“OMG! I want to move in!”

Kimber Modern Hotel
Ranked #1 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“OMG! I want to move in!”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My magnificent stay started immediately upon my arrival. I had booked the Yellow room, and the staff casually asked if I would like a free upgrade to the White Suite! Of course I would! This place was fantastic in every way. It was spotless! I NEVER take a bath in hotel tubs, but this one was so sparkly clean that I could not resist. The suite had a private courtyard, lots of quiet, and the complimentary beverages in the fridge were a nice touch. The hotel is a contemporary dream. The common courtyard was even more impressive than the pictures, and don't get me started on the free happy hour and breakfast! The breakfast food was displayed beautifully ----- fresh fruit, breakfast breads, boiled eggs, and juice in the fridge. You help yourself so you feel right at home. And the staff spent a good hour or more giving me tips on shopping (I was looking for unique furniture pieces), and printing off directions to each store! Wow! I was sad when I had to leave. From now on every trip I make to Austin will include a stay at the Kimber. And I even got to see the owner's dog Pepper sneak through the suite courtyard ------ apparently on her way to visit a friend next door :). I felt so at home here. Can I move in??

Room Tip: I saw the Yellow Room, the Red Suite and the White Suite. They are all fantastic, though the White S...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Pros

Clean, comfortable room with style
Excellent shower, bath products and towels
Free wifi and parking
The courtyard area is a great spot for a cup of coffee in the morning or a drink in the evening
Walking distance to some fun bars and restaurants
No need to check in or check out-- it's all done in advance

Cons

Some noise from a nearby bar
Staff are rarely seen-- this place is best for independent travelers

Overall Impression: A great place-- thumbs up!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 February 2012

About 40 years ago, ATMs were introduced to the banking industry and now one rarely has to see or talk with an actual teller. Automatic checkouts at the grocery store, convenience store, and hardware store mean the same thing. So is it possible that, on some scale, the hospitality industry is heading that way? If so, the Kimber Modern should be a case study on how to do it right.

My experience with the Kimber Modern began with an exceptionally friendly staff member, Sarah, via phone. She helped me work through booking several rooms during a period when the small hotel was quite busy. Her knowledge, follow-up, and accommodating spirit started things off on a high note. As promised, we all received our codes along with a detailed folio summary immediately after making reservations. Upon arrival, Carrie welcomed us to the property and made certain we were comfortable.

As other reviewers have noted, the beautiful photos accurately depict the property (which is a rarity). Located a couple hundred feet up from South Congress, the Kimber Modern is in a wonderful location that affords easy access to restaurants and cafes, gourmet food trucks, bars, and shopping. I also completely agree that it is one of the most impeccably clean hotels I’ve ever stayed in. The rooms and common areas are in perfect order with no wear at all, the linens and other amenities seem brand new, and there is clearly pride and professionalism from the housekeeping staff. I was always up early and the gentleman who prepares breakfast in the common area was welcoming and friendly even though I think I was in his way – truly a great guy.

The one recurring theme from other travels that I struggled with last week was that the property is quiet. Perhaps it was just the week I visited or the room I had, or perhaps I’m just super sensitive (likely), but I wouldn’t describe it as quiet (hence the missing final circle). Someone in an establishment nearby had an exuberant way of discarding beer bottles – it was almost as if they were dropped from an airplane – and that went on well into the evening. I suppose that’s the only downside of Kimber Modern’s hip location. I downloaded a white noise app for my phone and that seemed to help a bit.

As for the four digit codes and not seeing many staffers, I think it was pretty darn cool. My sense is that they were there if you needed them and they were all about service. When you didn’t need them, the minimalism of this approach made the Kimber Modern feel more like one's own home (a home I’d be so very proud of).

If you are planning a trip to Austin for business or pleasure, I highly recommend the Kimber Modern. Exceptional people who are there when you need them, and an exceptionally stylish, clean, and comfortable place to stay. And, for me, an ideal location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank StuckInStLouis
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Other people have said enough, so I'll just agree.. Very relaxing, well cared-for, great location, friendly, quiet ... I would stay here again, no question. Great place to take a group of friends too.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed at the Purple room (with balcony) this past weekend and absolutely loved my experience. The hotel looks exactly as pictured, so just check out the website for photos. It's perfect for urban travelers who prefer tasteful design and intimate setting to reward points and business facilities in a hotel. It's also more suitable for leisure travelers who need a weekend getaway or come to Austin for its live music scene. But the hotel is not just about appearance, it offers great convenience and all the daily basics to guests. The check-in/out process is so unique and makes you feel right at home. Also, the skin and hair care products in the bathroom are top-notch. You don't need to pack your own, seriously. The SoCo neighborhood offers a variety of food and retail choices, once you step outside. This hotel is worth every penny!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo