See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 August 2016

This was a wonderful stay! The location was perfect, we could walk everywhere easily. The room was pretty and comfortable. Darrell and Pam served delicious brunches at 9:30, so I didn't have to worry about getting up early on vacation. I can't say enough about it - we had an incredible time!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janon R
Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

Darrell is a wonderful host.

This is probably the best location in Ashland- you can literally walk out the front door to fabulous restaurants and of course- the live theatre!

Very comfortable bed,pillows and linens.

Will be back again and again!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2015 via mobile

Three of us stayed at the Inn for theater-going in Ashland and found ourselves in an immaculate, warm home with private bath in our rooms and charming inn owners to greet us in the morning. The Oregon Shakespeare Festival was close enough to walk to and avoid contending with parking and the writer-innkeepers were fascinating-mystery writer Darrell James was one our hosts. A very special experience in a very special place.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2015

Darrell and Pam of Nightingales Inn saved our bacon when the owner of the very highly rated B&B that we had reserved months in advance decided to downsize her operation and abruptly cancelled our reservation. I insisted she find us a replacement, and after a couple of false starts she found our two nights available at Nightingales. Given that it was a few weeks till our departure date and in the peak of the summer theater festival season, I figured we were lucky to get anything at all and didn't ask too many questions. I'm not sure how the original B&B would have been, but we may have gotten the better place as a result; in fact, I'm suprised and puzzled there are almost no reviews of Nightingale's on TripAdvisor and that it isn't rated higher in the rankings. Maybe it's because the place itself doesn't seem to know what it's called -- on one side of the building the sign says Nightingails, and on the other side (and on their website) it's Nightingales.

However you spell it, the B&B is in a large, charming Edwardian literally one block away from the downtown, and three blocks from the theaters. Reserved parking is provided behind the building, and after we parked the first day, we never needed the car the rest of the time we were in Ashland. The building is furnished in an antique style but with all modern fixtures and amenities, including free WiFi throughout the building, and a mini fridge in the landing where the rooms are. In addition, they offer free wine in the parlor, and snacks and coffee/tea on the landing. We were in the Paintbrush room, which was big enough for the two of us and our luggage. The bed and pillows were quite comfortable. It's an old house, so the soundproofing isn't particularly good, which we discovered one late afternoon when the guests in the room next to us decided to get affectionate, perhaps assuming that they had the house to themselves at that hour. However, we travel with a small speaker and a white sound app, which neutralized any noise during the nighttime hours, including other guests coming home late from the theater. The hosts, Darrell and Pam, are gracious, welcoming and helpful, and foster an atmosphere where guests tend to gather in the common areas for animated discussions of theater, food and culture.

One note of caution is that the hosts specify that the second "B" in this B&B is brunch, not breakfast; that is, they offer one serving at 9:30 am. We tend to be early risers, so the first morning we took a walk in Lithia Park to kill time till food was served. Based on the one morning we ate there, they put a lot of work and creativity into their food, so we were sorry to miss the second morning, but we simply needed to get on the road sooner than we could have if we waited around, and instead we ate at the local breakfast cafe next door, which opens at 7 and had decent food.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ArtAndFood
Reviewed 12 November 2014

I had such a great experience at Nightingale's Inn. From the moment I showed up at Pam and Darrell's door, I felt like family. I had no reservation, and I had just gotten off the bus from a three day cross country trek, so I know I was a little worse for wear. Pam greeted me warmly and was serving me snacks and wine before I had even checked in. I also sprang the fact that I was a vegetarian on them with no notice, and it did not faze them in the least. Every morsel of food I had either as a snack or for breakfast was wonderful. I ate outside both mornings I stayed there, and it was a surreal experience eating amazing breakfasts, reading the paper, and enjoying beautiful weather. This was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast, and it has spoiled me. I never want to stay at a hotel again.

My room was so comfortable and clean, and Pam and Darrell were so helpful with suggestions of places to eat and things to do in Ashland. And the Inn is so centrally located to everything. It is only blocks away from Lithia Park, which was amazing, mere steps to shopping and dining, and close to the theaters as well. Ashland is easy to walk around, but they have buses as well, and I actually found that those take you to surrounding cities as well, as I caught the bus from Ashland to Medford.

I would absolutely recommend Nightingale's Inn to anyone who wants to have an amazing experience in Ashland. You will be taken care of and close to everything on top of that. You cannot ask for more than that from a vacation!

Room Tip: I loved my room (Lily Room). It looked out on Main. It was very clean, comfortable, and I had my own bathroom, which was fantastic. There is some traffic noise from being on Main, but it did not bother me, and I had no problems getting a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo