“Disappointed”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Medford Oregon
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

I was told my room with the AARP discount would be 80-85 dollars. Very reasonable for Ashland. I wanted to go to a play and spend the night. I didn't need any frills. I was surprised to see my credit card charged 118 dollars....Still reasonable for Ashland, but not what I was told. When I called about it, I was told I initialed the card allowing the 90.00 for the room..and they always charged more for incidentals, in case you had any, and since I had signed the card there was nothing they could do about it. Teach me to read what I'm initialling! My room was pretty dismal...and had an unpleasant odor. i had a view of the back parking lot...ok...beyond that I had mountains...Anyway next time I'll pay more and stay downtown where I can get some enjoyment for my money.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank HelloMedford1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Salem, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2010

Room was clean and decent. Hostess very pleasant. Stairway was narrow and carpeting was filthy. Nice pool with tiny hot tub. Hot tub was actually hot enough, a very pleasant change from most hotels! Overall, a decent night's sleep, but rather expensive for the value.

Stayed October 2010
2 Thank dancin_kayak
San Francisco Bay Area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

The Stratford Inn is a good location in Ashland. There is a small, but attractive indoor pool, a feature not very common in Ashland. Almost next door is a Safeway, very convenient.

The room was a decent size with a new mini fridge and microwave. The fridge has a small, separate freezer section, great for refreezing those travel ice chest packets. The bathrooms are dated but very clean, as was the room.

The Stratford offers an adequate continental breakfast in a small, dismally decorated room. The food was all right, but the coffee was undrinkable. Maybe it was from the day before and someone forgot to clean out the pot. Bad way to start a day.

The hallways have a faux Tudor theme of wood planks laid over stark white paint that frames the doors and other areas. This teamed with old, unattractive, stained carpet makes for a terrible first impression. You pause and wonder what the room will look like. Fortunately, the room isn’t depressing like the halls, but it was very dark, even at our arrival at midday. After we opened the curtains, we had to turn on the lights to unpack. We were on the ground level, called the second floor, so we couldn’t open the windows at night. The easy chair is crudely reupholstered, but comfortable and large.

If the price were lower, we wouldn’t have been as disappointed, but at over $180 per night, including taxes, we won’t be back. Fortunately, Alex at the front desk is excellent and made our disappointment with the room fade a bit.

We read that the hotel had been recently upgraded. Wow. They should hang the decorator if that is true because while the hotel is attractive on the outside, it is tacky inside and worn looking here and there, though the staff is very responsive as well as informative about the area and the theater. We have stayed at everything from budgets to luxury hotels in and would return to most of them so we are not demanding, but we were expecting so much more from the Stratford.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TomasSF
La Mirada, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

The Stratford Inn was close enough to downtown Ashland to make it easily accessible, but also far enough away to avoid the foot traffic that is prominent in Ashland. It is also right next to a Safeway making grocery shopping very easy!! The staff was very accommodating and helped make my stay enjoyable. The bed was not particularly comfortable, but I was told by the manager that they would be replaced by summer. There is an indoor pool as well as an outdoor grilling area that was very nice and not being used by almost anyone!! Overall it was a positive experience.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
New york, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2009

I stayed at the Stratford Inn back in November, right after Halloween. I had the best time, and completely enjoyed the entire stay. The room was beautiful the ambiance was amazing. The coffee shop was very nice inside, I loved the new breakfast compared to the older breakfast that they use to have. The breakfast now is filled with protein and much better quality food. I cannot wait to come back and stay! The staff was the best customer service I have seen around Ashland. I will absolutely recommend this to my friends and family!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple