“Pleasant Suprise for Lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 70 Restaurants in Ashtabula
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 22
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Description: We combine a retro style operation with a contemporary atmosphere to provide you with the most authentic southern style BBQ and a fun-filled experience.
Louisville, Kentucky
“Pleasant Suprise for Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

My wife and I were exploring the Lake Erie shore and wandered into Ashtabula a short time before lunch. After a brief sightseeing (very brief, there is not much to see and the local museum was closed) we wandered downtown to find lunch. We were pointed to Briquettes by a local pub's bartender as a good spot to find lunch and he was so right. I had the Brunswick Stew and it was very hardy and flavorful as advertised. The pulled pork was good and my wife said her Beef Brisket Salad was great and the brisket had a distinct smoke ring and flavor. The side of Mac and Cheese was a pleasant surprise as well. On top of all this the price was very reasonable.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

We rode by here a few months ago and this time, we decided to stop! So glad we did! The good was very good! I had the two meat combo, but opted for the brisket instead of the chicken. It also came with pulled pork! Both meats were tender and flavorful, with a great hint of smokiness at the end! My plate also came with potato salad, which was good and beans. The jalapeno cornbread was most awesome! Didn't even use the butter! We tried the sweet and tangy sauce and it was very good as well. Our friends had the bbq nachos and salads topped with pulled pork and both enjoyed their food very much. We would definitely stop at this great little place again if/when we are in the area again!

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Melb33
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

I went here with the wife and we really enjoyed this restaurant. The only complaint is that it took over 10 minutes for someone to come by the table and ask us how we were and take our order. Other than that, it would have received 5 stars. Be sure to try all the different sauces.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
N8rock, Owner at Briquettes Smokehouse, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Thanks for your review Eric. Sorry to hear about your long wait for us to make it to the table. I promise that is not typical, we try to make it to every table immediately upon arrival, and greet everyone at the door. We want you to feel welcome, like if you were visiting a long lost relative (real family like!). Thanks for visiting and for your kind words, we appreciate your business and your honest feedback . . . we can't make improvements without it!
Pittsburgh
“Yummy Brisket!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

After reading good reviews about Briquettes Smokehouse in Ashtabula, I had to try the food. I liked my brisket sandwich very much, as well as the side of Brunswick Stew. My son and husband enjoyed their food and the big selection of sauces. The bourbon barbeque sauce was their favorite.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank PensandSteelersFan
Ashtabula, Ohio
“Even the locals know what a gem this place is!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

I live nearby and I eat at Briquettes every time the man and I get a night free, which isn't often. But we know the food is awesome and we know the owners, so its nice to have the small town feel of knowing the people who work to make the place so special and know the quality of food served is also 110%

• Visited May 2011