“Worth the drive”
Review of Mariscal Mine

Mariscal Mine
Ranked #4 of 22 things to do in Alpine
Reviewed 23 January 2016

Take River Road East to the mine. Explore the remains of the stone houses before hiking up to the mine. Once you are up top, great view of the Mariscal Nountains.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 July 2015

We stopped by on our trip to Big Bend and learned a lot of interesting facts about mining in the southwest. Well laid out and worth a visit.

Reviewed 4 May 2015

Riding a mountain bike across the River Road, I camped nearby at the Fresno primitive camping spot and spent the afternoon, alone, exploring the mine area. Incredibly interesting to imagine people living out here mining cinnabar and smelting it into mercury. Originally ore was taken by mule train to Terlingua, TX. Later a furnace was built to melt out the quicksilver from the ore. A sign warns not to touch bricks as they contain mercury. Shafts are gridded over and one contains a bat colony. A trail leads to the top of the ridge where terrific views are. Flowers were in bloom everywhere.

2  Thank Merrill C
Reviewed 20 March 2015

We rented a "high clearance" vehicle specifically to drive the road that brought us here. Did not need a 4x4 but high clearance a must. I would not come here anytime after recent rains. What an amazing place to visit. It was hot, dry, and QUIET! I can only imagine families living in a place this remote from anywhere. I wish there were some sort of a formal kiosk sheltered from the elements with history about this place; possibly a map to let us know exactly what we were looking at. But then maybe that would remove the ambiance. DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT ADEQUATE WATER!

4  Thank Mad_Mervyn
Reviewed 19 March 2015

Take a high clearance vehicle down the River Road for the easiest access. Walking among these ruins raised many questions in my engineering mind (I LOVE going to old buildings and trying to figure out what went where, how it worked, and who used it), and thankfully I later found a short book at a ranger station called "Around Terlingua" which explained the mining history and process clearly The views are spectacular as I imagined myself sitting in, I guess, an office with a large window. Keep your pre-schoolers on a leash so you can enjoy the most of the place.

2  Thank lfredregill

Been to Mariscal Mine? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK