“Not really what is pictured online. Find somewhere better.”

Habitat Suites Hotel
Ranked #57 of 202 Hotels in Austin
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Not really what is pictured online. Find somewhere better.”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I stayed here because it was a local hotel and the group I was with got us a large discount here, but it really is not all that it claims. It is also not really worth the price even at a discount. I could have stayed in a better hotel for a competitive price. Three main problems: not super safe, no night crew and "ok" clean. Outside the greenery is nice, but I think they have mistaken "natural" for "not trimmed." There are several nice planters that are overrun with tall weeds. I am not sure they have gardeners. The walkways are well trimmed near the lobby, but not around the sides and back of the buildings. The hotel is pretty clean inside, but the weather stripping on my door was pretty bad. I could have slipped a small notebook through the large gap I could see through the door. I did not have a problem with bugs, but it is cooler than in the summer. I think it is probably a problem in the summer. Overall, the inside was not amazing and it definitely needed some work in the bathroom. The wallpaper in there was molding and the shelf was not well attached. Someone just added extra screws to hold it up instead of rehanging it properly. The bed was super hard. I went to the manager about this the next morning and he said some people complain that there are some who say they are too soft. It wasn't the best response, but he was helpful in getting me another couple of comforters, so I could cushion the bed. I did not feel like searching for a new hotel at this stage, so the comforter was a good compromise. The breakfast was nice. I was not able to check out their "happy hour" type thing. The worst thing is that the location is pretty bad. It is in a sketchy part of town. It is next to a Sugar's strip club and across from an abandonded closed down mall. The property seemed safe overall, but not the best location. I definitely took all my personal things from my car into my hotel room. The worst part is that there is no way to really report noise disturbances. There was a large party of somekind upstairs and I had to just call the police directly. The lobby closes at sometime during the evening, so night time emergencies are sent to an automated system. I tried to "report" the emergency, but it just rang and rang and eventually sent me back to the automated system. I found out how to call the police online and did that. This, I think, is the worst part of the stay here. There was a large poster on my kitchen wall stating how there is a strict noise policy and they will evict people for disturbances. Well, that clearly cannot happen without staff to follow up. I definitely will not stay here again. I toughed it out this time, but I will find a better place next time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
hsgreen, General Manager at Habitat Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
We are very sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations and I invite you to contact our hotel management directly for a refund.

Thank you for providing this feedback--we take all of our reviews seriously and use it as a guideline to see where we can improve and what we are doing right. In regards to the noise disturbance, when calling our phone number at night the automated system gives the phone number of the hotel manager who is on duty and able to respond immediately to any issues that arise. I apologize that this was unclear; we are working to make this easier and more obvious. We will address these issues and and will endeavor to improve for our next guests.

Again, our apologies.

Vanessa
vanessa@habitatsuites.com
(512) 467-6000
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Rooms were very clean, however the pool, tv & guest laundry were not working during our stay. Therefore we a little disappointed since we were expecting to go swimming.

• Stayed October 2011
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Habitat Suites is in a strange location, but I think it adds to the appeal if you are interested in a get-away – it is in an out of the way (but not difficult to locate) place across the street from the defunct Highlands Mall. The grounds, including the pool area are well maintained and charming. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The breakfast is AMAZING! Biscuits, cream gravy, hash browns, eggs, vegan and turkey sausage, oatmeal, dry cereal, fruit, you name it, and it was probably there (very vegetarian friendly). Afternoon snacks are also served with complimentary beer and wine (bring a couple of dollars for a tip, the bartender was very nice).

The room was neat and clean and the wi-fi speedy. The problem I had was the smell of whatever cleaner they use. To me, it was completely overpowering and gave me a headache. My daughter said it didn’t bother her, that it smelled “fresh”. I thought it was awful. The T.V.’s are old and the remotes didn’t work, but we didn’t travel to Austin to watch T.V. so that wasn’t a big issue for us.

Having said all of that, I should say that I purchased a Groupon for a night’s stay so we only paid $70.00 for the room. I think the usual price for the room is $137.00-$179.00. That seems a little steep. Drury Inn has the same room for $114.00 of course, they aren't "green" or Vegetarian friendly. Just saying.....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank HTownKaty
Burleson, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Great place to stay. Very quite, clean, green and friendly place to stay. Beds are firmer than what I am used to but will stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Weatherford, Texas
Reviewed 8 September 2011

After driving 3 hours with our children to spend two days relaxing in the pool, we arrive to find out that the pool is BROKEN. Our tough-luck I guess? Guests the night before said it wasn't working, had complained but were told it was fine. By 10:30 am the next morning the "Pool Closed" sign was out. Great, what are we to do with three little boys with nothing to do, not our idea of a relaxing family vacation (the only one of the summer). We talked with the management and were told, Oh, so sorry. No, we wont' give you a voucher for another night if you want to come back. We started calling around to find another place to stay--not exactly the way we wanted to spend our morning (the manager knew nothing of customer service, just empty words). In frustration I went to the front desk girl and told her that it should be them that was calling around to find us another hotel within our price-range and similar amenities. To her credit, she found us the ALLANDALE HOTEL, just a few minutes away . Thy were awesome, let us come in early, hours before check-in, because of our bad experience with Habitat Suites. We loved the Allandale Hotel and plan to go back. They actually have knives and pans in their "gourmet kitchens" (Habitat does not even have a knife that will cut cheese). The staff was so friendly and accommodating that we will be going back there for our next little vacation.

As far as "green", a few obligatory solar panels on the roof does not make green. This is an old apartment complex that has been turned into a hotel, in the middle of no-where (bad neighborhood and closed down malls) and was VERY difficult to find (we arrived after going in circles for 20 minutes) to find the front desk trying to explain to another customer "how to get there". The food was not what I would call "green or local" in any manner, unless I can believe that the eggs were indeed local, as stated. Everything else could have been purchased at the local Walmart--not my idea of healthy food.

Like I said, the management of this hotel does not know the slightest thing about hospitality and how to care about people. The bottom line was the dollar. Whenever you have a bad experience at a restaurant, they "comp" your meal. After much pushing on my part to the manager about having to move my family from the TWO ROOMS we had rented, he conceded that he would give us a free night if we came back. However, he would not write it down or give us a coupon. He said, "I'm always here and I remember everything." Yea, right! I will drive my family three hours again and believe that you will give us one free night. I wasn't born yesterday!!!!!!

The people above us and at the pool with us the night before were not happy, either. I hope they get around to writing their review, as well. Go to the Allandale Hotel, they are WONDERFUL! They made our weekend a big success. Thanks Allandale Hotel!

Room Tip: One our our room had roaches!