New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center

AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center
Ranked #27 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Like a palace while the royal family is away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

My wife, son. and I stayed for one night at ATT Executive Education and Conference Center. We would not have selected it because of its distance from Sixth Street, but it was offered on Hotwire as a downtown hotel for a good discount. We were impressed with what a good deal they offered.

Pros. Large rooms, bathroom a bit small but adequate
Two people could use facilities at same time because toilet-shower was separated from sink by a sliding door.
Free wi-fi for any number of devices, strong signal
Lovely palatial building almost empty when there is no convention
Good selection of channels on plasma screen TV
Extremely helpful and friendly staff. All women at reception were friendly and charming.
When they asked how was our stay, I commented that the lettuce in the Caesar salad at Gabriel was bitter, and the lady at reception took the salad off our bill
Decent prices at Carrillon for breakfast and Gabriel at lunch. I highly recommend the Turkey BLT at Gabriel.
Very convenient neighborhood at MLK Blvd not far from downtown. Interesting restaurants in neighborhood.
Lovely view of campus tower from street in front of the building.
The few guests at the hotel were quiet, adult
Typical clean, like new university campus building
Parking for $14 per night with right to come and go as often as you please
Very liberal late check out policy when there is no convention. We checked out at 3:30 because we had a late flight
It's actually quite easy to find 2 hour parking on East 6th street during the daytime. We were told that it's easier and cheaper to take a taxi to Sixth Street at night. Taxis wait outside the Convention Center

Cons.
Not within walking distance of Sixth Street. I actually consider this a plus
The toilet used compressed air so it was loud when it was flushed

Maybe our experience was so positive because there were no crowds staying there. We were very pleasantly surprised to see how convenient and friendly and economical ATT was. All of the reception staff and the waitress named Saba were especially memorable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Providence
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I was at the Center for a U of T event, so it was very convenient; but true, it is not convenient to downtown. (There is a cheap and reliable bus which I used, and it's also a cheap a not-too-slow way to get to and from the airport. At the airport just ask at the information booth what bus to take to the ATT Conference Center.)

I found the interior very pleasant: light, rather grand without being at all pretentious. The room was fine, nothing remarkable except the free wifi is shockingly fast for a hotel.

I was quite happy with my stay. Maybe I didn't expect as much as others. (I find it incomprehensible that a traveler would blame a hotel for not being what Priceline advertised. You book on Priceline to get rock bottom prices, not to get exactly the location and amenities you wanted!)

And I second the recommendation of Gabriel's. Smart, friendly staff, *loved* the short rib tacos.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Crito0
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

We booked this hotel through Priceline. After 3 similar experiences we will never use again. The hotel is rated as a 4 star hotel in downtown Austin. Neither is accurate. The hotel is on the University of Texas campus. While a nice area it is not downtown. The hotel staff readily tells you there are no nice restaurants or shopping areas near the hotel. A shuttle is advertised to take you within two miles of the property. A great idea except it is always out of commission. Second, the rooms, bed, bathroom and amenities are not of 4 star quality. Very similar to basic Marriott. The beds are marginally comfortable but not a high end hotel quality. The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean. However, these things should be a given at all average properties which is what this is. Not bad but not a four star hotel and not downtown.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Midland, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

I have stayed at the hotel twice for company recruiting on the UT Campus. Being a UT Alum, I loved the atmosphere of the hotel. The Burnt Orange pride runs deep in the decor and its really nice to see some of the historical items from the university. The location was also an easy walk over to the Jackson School of Geoscience.

My biggest complaints were in the quality of the guest rooms. The bedding was awful! It's very nice looking, but is super scratchy and uncomfortable. Also, both times I've stayed in the hotel, my toliet broke. The toliets are also SUPER LOUD, so you can commonly hear the wooshing of other room's facilities. The lighting in the vanity area is very poor. The shower in my room leaked water onto the floor. The last time I stayed there, one of the guest rooms even flooded! For a $250 per night room, you expect to have better quality. It's not awful, but it is marginal.

The staff in Gabriels was the highlight of the trip! They were so helpful and friendly. Other staff I encountered could learn a thing or two from those staff members! I had a billing mix up where I was charged for another person's room in addition to my own, and it took about 6 weeks to get the ordeal worked out. The ATT staff did not seem to care that it was causing issues for me. They assured me several times it was fixed, but it wasn't. Finally, I was able to get with a supervisor (even though I had asked to speak with one to start with) and she was able to clear it up.

I just expected more from this hotel. I think with a few minor tweaks, it could have been a great experience, but for me it wasn't.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
UT_Hotel, Manager at AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Dear UT_GEO_T:

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. It is always helpful to hear directly from our guests so that we may improve. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't the quality on which we pride ourselves. We have been experimenting with our laundry formulas for the right mix of starch and softener to make a crisp looking bed without loosing the softness. It looks as though we are not quite there yet. As for the bathroom, our toilets are very low flow as a part of our environmental program and the pressure helps get the job done with as little water as possible. The vanity lighting is scheduled to be improved very soon with a complete retrofit and we have fixed the shower in the room in which you stayed. I'm glad you had a great experience in Gabriel's but most concerned that our billing error wasn't immediately fixed. We will continue to make tweaks to our service and product so that future guests do not experience what you did. Thanks again!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Great room and conference food given the size of the conference. The location is extremely convenient to UT Austin. Conference facilities have been extremely good, though haven't had time to venture out yet

• Stayed November 2011