Kimber Modern Hotel
US$ 252
  • Restaurant
US$ 93
CandlewoodSuites
aloft Austin at the Domain(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$ 240
US$ 171
Aloft.com
La Quinta Inn Austin North(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$ 97
Residence Inn Austin North/Parmer Lane(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$ 156
Residence Inn
US$ 67
US$ 65
All reviewscommon roomwhite suitesouth congresskeyless entrycontinental clubbeautiful treeoutdoor common areacommunity roomaccess codemalin and goetzsoco districthard boiled eggscomplimentary beerespresso machineprivate patioyogurtnever stay anywhere else
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This was my first stay at the Kimber, and I was very pleased. Though small like a B&B (there are just 7 rooms), everything about the Kimber is quiet, discrete and tasteful; the staff seems to make every effort to be invisible (though the office is right there if you need them for something) while providing whatever you might need. There is a beautiful common area where you might interact with other guests, but in general this is a perfect choice if you want to be on your own and not have to make chit-chat with an innkeeper.

The location is great in that it's just off the main drag (South Congress); you are literally mere steps away from The Continental Club, etc. That said, if you are in a front-facing room, as I was, you might hear some street noise. While I found it quiet enough during the week, on Friday night I could hear the activity from nearby restaurants. There is also a train that goes by somewhere, and I noticed that on Friday night I could hear the train whistle a lot. The other two nights it didn't bother me.

All rooms face a beautiful tree-house like courtyard. In the evening there was a happy hour if you wanted to help yourself and sit on a couch or hammock under the trees.

My room was kept immaculate all three days. The bed very comfortable, with wonderful fluffy soft pillows. Provided were bathrobes, umbrellas, an iron and board, and the toiletries include really nice soap, shampoo, etc. plus a toothbrush, toothpaste, a shaver, and q-tips and cotton balls. Wi-fi is included.

This was the first time I've stayed at a hotel without any complaints. Even the breakfast (fresh fruit, granola, yogurt, banana bread, bagels, hard boiled eggs) was always fresh and delicious. I recommend this hotel if you are a quiet person who values peaceful surroundings and attention to style and beauty.

Room Tip: The purple and blue rooms face the street. The yellow room and White Suite face the back. Not sure about the others.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

...and so much more. This is a beautifully designed hotel, in a great neighborhood of Austin. We stayed in the Green balcony room, and our friends stayed in the White suite. Both were nice though the White suite seems like the way to go if you're feeling spendy. It had an amazing deck and a bathroom that we all wanted to make our forever-home. The common areas (a large deck and kitchen/living room) are spacious and that's where you can find the free M&Ms as well as breakfast and coffee and chilled water etc. And of course the all-important happy hour! This was such a relaxing and inspiring place to stay. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I recently stayed at the Kimber Modern for a few nights in December. I also stayed at another nearby hotel (San Jose) for one night (which I also reviewed) because I wanted to try both so as to have a "go to hotel in Austin" for future visits and both of these hotels looked nice and interesting and wanted to check them both out. It's also helpful for this review because I was really able to compare them side by side and I know they are both very popular hotels in this area of Austin.

I was torn about the rating for San Jose and I am also torn about this one.

It is definitely between a "good---3 star" and "very good--4 star" rating....but since I am not given that option with this rating system, I can't give the Kimber an "average" rating since it was certainly not that.

While it was definitely not the most spectacular hotel I have ever stayed in we did enjoy our stay.

It is not for everyone though, so if you enjoy having a person at a desk to answer questions or being able to go to someone for help or service, this is not for you.
I personally did not mind not having someone there. We saw the owner twice briefly in passing and another person who worked there once in the common area. The owner was friendly enough and asked how we were enjoying our stay. Nothing more. Which, to be honest, was fine.
The woman we saw briefly in the common area was not as friendly. She didn't say a word to us until we spoke to her. We asked if there were any more cups for coffee and she gruffly replied: "they aren't ready". Nothing more. Pretty unfriendly. Again, I don't mind not having someone there to take care of our every need but it would have been nice if the one time we saw someone actually working there, they were at least friendly.

The hotel itself is very nice though. It was chilly and rainy during our visit so we did not get to spend any time outside although it did look like a very nice place to enjoy a cup of coffee outside and maybe a few minutes relaxing with a book. They might have had one, but I didn't see it (and again, there is no one there to ask)....but a heat lamp, or something to warm up, would have been super nice out there.

What I liked about the hotel:
It is quiet and well maintained. We had a room that overlooked the street and I was worried about street noise but we hardly heard anything.
I liked the happy hour daily. You can grab your own drink (bottled water, wine, beer, tea coffee etc) and they have some light food as well. Very nice... everything they had out was of much better quality than a normal hotel happy hour. You can grab tea or coffee at any hour of the day which was great because the coffee/espresso machine was AMAZING. I love espresso and this machine made really great stuff.
Our room was comfortable and a bit bigger than the one we had at San Jose. The beds are comfortable, the shower is great. They have nice products in the bathroom.
It is incredibly clean.
Great location.
We had no trouble parking.
Much quieter location just off of Congress---all the convenience but none of the noise.

On to the things I didn't love:
The one person working there that we actually saw could have been a friendlier representation of the hotel.
It costs almost double what we paid at the San Jose. I did enjoy our stay here more....but I'm not sure we enjoyed it twice as much to justify the cost. I think I will actually be torn the next time I am in Austin about where to stay based on the cost here.

Bottom line:
This is definitely more of a hotel for "grown-ups" than the San Jose....which is a GOOD thing. It is quiet, comfortable and the design is very, very nice.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fsgnyc
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Lovely place with no expense spared- especially loved the white suite; happy hour; hammocks; keyless entry; vicinity (easy walk) to the finest dining and hip shopping; comfy beds; fantastic coffee machine in common area.....This is a tiny slice of heaven. I don't want to go home.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Bigmommakory
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Just got back from a two night stay and everything was great. When we arrived, we went right to our room using our code. Happy hour was in progress at the time and we immediately grabbed a beer and lounged in one of the hammocks in the common area. After resting up we hit the scene in south congress. I can recommend the hotel if you want a relaxing, unobtrusive, architecturally appealing, clean, and centrally located stay.

• Stayed: December 2011