“New Name, Nothing Special”
Review of Gillane's Tavern - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lancaster Avenue
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Philadelphia, and its suburbs, has a competitive restaurant scene. Good food at reasonable prices is fairly easy to find. There is nothing particularly wrong with 43 Cricket (the new name for Gillane's Tavern) and in some areas of the country it would probably be considered pretty good. I think they need to up the quality of their food, however, to make it in this competitive market. I had a cheese steak and french fries, which was OK but not exceptional. My dining companion said the same thing about his burger and fries. I had a piece of cheesecake, and it was OK but I think it came from a commercial bakery. One might expect something more special for 5.95. In short, if you're in Ardmore and need to eat, it's OK. But you can do better.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Initial visit to 43 Cricket, only to learn it's previous owner called it Gillane's Tavern. This is a new refurbished place with new operators, a clean feel, adequate, but not extensive menu, and a comfortable family feel. With 2 separate main rooms, 43 Cricket offers a community bar, and a family dining room.

The evening dinner food was prepared and delivered well, but not exceptional. The price is within reason and not excessive for the quality delivered.

We will return and perhaps try the friendly neighborhood bar scene.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Our visit to the former Gillane's Tavern was a mixed bag. The main dining room has been remodeled (we didn't go down to the bar area) and is now all booths. The wedge of lettuce was very large and came as ordered with tomatoes and onions. A shepards pie was declared "ok", and the pie of the day with sausage was said to be tasty. Neither of the portions were very big. My friend declared her roasted chicken inedible and it looked very unappetizing...grayish brown in color. I ordered fish and chips and asked for the "chips" very crispy. They came out limp and the broccoli was hard and cold. I did send back the fries and they were better the second time around. The manager came over,asked how everything was,offered to take the chicken dish off the bill. He also wanted to replace my broccoli, but my that time, I was done. He certainly tried to make things right. The service was poor. Very few people in the dining room and our server was very slow and inattentive. I'd hate to be there when it's busy!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I visited recently, and discovered that there are new owners. The clowns are gone. The décor is neutral. We enjoyed very good sandwiches with good fries and a nice beer selection (craft beers, etc.) It has a slight diner feeling to the restaurant part of it (not really a bad thing, just not really great atmosphere for a hip diner out. Many of the diners were older , but we're glad that the décor is neutral and to have another place in Ardmore to get a casual meal out with a good beer selection.

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

The bar staff was courteous and prompt. The food was great. A short walk from the Ardmore train station.