“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #112 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Martinez, California
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here because it was near my office and had never stayed at a Hyatt place.

This location has been recently remodeled and has all that a modern business traveler needs, strong Wi-Fi, nice, big TV and breakfast in the morning.

There are many restaurants within walking distance and easy expressway access.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Manager_Arboretum, General Manager at Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Thank you so much for your business and for your kind words. We find that many first time Hyatt Place travelers are pleasantly surprised when they walk through the doors and we're so glad you decide to give us a try. I hope to see you again next time you are in Austin.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 October 2011

This was my second trip to Austin and having stayed at a Hyatt Place in Memphis, we decided to try one here in Austin. The Arboretum area is very well located, so it is an excellent base. The room was spacious, clean and well-appointed with everything you would expect from a Hyatt Place. We especially loved the media center that allowed us to hook up our laptop to the TV to enjoy a movie. On that note - the incredibly helpful staff provided us with both audio and video cables to hook up our laptop when my friend discovered that she had forgotten her cords. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this property to a friend. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was the morning we went down to breakfast I found both pitchers of skim milk to be bad (as did both of my friends - wasn't just me!). I returned them to the kitchen and they appeared to have been replaced, but I didn't check. Anyway, call it a four and a half star rating.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ample work/sitting area, so there should be much difference between rooms. Try to...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 October 2011

My stay was for a business trip and the first time I have been to a Hyatt Place. The concept seems like a good one, but over all left a bit to be desired. The hotel is based on a self service model that has the guests order services though touch screens. This allows minimal staffing, and gives the feeling of a slightly nicer motel, but not really a hotel.

On the plus side - spacious rooms, huge TV, large comfortable sectional sofa, good work desk and phone, bar area with mini fridge, comfortable bed, and friendly staff. The food area has dishes and utensils you can bring up to your room, which is nice.

Minuses - The closet is tiny and hard to access, which matters for stays of more then one night.
As others have noted, the shower floods the bathroom – this is due to the shower door having a two inch gap between the wall and door – water then gets out. Not a huge problem if you position the bath matt properly (it gets soaked), but annoying. The door in my second room did show water damage from this.
The reason I had a second room was that the first room they gave me was very clean, but the carpet was damp, as if they had just been scrubbed that day. I thought it would dry, so did not make a big deal out of it. Then I discovered the TV volume only would go down, but not up, so I called to report the problem. The front desk told me they knew the TV was broken and needed to be sent out for repair. After some prodding, they moved me to another room since I was going to be staying a few days – so at 9 pm I was moving my stuff one floor down. Which leads me to ask – why on earth would they have booked me in that room in the first place?
The second room had carpet stains but was otherwise clean. All was well until the light over the vanity began to blink – apparently attempting Morse code. At that point I let it go until the next day, and called it in for repair. Again they were very friendly, and they did send someone up to fix it.
The air conditioner is the wall model type you find in motels. It does the job, but there is no temperature regulation – it is basically on or off and fairly noisy (right next to the bed)
The breakfast is entirely cereal and breads unless you purchase food. There is tea available, but you have to buy coffee. There is a bar and some limited food service that can be ordered. I did not eat there, but the salads looked good.

I would stay here again, but only if other hotels in the area were not available.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kkhart
Thank you for your recent business. I sincerely apologize if your stay did not meet your expectations. While I cannot change the room layout, I would like to mention that we are looking at a shower redesign and that the t.v. in your room has been fixed. I can only guess that maybe it was the only clean room of the requested bedding type available when you checked in and I am glad that we were able to move you. Your other concerns with the second room have been forwarded to our Chief Engineer. I am sorry for any inconvenience which you might have experienced.

I am concerned that perhaps you didn't get to enjoy the complete Hyatt Place concept and I wanted to clear up what might be some miscommunication in hopes that you might give us a try again next time. As far as staffing goes, we actually have a 3 or 4-1 ratio compared to most hotels as we have Gallery Hosts rather than front desk clerks and there are always at least 3 scheduled. The Gallery Hosts can take your food and drink order in person (you can even call from your room so they can get it started) as well as assist you with any other services. We do have the touch screen food order and check in kiosks as many guests prefer that but it certainly isn't a substitute for the personal service that other guests still like. I'm very sorry that we were not more attentive to your desires in that area but I assure you that we always do have Gallery Hosts available to assist as needed.

I'm not sure why our breakfast wouldn't have been fully stocked at the time you came down but I apologize if it wasn't. Please contact me when you are in Austin again and we will treat you to a full hot breakfast. We always have free coffee available in the morning and it is conveniently set away from the buffett to make it easily accessible, especially for those guests you are only looking for a quick cup of coffee on their way out. In addition to breads and cereals, we also have hot oatmeal, fresh fruit, and a variety of juices and milk.
dallas
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Just stayed at the Hyatt Place for the ACL music festival. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good, and easily accessible. I used the pool during my stay. The first evening it had some leaves and needed to be cleaned, but my the next morning it was in top shape !
My room was comfy, but the funiture was a litle worn. It could possibly stand some updating. Overall, this a good place to stay, nice shopping area very close by, and a Dave and Busters adjacent to the property.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Staff is super friendly at this hotel and there are nice on-site amenities. Comfortable bed and soft linens. Free wi-fi that works great. Spacious room and bathroom. Works nicely for a short business stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business