“Looks Old, Feels Old, It's Old” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Allentown/Dorney

Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Allentown/Dorney
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
New Jersey
“Looks Old, Feels Old, It's Old”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Checked in last night and was NOT impressed with what I saw in room 214. The room was very dingy and felt dirty. My son wasn't impressed at all, but he plopped himself on his bed to check out the wi-fi. I went to use the bathroom and was NOT impressed with what I saw there. There was black gunk underneath the rim and the toilet seat was covered with dry urine. I made a beeline back downstairs and told the girl that I wanted to switch rooms and explained why.

This is the kicker. She asked me if we had used anything in the room, and I said no, just that my son had plopped himself on the bed. She asked me if I could straighten up the covers!!!!!! What!!!! Here I am explaining to her that this room is unacceptable and she wants us to straighten up the covers for the next guest?

I got new keys to room 204, and went to check the room out. This room is no better than the last one. The bath tub was not washed at all, the toilet had dirt underneath, the toilet paper spindle holder fell, the AC unit is missing the grid, part of the floor baseboard is coming off the wall. The floor lamp was plugged in but was placed at the other side of the room, thus having the cord going across the room where someone could easily trip over it. The fridge needs to be defrosted and the microwave needs to be cleaned. If you notice I'm using present tense because we're still in the room, but I'm not happy here. The coffee maker is dirty, and I don't mean just a speck here and a speck there. I don't think anyone in their right mind would use it to make coffee. That belongs in the garbage. The headboards are dusty, the lampshades are dusty, there's debris behind the nightstand, and the list goes on.

I used to be a housekeeping supervisor at one of the casinos in Atlantic City and I know what a clean hotel room looks like and I say, 'shame on you' supervisor for not inspecting these rooms that are punched in as Clean and Vacant when in fact they are not...at least not to my standards. Housekeepers will cut corners left and right, I know because I used to be one before I actually became a supervisor, but if the supervisor is not doing his or her job, the housekeeper will slack as well and that's when everything goes downhill.

Breakfast this morning was unspectacular, but what can I expect? It's a continental breakfast. Frozen french toast, cold bagels, small corn muffins, two types of cold cereal, coffee and orange and apple juice, although the apple juice dispenser was dispensing water.

The employees are quite friendly and when I ended up at front desk asking where the ice machine was (I couldn't find any signs directing me in the right direction), the young man behind the counter offered to get the ice for me. There's only one ice machine and it's on the first floor. The swimming pool looked okay, but no one was using it.

We're staying here for a youth winter camp which started yesterday and ends this evening, but I chose to stay one more night as we have a long drive and I don't want to drive back home tonight. I seriously doubt I will stay here again. I don't care about the dinginess, but cleanliness and next to holiness, and the two rooms I saw, 204 and 214 are not clean.

I have to say, however, the the beds and pillows are quite comfortable and the free internet is speedy.

Room Tip: Room 214 faces a wall.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nereida
FourStar1, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Allentown/Dorney, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Unfortunately, this review is not accurate. This writer must have posted comments about the wrong hotel. Apologies to TripAdvisor Fans.

Howard Johnson is rated very high by TripAdvisor Fans. Most fans tend to "LIKE" our hotel which features newly upgraded clean crisp rooms, new beds, Nice Indoor Pool and Jacuzzi, and many restaurants at our doorstep.

Book at hojo.com

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Allentown PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

This hotel advertises that they are refurburished,but not completely. WE rented a room in October 2011 and the second bed was without a box spring! The smell horrible and the bath room questionable. We rented in a snow storm, so as soon as it cleared we went back home with no electric rather than stay here. Eventually ended up across town!

So sorry to report my own hometown has skanky hotels, and don't even think about the pool or hot tub! If you do bring anti bacterial everything.
M.S.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MESAllentownPA
Arnprior, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We used the walk in rate of $49 and it resulted in $69 check in. Wall socket short circuited had to jiggle it to get it on. Warn out rugs.. Good point indoor swimming pool.. Perkins Restaurant next door. Good food. Front desk lady serviced us but not enthusiastically. It was just a job for her..

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Lodz, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night. It's located very close to the Dorney Park, so might be a good place to stay after spending the whole day at the Park. The room was quite spacious with a comfortable bed and a hot tub in the bathroom. Staff friendly and helpful, I didn't experience any problems. I would recommend it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Yardley, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We were traveling thru the area and need a place. I used points so the night was free. Very basic accommodations, wife was not really happy with the place (carpets, room atmosphere). Bed was pretty bad and the room small but 3/5 due to price point and expectations. The pool looked nice we did not use any of the facilities or eat breakfast which was free and the area was crowded. The hotel appeared to be near capacity. Do not expect much and you will not be disappointed. I imagine most people book this hotel for price as there are many other hotels in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Next to a Perkins but we had a fine dinner at Pistachios
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple