“Pretty good Hampton - Good breakfast, friendly staff - beware of gps directions!”

Hampton Inn Altoona
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Phila Area
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I was here for a 2 day business trip. The first thing I have to say is: Do NOT USE TomTom GPS directions!!!!!! I ended up on the side of some mountain in some guys driveway and this was with a TomTom that just had a map update a few weeks ago. Apparently this happens all the time. The hotel's staff said they have been trying to get it corrected for some time, without much luck. I submitted it to TomTom as a Map Share update, so hopefully it gets corrected.

Now about the Hotel: It is very conviently located, right off the main highway, across the street from the mall. It is also in between a Champs Sports Bar and a Cracker Barrel, so you can walk to get something to eat is you need to. The staff was very friendly. My room and the common area all were very, very clean. They obviously pay attention to this. The room was a nice...yes the carpet was thin in one spot, but no big deal. It did have a flat screen and contrary to other reviews, I would not consider it outdated. They also had a better channel selection than some of the hotels I have visited recently (nice for me...I could watch my favorite FX show!)

The breakfast was great. Lots of perfectly cooked eggs, hash browns etc. A lot the energy company workers stay here and they obviously need to fuel up on breakfast before heading out. The hotel appears to be supplying a big breakfast load to accomidate this.

Overall, I would say it was an excellent stay and I would return when in the area. (I just won't trust my gps :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MasterTravelMan
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel while you were in the Atloona area. Using a GPS can be challenging in a rural area like Altoona, but I am glad to hear that you were able to get to the hotel with minimal issues. We are proud of being able to offer some of the largest television channel selections in the Altoona market. I am very excited to hear that you enjoyed our large breakfast as we have added some options in the past couple of months that make it that much more hearty and filling.

Thanks again for staying and I hope you stay with us again!

Jeffrey Cipriani
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here over Thanksging weekend while visiting family. Great location for Black Friday shopping, just across the street from the regional mall with Macy's. Very friendly, helpful staff but rooms weren't cleaned after noon on Saturday. Desk manager helped out delivering fresh towels and coffee supplies so no big deal. Hotel is starting to really show it's age-worn wood, thin carpet, some unusual smells. Fitness room has 3 old machines, no weights or universals. Altoona is okay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us. I apologize for the Housekeeping team not cleaning your room on Saturday and I have already spoken to them about this. We are going to be renovating the hotel very soon, including guest room carpet and some case good replacement. The lobby area will also be renovated to the Hampton Inn "Perfect Mix" lobby during 2012 which is a very exciting development.

Again thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to let us know how we are doing!

J Cipriani
Kennebunks, Maine
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We almost always stay at Hampton Inn on roadtrips since they are consistently clean, comfortable and affordable. This particular hotel was clean. However, the beds were smaller than usual and the room seemed somewhat outdated. At $125/night for the AAA rate in rural PA we felt this hotel was not a good value.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your travel needs. I apologize if you felt the room rate was too expensive. We will be undergoing replacement of case goods in the guest rooms and also carpet as well as a full remodel of our lobby to the Hampton Inn "Perfect Mix" lobby in 2012. We look forward to you returning and staying with us to enjoy these upgrades.

J Cipriani
Fonthill
Reviewed 19 November 2011

A clean, enticing place to put down one's head after a five hour drive in the dark on challenging Pennslyvania side roads

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your kind comments concerning our hotel. We pride ourselves on having clean and comfortable accomodations for all or our guests. Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning our hotel and to let us know how we are doing.

Regards,

J. Cipriani
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Had to change my hotel location from Indiana (PA) due to unanticipated date change for move-in day at IUP, then had to add an extra day prior to arrival with Hurricane Irene forcing an evacuation from home. The staff was extremely helpful with processing the additional day, and were very friendly throughout the stay. The hotel lobby is fresh, but the hotel rooms were slightly dated. The linens, duvet and towels were excellent "Hampton-quality" items. Overall a nice stay. Depending on your taste, the hotel shares a parking lot with a Cracker Barrel and a Sports Bar (empty beer bottles left on my car trunk overnight - thanks for that). That said, I would recommend for location, overall cleanliness and price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank hoofhearted02
cipjeff, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
I am glad to hear that we could provide you with clean and comfortable lodging and am happy that you chose our hotel. I apologize for the beer bottle situation and will look into how that might have happened.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Regards,