“Beautifully designed!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Fort Worth, Texas
“Beautifully designed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I absolutely adore this hotel! Beautifully transformed by Lake Flato Architects into a sleek, modern oasis in the heart of the city. The rooms are minimal and comfortable. The courtyard and landscaping is artfully done and very inviting.Great retail and restaurants of South Congress in walking distance. Hope to stay again soon!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Yes, we are here right now! When we found out that we had to get a hotel in Austin due to a change in plans, we were scrambling for a place to stay. I had another, more traditionally upscale place in mind, but my son, and Austin resident, said he and his wife have always dreamed of staying here. They said it was right in the middle of a very cool part of the city, and that it was PERFECTLY representative of the funky cool aspect of Austin. I confess I grimaced when I heard the description. I didn't want to stay in a noisy, funky neighborhood and be kept up all night by the noise of loud music and the constant noise of Austin nightlife. Was I ever surprised! The place is Zen-like in its peacefulness. We're in a suite, minimalist in feel, furnished in iconic Mid-Century style, and impossibly endearing. In the bathroom we found a page of Yeats poetry stuck to the wall-Yeats' "The Second Coming". Ahh, those college poetry days. The hotel bathrobes are soft cotton Navajo prints, the beds are covered in "hippie blankets," those endearing wood block-printed spreads we used as bed covers or room dividers during our own college days. The place is a treasure, and yes, it is within walking distance of the activities of South Congress (we cruised the nearby food trailers for an unforgettable dining experience!), but is quiet indeed, with rooms opening to courtyards away from the hustle and bustle I'm loving it here. I hope to come back again!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 32, a large space with extra room for our UT college student to join us for the ni...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Verukah
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I'm torn about giving this hotel a 3 or 4 star rating, actually. I wish I could give it a 3.5. However, while in Austin, we actually stayed at two different hotels (see my other reviews for Austin) because I love a good hotel, travel quite a bit, and couldn't decide between the two and decided to try them both out so as to have a "go to" hotel for future visits to Austin.
The pros:
-Very friendly front desk. Pleasant and fast check in. We arrived a bit early and they quickly found us a room that was ready instead of waiting until the stated check in time
-Parking was easy and close
-Great little outdoor area where you can order drinks and light food. Chilly night and the heat lamps were on. Nice music, atmosphere. Hardly anyone there that night so you could actually have a conversation over a glass of wine.
-The standard rooms are nice and stylish but they are pretty small. Definitely a cool Austin vibe without trying too hard.
-Nice bath products and really cool bed throws and bathrobes.
-Location. Can't really beat the location in Austin.

The cons:
-The room was small. Even for a standard room, it was a bit tight for a couple
-The grounds were a bit unkempt. Not sure if it was because of the season but it seemed a tiny bit shabby.
-The room we had faced Congress...directly across from the Continental and it got quite loud. We were woken up a few times from the music as well as people walking by and screaming as we were literally maybe two feet away from the sidewalk on the ground floor. There is a door to the hotel grounds that seemed to be left open all night which made us feel a bit uncomfortable and not very private. Had the hotel been full, I could understand that sometimes the luck of the draw means sometimes, you have to get the loudest room...BUT we saw maybe two other guests our entire time there so clearly there were other rooms they could have given us that would have made our stay so much more pleasant. For that reason alone, I can't give them a 4 star review.
-We got a pretty decent price for the hotel HOWEVER, I really, really hate that at every turn, they were trying to sell something. I understand that you have to pay for mini bar items but really....not even a complimentary bottle of water or coffee in the room? They were even trying to sell flip flops and a pair of shoes for some reason in the bathroom...it seemed like every single item in the room had a price tag on it. It came off as tacky and unnecessary and was a total turn off. This combined with the room selection/location issue above are really the big reasons I can't give this a 4 star.

All said, I think the San Jose could be a really nice place to stay----with a few minor improvements, I would probably return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Congress. You won't get much sleep if you are facing it.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank fsgnyc
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed over the weekend & had a great time. The hotel was close to everything & the service was excellent, check in was a breeze & room service was fast. The bar & restaurant had good prices & great food. Even the morning buffet was great. The only thing to complain about was the room was a little outdated. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Laura P
Grand Coulee, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

The landscaping and outdoor space at this hip hotel was beautiful and great for hanging out between walks in the South Congress area and throughout town. My 8 year old daughter had a blast in the small pool which was still warm enough for swimming in November. The noise level in your room really depends on your neighbors but we didn't have much trouble and the plusses far outweighed any negatives at this cool spot.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms adjacent to the outdoor bar and pool area if you want quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family