“Update -- Still Depressing, but Moreso”
Review of Chapel Hill Mall

Chapel Hill Mall
Ranked #49 of 56 things to do in Akron
More attraction details
Owner description: Chapel Hill Mall offers a fine selection of stores such as JCPenney, Macy's, Sears, and other specialty retail shops. You can also grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants.
Reviewed 15 March 2018

Spare yourself. Stay at home and shop. "But they have a Starbucks," you say.

No More. The Starbucks shut down and moved out. But they left the empty depressing hull of the former coffee oasis standing, as a reminder of caffeinated, slightly happier times.

1  Thank admelfo

Reviewed 13 March 2018

My first and last visit to this mall. It's a really good size! The inside is 85% empty. But, I did have fun photographing all the empty store fronts of long-gone stores. From Lane Bryant to Payless. Pretty crazy.

We went in the JC Penney for a bit. (Just because they are becoming rare to find with all the closures.) I bought a very cheap tank top. Everything was on sale.

We were leaving out the main door and pointed at the empty, sad Carousel. A food court attendant immediately rushed up to us and got very aggressive. Telling us to buy a ticket to support the Mall! I said, "Hey, easy ok? I'm a grown woman. I'm not buying a ticket. I was just LOOKING at it!"

Reviewed 21 February 2018

A nice quiet place to shop with my 5 year old grandson. We rented one of those motorized animals and he drove it through the mall. I loved that it wasn't a very crowded mall and he could ride it without running into anyone. They have a beautiful water fountain that is so relaxing and my grandson loved riding on the Carousel. It is a small mall. So if you like larger malls with more varity. This mall isn't for you but I love it!

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

This mall is so sad. It was once an awesome place to shop. Macy's and Sears have both vacated. JcPenney is the only anchor store left. So many other empty stores. Instead of keeping kiosks they have moved those into store fronts to make it look better. It really doesn't look great to see a cell phone repair place try to fill a store front. Food court is mediocre. There isn't security to be found and I don't feel safe entering the side entrances. Even the lighting is dim inside.

1  Thank Gretchen G
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 August 2017

This mall has definitely seen better days. There were several empty lots including at least one anchor. The staff, however, was very helpful and friendly. We came here to ride the carousel 15 minutes before it opened at 10 am, and we discovered the carousel didn’t open until 11. We couldn’t wait that long, so we were guided to the mall office where we explained we had come from Michigan to ride their carousel. They did some searching around, and someone who had operated it before gave us a special ride. This carousel is beautifully kept up. It was the 2nd carousel Carousel Works of Mansfield, OH made (in 1994), therefore the 2nd new wooden carousel ever to be made – quite a distinction! The last classic wooden carousel was made in 1934. Our hope is that this mall can revitalize, but if not, this carousel is worth moving to a new location to continue entertaining people of all ages.

3  Thank Bertram S