New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Adamstown Inns & Cottages

Adamstown Inns & Cottages
Ranked #1 of 3 Adamstown B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Quaint cottage in a good location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed in the Dragonfly Cottage. Very comfortable beds and really enjoyed the hot tub. The fireplace was a nice touch but the living room furniture is uncomfortable.

A little disappointed in the breakfast, 4 boxes of dried cereal, instant oatmeal and store bought muffins.
The Inn is in a good location, centrally located to Reading, Lancaster, Intercourse and Harrisburg.

Be sure to visit the gift shop at the main Inn for unique items.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AdamstownInns, Owner at Adamstown Inns & Cottages, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Thank you for choosing one of our Vacation Homes for your visit in Lancaster County. We love knowing that guest had a fabulous time. We were sorry to hear about the misunderstanding about breakfast. Staying in one of our vacation homes is different than our Bed and Breakfast accommodations. All of our Vacation Rentals have fully equipped kitchens and breakfast in not included in our vacation rental pricing. As a courtesy for guests which arrive late and are unable to visit the grocery store, we stock cereal for the children and muffins from a local bakery, milk, teas and coffee.

As stated in our rental contract, a full breakfast, delivered each morning to the vacation home is available for an additional cost if arrangements are made in advance.

Fortunately, we do have the space in the Dragonfly Cottage to accommodate 6 guests with the use of a sleep sofa. Unfortunately, sofa beds are not the most comfortable. We have recently purchased an air mattress to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

We look forward to creating a great vacation experience in Lancaster County, PA.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Tucked away in a very small town with pretty much nothing to do except look for antiques, this was such a nice surprise!! I would go back to Adamstown again in a heartbeat, for no other reason than to stay in this quaint and comfortable Inn. The innkeeper was friendly and pleasant but non-intrusive. Our room was filled with antiques, but not in an "old dusty" way as I might have feared. We had the room on the first floor, which had an incredible tub and shower (as do all the rooms, from what I recall.) The breakfast was superb and quite more than was expected! While we didn't spend any time on the beautiful front porch (because we didn't want to leave our room!) but it was certainly very inviting. Hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: Most rooms appear to have fantastic jetted tubs, showers, and fireplaces. I don't think you can...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Marlboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

My husband & I have been coming here in April & November 4 years now. Best place ever.
Wanda, Tom and Kristen are the best hosts. They make us feel at home and so welcomed. The best place ever!!! Of course, the antique shopping is a plus and see you all in November. Stephane and Arthur Leonetti

Room Tip: Rooms are quaint and so beautiful!!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Stanhope, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Made a last minute trip out to Lancaster County on Labor Day weekend. Everything was great. Easy to find location on a quiet street, nice off-street parking... very nice atmosphere... warm greeting by Kristen.. smooth check in.. nicely decorated room with private porch. The common areas looked great. We had a nice dinner at Stoudt's Brewery up the street and great breakfast the next morning. Check out with the bonus travel box of goodies was a nice touch I've never had a previous B&B's before... This one is a def.. return to in the future. :-)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Traverse City, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We booked two nights at the Amethyst Inn for our honeymoon. We'd picked the place because of it's close proximity to the antique stores nearby (which were great!), and the fact that it was something out of the ordinary as compared to a regular hotel.
The property is very nice, and the inn itself had a lot of charm. Furnishings were very nice, and the jacccuzzi was wonderful. My only complaint was that the shower was over the jaccuzzi and when you wanted to use just the shower, it wasn't a very powerful shower. It took forever to get my shampoo and conditioner out of my hair.
The innkeepers seemed nice, and a bit aloof. We were asked at the time of reservation, AND by the man who checked us in if we had any dietary restrictions. I am lactose intolerant, so we made sure to mention both times that I couldn't have any milk or cheese (unless it was a baked good like a muffin or cookie, I can handle that). Anyway, the first breakfast we were served a "breakfast casserole", which had cheese in it. I had bread and fruit, and that was fine. I must admit, I'm a pretty shy person, so I didn't want to make a big issue out of it and make the cook feel bad, so I just let it go. It was odd, however, that they didn't ask why I didn't eat my breakfast. I was hoping for something different the next day, but they served us quiches. My husband spoke up and said something to the lady about my dietary restriction and it seemed to be the first they heard of it, even though it had been mentioned at least twice. I don't like to make a big deal out of it, but if you're more outgoing than me, and you have special diet needs, be sure to please remind them more than twice of what you need.

Otherwise, everything else was nice. We also had mentioned we were on our honeymoon, and the website said you'd get a bottle of something and a CD, and we didn't get that, but it's ok because we really don't drink. They leave tiny gifts on your bed each day and the first day was a small bag of jelly beans and the second was tea and a scented tea cozy.

I'm really not sure if I'd come back to this particular B&B again, but it did teach me a lesson in realizing not to be afraid of saying what I need.

We stayed in the Topaz room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AdamstownInns, Owner at Adamstown Inns & Cottages, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Thank you for choosing the Amethyst Inn for your honeymoon. Yes, we agree the antique shopping is awesome. There are so many eclectic shops to explore.

As part of our ongoing concern for the environment and the green conservation movement, we utilized water saving shower heads. We were unaware that this was an issue for our guests and have since replaced the shower heads in several guest rooms with shower heads that can be adjusted for different water flows. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

We are also sorry we misunderstood your diet restrictions. We understood that as long as the item was baked it was acceptable; we did not realize that the “baked” only related to muffins and breads.

We have two new assistant innkeepers which unfortunately missed the notation concerning your honeymoon status. We have mailed you a gift certificate for your inconvenience in the hopes you visit with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adamstown
3.9 km away
2.4 km away
Penn Amish Motel
Penn Amish Motel
#2 of 7 in Denver

Been to Adamstown Inns & Cottages? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK