“Beautiful Mountain Lodge”
Review of Bent Creek Lodge

Bent Creek Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Arden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The Bent Creek Lodge was highly recommended to me by my sister. We had a wedding in Asheville this month and made plans to stay there. The lodge has a beautiful setting and is peaceful and comfortable. Breakfast is delicious and sitting on the deck drinking coffee in the morning was a special treat. I have made plans to return for a four day family gathering in August. It is very convenient to Asheville, The Biltmore Estate, the French Broad River, and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Bent Creek Lodge

Reviewed 24 June 2012

The hosts, Doug and Jodee, were really wonderful, providing good service but not being overly curious, and the other staff were courteous, too. The lodge is rustic, but not primitive. The grounds, although steep, have paths and plants galore. We stayed in the Bike room, which is on the third floor. These rooms have a "balcony" outside, which did provide a second entrance, as well as good views, but no one actually sat out there, perhaps because the balcony is so narrow that they have placed "director's chairs" on it, rather than the more comfortable chairs which are on the second floor deck. As other reviewers have noted, there isn't much sound insulation between the rooms, which on the third floor are side-by-side. And, without a great contractor and a goodly chuck of change, that just going to be a bit of a problem. There are no televisions in these upstairs rooms, which is good, because the sound would no doubt contribute the the noise issue.

Breakfast on both days of our stay was more than adequate in quantity, was well-prepared, and served quickly. The breakfast menu is posted the night before on a slate. Since my husband does not think that eggs should ever share a plate with a tomato, instead of the breakfast enchilada on the menu, Jodee prepared a more basic scrambled egg plate for us. As the lodge was entirely booked, we were impressed with that attention to detail. Our second morning, we had citrus French toast, with fruit, yogurt, and granola— and, yes, it was as decadent as it sounds. There are snacks and drinks for guests to have anytime, which is an added bonus.

I chose the Bent Creek Lodge primarily for its location, which is less than a mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway, as it sweeps through the southern part of Asheville. As two-wheel enthusiasts, the lodge seemed to be a great spot. However, the steep drive and gravel parking lot could present a challenge to inexperienced motorcycle riders. I would agree with much of what other reviewers have said, apart from criticizing the food.

For us, the innkeepers rate five of five, as does the location. However, the construction of the lodge keeps this from being a perfect score. Although this lodge is a bit more expensive than some B&B properties, I thought it was a good value, because the room was nice, the food was great, the service was good, and the location is just about perfect.

Room Tip: From what others have said, an observation, I think the Barn Room would be great, because it is adja...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeorgiaGal09
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife and I were able to make an overnight business trip into a celebration of our 22nd anniversary at Bent Creek Lodge B&B. I have stayed at a lot of B&Bs from South America to the mid west. This property was a delightful change. The lodge was built in the late 1998, and the owners Doug & Jodee Sellers were very kind and welcoming. Over our stay there were +/-5 other couples staying at the lodge. The rooms were very clean, well decorated, beds were comfortable. Most notable is that there was no TV in the room. I kind of liked it as we were there to enjoy each others company and the lodge. It was very peaceful. We stayed in the Wild Flower room and it had a large jet tub that was delightful.
For us, as an overnight get away, this was a good stay for us. It was near Asheville but not in the downtown mix mush of noise and people. We did not hear one police sirene or boom boom music from passerbys the whole time as the lodge is deep in the woods on the side of a small mountain. It was spectacularly peaceful. Breakfast was good and adequate and more than filling. Served with coffee, fruit and waffels. NOTE: Overall Asheville is a little on the pricey side of things as it trys to appeal to the trendy money crowd and to the artsy hippy crowd. So we expected to pay a little more to stay in Asheville (typically double from what is seen elsewhere) and we were not let down in the pricing area. Overall I would stay at The Bent Creek Lodge again, but not on business as it was a little higher priced than my business budget allowd, but it was on the lower side of the price range as compared to the other 50 B&Bs in the Asheville area. In essence it was worth the cost for our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the WIld Flower room that had a jet tub and was on the third floor leading out to a lar...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jim D
Reviewed 12 May 2012

About a month ago, I had the opportunity to stay at Bent Creek Lodge. It has an Asheville address – close to Asheville, but in a lovely out of the way secluded area. When we arrived during that week, it appeared that there was only one other couple there. Because our rooms were next to one another, Doug kindly moved us to the Water Room. (Can’t say enough good about that shower!)

Each room has an entry to the back balcony overlooking the ‘back yard’. I walked down to see Bent Creek and was rewarding with sculptures and stain glass along the way. Loe-D and Leona, the two lodge dogs, were there to encourage me along – even though they ran circles around me!

Breakfast was a treat. Jodee is an incredible cook and enjoys seeing others enjoy her food.

And, if you want to venture into downtown Asheville, it isn’t far. But, personally, I loved staying at the lodge, playing billiards (something I haven’t done for about 35 years), or taking a hike and then sitting on the deck with my book. Now – that’s relaxing!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LJKNc
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the warm "hearth and home" feeling we felt when we arrived. We stayed in the "Barn" room which had a king bed( most B&B do not have) and spacious bathroom. It was located on the main floor, tucked in the back corner of the lodge. We enjoyed the view from the beautiful raised deck which ran across the back of the lodge.
Our second day there was rainy and chilly so we were pleasantly surprised, when we returned from visiting the Biltmore Estate, that the hearth was blazing and there was warm cookies and hot coco,tea or coffee ready for us to warm up. The common room also had a pool table, which helped break the ice and we enjoyed the company of several other couples.
The only issue we had was with the portions and choices at breakfast, so I wrote to Jodee and she was gracious to respond and apply my suggestions. She has since incorporated a side table with additional choices and extras. We would highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank giulianogirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arden
The Residences at Biltmore
Hill House Bed & Breakfast
#14 of 39 in Asheville
Wildberry Lodge
#1 of 1 in Leicester

Been to Bent Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK