“Worst of all 13 hotels we stayed in on Route 66”
Review of Big Texan Motel

Big Texan Motel
Ranked #29 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 18 July 2017

This was now our 5th state after Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma. Arriving in Texas at Amarillo was certainly an experience. It was still early June and the SW was experiencing an unusual heatwave.

After completing our laundry in the laundromat and getting ready for dinner in our air conditioned room, we stepped out at 8pm to cross the car park to the Big Texan for dinner and it was 125F. It was almost like walking out into a blast furnace.

On arrival at the Big Texan Motel the receptionist was on the phone and didn't hang up or apologise, just produced a key for our room after I handed in my hotel booking voucher. There was no explanation that we would perhaps have to book dinner as it was busy or nothing.

Having read the previous reviews I have to tend to agree, room cleanliness was not the best, the novelty saloon swing doors soon became an annoyance, our door lock was not the best and could have done with maintenance and the décor was very, very rough. I am not sure if this was by design to add to the affect, but it was really poorly done.

Without wishing to come across as a Killjoy, the theme is amusing to a point, but it could be done a whole lot classier. To be fair there was a fridge in our room and a pool, shaped like the state of Texas. I have to say though this was the only room on our trip that did not offer an iron and ironing board.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Martin G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Big Texan Motel

Reviewed 22 June 2017

We arrived here after travelling through flash floods. We opened the door and my husband said it was so bad it was good!
I was not in agreement. The rough wood walls make it feel like you are sleeping in a garden shed.
The saloon doors that swing and bang every time you go through to the clothing space, sink and bathroom are a novelty for 30 seconds. The novelty wears off when they constantly bang throughout the night as the clientele, in the adjoining rooms use their bathroom!
The bedside lamp on my side of the bed did not work. I was already unhappy so my husband investigated. The light did not work as the wire did not reach the electric socket! My husband moved the bed 3 feet and the light could then be plugged in. Surely we were not the first people to stay who found the light did not work?
At 11pm there were still children running around screaming and shouting.
I was up early and we were on the road before 7.30am!
If you have a choice I advise you choose somewhere else.

Room Tip: Doubt any room is good
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally S
Reviewed 16 June 2017

Just stayed at the Big Texan Motel in June. I pulled the fitted sheet back to reveal a nasty, soiled mattress pad cover. When they changed the sheets, there was no way they could have missed this. They chose to leave it on the bed and just put a clean sheet over it. Yuck. Shame on them! Thankfully we had 2 queen size beds. The other bed was cleaner looking.

The cleaning crew had left an envelope on the table so you could tip them. Here is my tip. Make sure your guests have clean bedding!

Also, the dead bolt on the door did not work. So I was nervous about that and did not feel totally safe and secure. They need to make sure that all deadbolts are in good working order. So I would say that room maintenance could be better.

Room Tip: Check cleanliness of bedding and check your deadbolt.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Pawhuska
Reviewed 11 June 2017

Nothing refined about the rooms here. We are talking rough cut lumber, wooden bed frames and wrought iron light fixtures. The room just barely serves the purpose but if you are looking for a comfortable bed save your money and go somewhere else. The matresses are shot. Your wake up call is around 7:00am with the delivery trucks pulling in to supply the Big Texan Restaurant which is directly across the driveway. Deisel trucks are there early with their air brakes, emergency brakes, and metal ramps slamming on the black top. Wifi gets weaker the further away your room is from the office. Breakfast at the Big Texan is so so and a bit pricey. On the positive side the motel is 300 feet away from the Big Texan restaurant which is an interesting place for dinner.

Room Tip: If you need wifi you will need to book a room close to the office
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank moobar
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Nice place right next to their restaurant. Only complaint was there was no fridge in the room. How can you keep your beer cold? Clean rooms, great shower. Right next to the highway, so easy on and off. Reasonable rates

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple