to the amusement of my company. And the sauces are truly more than a garnish or something to dip in - they are stars in and of themselves. The coconut chutney and the tamarind sauce are my favorites.

I have since brought friends here on multiple occasions, and the experience has always been consistently delicious. And I will continue bringing friends and family here.