“Finding the BLUES in Austin”

La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol
Ranked #161 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I spent five nights here while attending a certification training at the Convention Center, after canceling a reservation at the Hilton to save money. I'm very glad I did! I indicated I was there to study and asked for a secluded room, and it was quiet and I had no problems studying in the evening or sleeping. The free breakfast was great. I even enjoyed walking 11 - 12 blocks to the Convention Center each day and passing the ever -interesting 6th Street, where I detoured to buy souvenirs. Though I didn't care for valet being the only parking choice, the valets were very friendly and helpful, even getting me the local number for time and temperature. There were also great views of the Capitol from the fourth floor where I stayed.

I did have a couple of problems with the maid(s) who did not thoroughly clean a couple of times, completely overlooking the coffee pot area one day and not being thorough in the bathroom on another, and I don't think they ever changed my bed linens even though I left the card on my pillow indicating I wanted them changed daily. I also wished there was a business center in addition to the free Internet, for those of us who don't have laptops, so we could check our email etc.

But my main problem was with the card keys and locks. Every night I returned from training to find the key didn't unlock my room, and one morning the interior lock in my room also didn't work, making it difficult for me to get out. Each night after I returned to the front desk to inform them my key didn't work the clerk ran it through a machine so I could get in. On the third night a maintenance man was sent to make sure I got in my room ok, and he informed me the keys are deactivated each day at checkout time. Why was I not informed of this when I checked in for five nights? And why can't the card be activated for the whole length of the guest's stay? From then on I stopped at the desk each night so my card could be activated. The first night I did this I still could not get in the security doors, and another guest told me he had the same problem. There is simply no excuse for this when a five night stay is costing nearly $600. If this problem could be solved I'd gladly stay there again should the occasion arise. Thank you for an otherwise enjoyable and memorable stay!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed 13 January 2012

For three days there were no knives at breakfast. Cutting waffles with forks splatter syrup onto computers on the table. The organizational layout for the waffle area was clustered in the corner causing connection and long lines for the 2 waffle irons. Better layout as in other La Quinta would greatly improve the breakfast experience.
No regular coffee available for the coffeemakers in the rooms. The microwave popcorn is cooked in the back office microwave which is too small burning half the popcorn and kernels as the other half. The staff is very helpful. Mandatory valet parking runs up the bill. The location is convenient.

Room Tip: Noisy traffic. No avoiding it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Marcia406
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The location is good if you want to be downtown. The hotel is dated. My heater did not work, kept blowing cold air, which was a problem. The worst part is that they force you to book valet parking for $12 a night. I didn't care to have to hassle with a valet everytime I wanted to go in and out of the hotel. I suppose if you want a cheaper hotel, and are just going to party downtown, this is not a problem, and you might enjoy yourself.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
LQSALES, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience with our hotel. We welcome guest feedback to help us improve, and it is always disappointing to learn we have fallen below your expectations ( and our high standards).

Limited parking space is an unfortunate fact of life in downtown Austin, and like most hotels here, our valet service is mandatory if you choose to park on-site. We try to give the very best service at the very best price, offering unlimited "in-and-out" access to your vehicle for one flat fee.

We strive to ensure our guests are satisfied, and I assure you your comments are taken to heart and acted upon, in hopes that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations if you are back in the Austin area.

Peggy Goddard