“Two people are a crowd.”
Review of The Palm

The Palm
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed at the Palm in January and were very, very disappointed. While reviewers found their room charming and cozy, we found it small, cramped, without a closet or place to set aything down, poorly lit, poorly heated with uncomfortable pillows. Of course, you could get a more comfortable pillow for $2.00 extra per night.(!) The front office doesn't open until 8:30. Since there are no coffee makers in the room, that means no coffee before 8:30. And, no decaf coffee available at all. Then, if you cancel the rest of your stay because of the unsatisfactory conditions, they charge you a $15.00 cancellation fee. I simply don't understand the rave reviews. Maybe in the summer the gardens are beautiful, but certainly in the winter without them it's difficult to understand the attraction.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank SonomaSweetie

Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I spent a very relaxing anniversary in the Sunset Suite earlier this month.
I chose this place because I had stayed here 25+ years ago when it was a dive charging $23 per night. I had noticed this place more recently while driving through Ashland to eat at the Thai Pepper or Kat Wok because it was obvious that upgrades were being done. The garden landscaping and twinkling lights in the courtyard piqued my curiosity. I went to the website and was impressed by what I saw, though I thought I would reserve judgment until we saw it in person.
I chose the Sunset Suite because it touted 2 televisions and 2 separate rooms... my idea of the perfect anniversary... his in one room and hers in the other ;). An unanticipated bonus with this choice was that it is apart from and adjacent to the original motor lodge area, in a small home that has been converted into three units. It has a dedicated shared parking area (suitable for 2 compacts) and on-street parking for larger vehicles. There is a small tree-shaded deck with a cozy sitting area that would be very nice in the spring, summer, or fall. The rooms are tastefully painted in grey with white trim, with a dark wood floor. The photo of this room on the website is the most accurate room depiction I've seen.
The front door opens into a small living/sitting room. The couch is comfortable, with an ottoman/table. There is a wet bar with water glasses, wine glasses, ceramic cups, and 2 coffeemakers. The coffee provided is obviously freshly ground and very tasty.
The bedroom is adequately sized and very nice, the bed was incredibly comfortable, though the bedside clock required a degree in engineering to set the alarm. They have every amenity in the bathroom, a very nice selection of soaps, and fluffy white bathrobes to use during your stay. The large tub is gorgeous and deep. The shower pressure is adequate.
Morning Glory Cafe is only a block away. This was another reason we chose The Palm. Morning Glory opens at 8 AM on the weekends, so we were able to get there just before the rush, have a leisurely and scrumptious breakfast, and then go back to the room to take a little nap before check-out time (11 AM).
The management and staff is quite friendly and accommodating. Read the cancellation policy before you make a reservation on-line. If you have a problem with the policy, I recommend calling The Palm directly and talking to the manager to see about other reservation arrangements.
I will definitely stay here again. I plan on running away from home some evening and renting one of the small rooms in the courtyard area... but that's our little secret... and I'll tell you all about that room afterward.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The owner of The Palm is unaccommodating and greedy. I cancelled my reservation almost two months in advance, and was told I had to pay an $18 cancellation fee. The worst thing was that they tried to tell me that this was a fee that the bank charged them, and I was lucky because the charge is usually $25 in the busy season. After saying this was a "bank fee," the manager added that they needed to recoup some of the costs of the plants they had put in. I used to think The Palm was a nice place to stay in Ashland, but it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank jimmyjames
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We have stayed at the Palm (Motel) several times on our way to/from California. The beds are the most comfortable we've ever experienced. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Free wifi is great. We love the location just a block from The Morning Glory restaurant, our favorite breakfast spot on the west coast. The rates during the off-season are reasonable, but during the theater season we have to stay over the border in Yreka or Shasta :(. We wish we could afford to stay here during the warmer months and enjoy their new pool!

Room Tip: The Classic Queen room #6 is a bit small but a good value.