“A slice of Texas History”

Bullock Texas State History Museum
Ranked #4 of 326 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum that chronicles the history of Texas with three themed exhibits: Land, Identity and Opportunity.
tiffhernan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A slice of Texas History”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

When you first walk in the mural on the floor and the capitol style dome are eye catching and beautiful. The museum has a lot of great information for history buffs. I consider myself one but found the main exhibits to be kind of dry and boring. I wouldn't really recommend it for children under middle school age because it just won't hold their attention. The imax theater is really awesome and they have a great interactive theater telling the Story of Texas. I would definitely recommend both of these for all ages. I have seen the rotating exhibit twice and loved it both times. I have seen the one on space and the one on the migration of settlers in Texas. Both were excellent.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Turkish first
Fort Hood, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Family Friendly”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Our family came to visit from NYC so this was a nice trip to visit from Fort Hood, TX

Visited August 2011
Arlington, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“What A Find!”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Don't let the name of this museum turn you off. It is so rich with history --- about the founding of Texas and this country. I happily spent several hours in the exhibits. I went early, got my entrance ticket as well as the ticket for the IMAX movie I wanted to see. I got a discount using my AAA card.

I also had a very good lunch in their cafe. Freshly made brisket quesidilla with freshly grilled vegetables that were delicious.

Visited April 2012
Qld, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing...could've spent all day there.”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

In fact I think I did spend all day there. You wouldn't think you could fill a 3-storey building with the history of just one state, but there was so much crammed in!!! I wish I could go back again. It was well-laid out - early history on the ground floor, revolutionary period on the 2nd (love love loved it!) and recent pop culture/history on the top. Must see to anyone because there were so many amazing stories to discover
(and the giant Texas lone star at the front of the building is a great photo opportunity, lol)

Visited October 2011
Palm Bay, Florida
159 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 258 helpful votes
“Good museum, but crowded and noisy.”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We visited on a school day and there were loads of kids there on a field trip. It was good to see children being educated in the history of their state, but it was noisy and crowded. The kids for the most part behaved, but they were kids! We were almost stumbling on them everywhere! We saw two multimedia shows that were outstanding. We would have seen more, but it was just too much for us grandparents! We would love to go back on a very slow day and take our time to see everything.

Visited April 2012