“It is what It is”

Charlotte, North Carolina
“It is what It is”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

LOBBY well lit, clean
FRONT DESK HELP: nice, cordial,fast booking, he didnt know if our room had a pull out couch or not, but did offer to bring us a roll out if we needed it, they beat the price of the Quality Inn we used last week.
CHECK-IN: the young lady was very nice and very helpful. turns out our 2 rooms didnt have "A" couch, she brought us a roll out.......but they only had one. It was late so we got some extra cushions and blankets and drew staws to sleep on the floor. To their defence they did offered us another room.
ROOM: it smelled like a fashion show, 'Jordan Sparks' perfume as a matter of fact. (I saw it when we were picking up the roll-a-way bed) Now if they were hidding some other smell it worked, and it wasnt real strong, nobody complained.
the front door took a bit to shut, showers are strong, beds are hardish, TV's are old but good picture, walls were dirty in spots, room had fresh paint, it looked good. The furniture is clean and looks like a hodge podge from other hotels.
We were in rooms 104-103 which are on the bottom front of the hotel, it seems these are the best spots to be.
FYI, there is a Hospital just around the corner and down the road, I'm a bit of a light sleeper so I was woke up 3 times during the night with ambulance sirens.
PARKING/SITE: it looks well lit, a burger king on one side and a jiffy lube on the other, I recommend staying on the front side bottom. I drove around back and it seemed dark and there were cars parked there that seemed to have been there a while.
INDOOR POOL: It was closed, too bad, I had my trunks with me this time
LOUNGE AREA; .50 to play pool, 2 dart boards (darts were on their last leg), juke box (lots of country music and old rock n roll), beer was cold, bartender was great.
While at the lounge the man that booked our rooms walked in and remember our names
BREAKFAST: Go to burger King or 1/2 a block up is a Dunkin Donuts, not worth the time.
AROUND TOWN: Walmart plaza just accross the street and a BP with the cheapest gas around $2.95

Room Tip: We were in rooms 104-103 which are on the bottom front of the hotel, it seems these are the best spo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This hotel could be decent, but it is very run down and the staff is apathetic. We've stayed 3 times in order to visit our college student down the road and every room has issues, such as plumbing (running, ill flushing toilets) and walls badly in need of painting, garbage cans never being emptied and trash not picked up around the hotel. The bathroom areas are pretty gross-the tiles are cracked and grout is disgusting and the door had dirty areas. Last time there was some sort of foreign goo on the shower wall. I doubt the maid does much cleaning in there. The neighbors were extremely loud at 2 am last visit. Talking and banging doors and coming and going. That seems to be the case every visit we've had there-all kinds of shouting, banging doors and people yacking at all hours of the night. One trip, an older guy asked me if I had a "switch blade" because he was trying to open up a pay as you go cell phone. Seriously? I told him I usually only carry my .45 while traveling. He lingered too long by my door. There are a lot of sketchy people who rent there, let me tell ya. We had NO MAID SERVICE during our last visit. They just never came. Not that it mattered-the maids don't do a good job cleaning. The first time I stayed, there was construction dust all over the room and the carpet had construction debris as well. The food at the Continental breakfast is scary. I would not advise anyone to eat it. The sausage gravy sits all morning and then they just refrigerate it and pull it out the next day. I saw them do it. The crock pot never gets cleaned and the old gravy just congeals at the bottom/they add new stuff to it. The danishes and bagels are stale as can be. Think "hockey puck" and the coffee is terrible. The staff just doesn't seem to care and they get annoyed if you ask for anything. Someone ought to buy this property, tear the hotel down and start over. The University needs a good hotel close by and there are none.

Room Tip: outside rooms are more quiet
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank couplefrommd856

Travellers are raving about these Aiken hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Avoid this hotel at all costs! We stayed here from 7/1/2011-7/4/2011 for a family vacation and had the worst experience. My mother-in-law booked our hotel rooms in May 2011 and specifically requested rooms 102-105. She was told yes and upon arrival told that the rooms were taken. Our stay was especially horrible because I am 6 months pregnant, not that it mattered to the front desk staff. The rooms are dingy, horrible, filthy, unsanitary, not fit for human sleep, and need to be rid of the roach infestation that they have. At 3am, our toilet over flooded to the point that it leaked from the bathroom into our bedroom area. The gentleman at the front desk said that he'll send a maintenance man in the morning and didn't seem to understand the sense of urgency in this customer service matter. After calling the front desk again, he came to our room (#129) and gave us a "temporary" room (#116). Upon entering the room and placing our suitcases down, we saw a roach crawling toward the bathroom! I was done. I didn't sleep for the rest of the night. When my husband requested a refund for our first night due to the various issues, the owner only offer a $15 discount stating that "he was in this business to make money." I have so many more photos of this God-awful hotel...the dead bird that lay under the steps near our room...the beer bottles and trash left in front of our room for days...the stained pillow cases...the broke down bed frames. It is amazing that Choice Hotels International has not revoked their independent franchise yet. While the rooms are cheap ($59/nite), please do not support this hotel. You may bring roaches home with you in your luggage!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DMSnow
Knoxville
Reviewed 17 May 2010

The reservation was handled well....Desk clerk somewhat friendly...was a bit slow in completing check in but was having some technical difficulties....room was in the rear of the motel..fairly well lit but the "bad spot" was an unsightly pile of junk in the back of the parking lot....room was above expectations....bathroom door well worn near the bottom...fast food nearby..Ice and drink machines worked well...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank boonehuff
wellford, sc
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I was in town for 1-2 days for my birthday the weekend of Mar18. I had stayed at the Knights inn up the street definately where I had a horrible expierence on the night of my birthday Mar18. We woke up to a terrible asthma attack due to un cleanliness and a bad filter in the ac. Well I almost cut my trip short but I decided to check out the ECONO LODGE down the street that was closer to shops, walmart and restaurants. It also had an indoor pool that was heated. Course anyone with young children that is an awesome ammenity for you to have when the weather isnt quite ready for an outdoor pool. So my kids were game. I called the motel and talked to someone who was friendly and very nice. He even gave me a discount on the rate which was only a few dollars more then the knights inn. When i got there at 11:10 am he allowed me to check in to a room upstairs in the back where it was much quieter even allowed me to look at first... Upon first arrival checking out the room it was extremely clean very roomy, the beds were not like rocks and all the channels on the tv were clear. There was a nice recliner and a desk as well. The manager even checked to see if I was happy with the room. WE WERE!... There was only one downfall to the evening which to me was not thier fault that was some teens were being a little out of control but upon notifying the manager of thier outbursts in the pool area causing there to be no way for my daughter @ 6yrs old to be in the shallow end..The manager made the children stop and even get out due to interuppting others enjoyment.

I can't tell you how impressed I was with all of thier attentiveness even offering to help my son with our bags. We enjoyed a wonderful morning breakfast of danishes, biscuits and gravy, waffles, they had juices, hot and cold cereal. muffins and bagels. A very enjoyable breakfast even arriving at the tail end of breakfast hours there was still enough to choose from.

ALL in all I WOULD DEFINATELY STAY HERE AGAIN. IT IS MY CHOICE FOR MY NEXT TRIP TO AIKEN. SC.....

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family