“Will stay here again!”

Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Austin, TX
“Will stay here again!”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We travel for my daughters golf tournaments all over the country and like to stay at HIEX because of the white bed linens. This HIEX was the best we've stayed in this summer(this was the 8th one we've stayed in since summer started).

The staff was top notch. Cassandra greeted us on arrival, she was friendly with valuable info about the area. Joe was there for the remainder of our stay not only was he most helpful at every turn, he was generally interested in my daughters tournament and would cheer her on. The gym is the best I've seen in any of the HIEX. Breakfast similar to any HIEX. Housekeeping was very accommodating with our requests and were all really friendly and ready to help and with a smile too. If ever I need to go to Abilene I will stay here.

One con is that it may be a little difficult to find at 1st but after you get there you can easily figure out how to get around.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sonora, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I want to thank the excellent staff for their willingness to go “above and beyond the call of duty” to help us have a wonderful experience at this hotel. Your staff were great and we will be staying with you again!

Room Tip: This hotel is behind the Clarion Hotel and is a little hard to find.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MLuttrell123
Sherwood, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night while passing through town and was pleasantly surprised. Much better than typical three star hotel. Clean room, excellent but not fancy breakfast buffet, very friendly and helpful staff. Would recommend this to friends and family any time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Indiana
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I got up yesterday morning and opened the room door to get my paper. No paper. I go to the front desk and tell them and was told they didn't know why I didn't get it and they were out of papers. She checked to be sure the computer showed me as a Priority Club Platinum member (the highest level) and one place did but the screen for the papers didn't. I assumed she would fix the problem. I shouldn't have.

I get up today, open the door for my paper, and again no paper. I go to the front desk and the clerk told me only priority club members get them and there wasn't enough papers for even them. There were 30 guests and 10 papers, 5 or 6 of which I noticed were by the breakfast area. She said when there aren't enough papers for all of the Priority Club members the higher-tiers of the club get them. I told her I was Platinum (the highest tier) and she looked at her computer and again it didn't show me as even being a member. I was already mad about not getting an upgraded room when I checked in and had her check that screen again also. She said that screen did show me as a Platinum member but the paper delivery screen still did not show me as even being a member. So much for the previous-mornings' clerk fixing the problem.

I then asked her if the problem would be fixed the next time I stayed here in a couple months and she said Hopefully it would. That usually means the person is hopeful someone else will fix the problem and she most likely wouldn't be the one checking me in next time.

There won't be a next time. There are many other nice places to stay in the area and I will be at one of them.

This may sound picky but it's not the fact I didn't get a paper. It's the fact I had to get in my car and drive to a gas station and buy one, but mainly because the clerk did not even try to fix the problem.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mike3412
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Abilene was far from perfect. This hotel has alot to improve on!! Lets start with the front desk staff. As I walked into the building, the front desk staff was sitting down on their butts expecting me to approach them for check in. As a hotel employee myself, I would never allow this to happen!! It looks lazy and tacky. They should be standing and greeting each guest as they enter. The front desk staff also needs to check guests ID when someone looses a room key. I unfortunately misplaced my room key and it was incredibly easy to have it replaced. Thank god it wasnt a theif who could of stolen my ipad and labtop that was in the room. Please learn to check identification!! Next, the pull out sofa couch needs to be prepared with sheets already on it. It was late at night and the last thing I wanted to do was "make" my bed. They should fix this problem by having the bed premade and the pillows in a drawer. The bed should be ready for me to pull-out and fall asleep on. In the room, I needed to call the front desk for a simple question, but its as if, they dont want phone calls. there is no # on the room phone to dial directly to the front desk. I eventually guessed the number 0 and it rang the desk. Also the general manager needs to completely put a stop to his employees SMOKING by the front door!!! I didnt like walking thru a cloud of smoke before entering the building!!!! If this happened at my hotel, those staff members would be instantly terminated!!!!!!

It would also be nice to be greeted by all staff members too!! Like I mentioned, this hotel is far from perfect. Next time Im coming into Abilene, I will choose another hotel because its the little things that add up and make a difference.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family