“Good room for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Plus Austin Central

Best Western Plus Austin Central
Ranked #117 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Plano, Texas
“Good room for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights. The room was not fancy or luxury, but it was functional and pretty clean. I was pleasantly surprised by a few items that were better than what I expected, like Wolfgang Puck's coffee, white ginger soap bar (smells good), body lotion (not all hotels provide this), and manager's reception in the evening (chips & salsa, soft drink, and wine/beer I think).
I need to say that the room is not big (both the bedroom area and the bathroom). For 1 or 2 people it would be OK, but for 4 people it will be crowded. The hotel location was good for me as it was easy to get to UT Austin from there - which was where I needed to go. Near the hotel there are several restaurants. Overall, for the $60/night that I paid, the hotel is a very good value.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Katy, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

For at least 1/3 of the price of fancier hotels, their ammenities are very comparable. From the weekday Happy Hour to the delicious full breakfast, this hotel has gone above and beyond to spoil their customers. The staff was very hospitable and genuinely concerned about providing outstanding customer service. Even though I wasn't as close to the venue as I could have been, it was worth the short drive for this amazing value.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here ACL weekend, and thought that the hotel was nice enough. About 24 hours after leaving the hotel, we both started itching all over. Soon, raised red bumps appeared all over our bodies, probably 15-20 total each. After doing some research, we found that they were indeed BEDBUG bites.

We contacted Ramada corporate, who told us to speak with the manager, Sam Wilson. A few days later, we received a letter from Mr. Wilson basically passing the buck. He stated that others had stayed in the room after us and had not reported bedbugs. He offered no sort of refund, grievance or apology other than a weak "thank you for staying with us and we trust you otherwise enjoyed your stay".

I spoke with him recently, and he remained in denial about the situation simply stating that there must be some other reason that we developed begbug bites. He even admitted that they had a bedbug infestation 6 months ago which he said "had been dealt with"!

I cannot fathom where else we could have developed bedbugs that weekend other than the hotel we slept in. Ramada's refusal to right the situation has led me to post my review on various sites so that others can be made aware of their lackluster customer service.

Beware of the bedbugs!

Room Tip: Not room 412!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank A A

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

San_Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Easy to get to...once you learn the I-35. Nice room, no hassles. I did not find any of the problems mentioned in previous review. Also I checked in quite late...after midnight and they were still quite helpful. Room seemed plenty big, and very workable. This is not a resort, so whether or not the pool was available was not my concern. Very easy to downtown from here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Inverness, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights Took my grand daughters to Austin to visit my daughter. Made my reservations through hotel.com I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
1. my grand daughters were looking forward to swimming in the pool. The pool was beyond filthy, it was disgusting and closed for our entire stay. Needs professionals to come in and clean it up.
2. Two buckets set out in the lobby to collect water and pieces of ceiling tiles that were dripping from the ceiling.
3.The room ac never adequately cooled the room. It was difficult sleeping in such a hot stuffy room.
4. Requested extra towels and wash cloths when we checked in at 4pm. They were not forthcoming. Found out later they could only be given when housekeeping was on duty. Daughter gave us extra towels and washcloths so we could all bathe that night and wrap our hair and still have towels and wash cloths for the morning.
5. Room and bathroom area is crowded and too small.
6. Water temp when showering was constantly changing from what it was set on to cold.
7. Had to request cleaning service for the room while we were there. It was not provided unless it was requested.
8. Non smoking room but smelled of smoke.

The breakfast was very good but the lay out was confusing and the eating area was small.
It was not a comfortable stay.
I have stayed at other Ramada's and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. This was one of my worst experiences with a hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dee56891
RACOwner, General Manager at Best Western Plus Austin Central, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Yes, the pool was closed. We did make arrangements for our guests to use the neighboring hotel's pool. The other comments are misunderstandings or gross exagerations. Extra towels are available at the Front Desk 24 hours, but we do not have bell staff to deliver them to the rooms. The rooms are standard hotel size - nothing fancy, but not economy lodging either.