All reviewsthe blue ridge parkwaywildflower roomwater roomback porchwatching the birdsbird roomnc arboretumbed and breakfastcommon roomrustic feelhomemade granolaowners and staffthe french broad riverother guestsspent nightswatch tvevery morning
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our 13th Anniversary and had a fabulous trip. The lodge was lovely, with peaceful quiet all around. We enjoyed the breakfasts immensely and love the slightly out-of-the-way location from downtown, while close enough to enjoy everything Asheville has to offer. We'll definitely go again!

Room Tip: Definitely choose your room carefully - the top may be quieter!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mbingh
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stay in B & B's often. The website for Bent Creek is very good, but it should let you know not to make any noise. The common area is very nice...but only should be used to read a book or have a small conversation. There were 3 couples playing cards on New Years Eve at 10:30, and we got told to quieten down. They need to put a sign up saying this area is closed at 10:00. There is one saying to stop shooting pool at 9:30.

When you are in your room, you can hear the conversation in the next room.

The food is very good at breakfast, but please do not ask for a little more.

The lodge is laid out well, is in a good location, and is very clean.

This would be great place to stay if there were no other guests here.

I am sitting in the common area as I write this and can hear other guest walking around on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hank p
DougSellers, Owner at Bent Creek Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2012

Thanks for the review and especially for the three 5 star ratings. I wish Trip Advisor could average those correctly. You are correct, the lodge, like most BnB's and hotels, is not perfectly sound proofed which is why I reminded you to be aware that there were others in the lodge. I know that is difficult on New Year's and I am sorry if it offended you.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Beautiful property. The room was very comfortable with private bath. The common area was a great place to lounge, read, watch tv or play pool. The breakfast was excellent each day and the owners were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Bent Creek Lodge is a not your traditional B&B, but a 'lodge'. It is fairly new, built for the B&B business, and has spacious living areas on both the main and lower floors. These common areas are nice and comfortable to hang out in. The lodge is located in a wooded area, up the hill in a secluded development. Our room (the Bird Room) was somewhat spartan (no comfortable sitting chairs for reading, etc) but had a back door leading to the upper deck which had a great view of the nicely landscaped back yard. The downstairs deck is especially nice and all of the downstairs rooms have entrances from this deck. The setting was beautiful and serene, the kind of place you can just hang out. Breakfast was very nicely prepared, although the portions felt a little small for me. On the downside, every light fixture had one of those CFL bulbs installed, from what I observed. I understand the reason for doing this, but these bulbs produce a harsh, somewhat bluish light. Every light fixture in our bedroom also had them, with no lampshades. This made being in our bedroom at night somewhat of an unpleasant experience. Also, I concur with other reviewers that noise levels were higher than I would have liked, especially since one of the guests chose to play pool late at night, disturbing our sleep. The proprietors were very nice and made good dinner recommendations. There is a lot to do in the area.

Room Tip: The Bird Room is in the center of the upper floor in the lodge, making it very possible that you will hear the noise of the guests hanging out in the lower main common area.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank levh01
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The promotional photo does not belie Bent Creek Lodge’s setting nor appearance. It is just as beautiful, and the setting as serene as it appears to be. The inn is fairly new, built for the B&B business, with spacious living areas on both the main and lower floors. The fireplace is inviting, and the decks along the back of the building, which rooms on the main and lower floors can access, are particularly attractive. Breakfast is different every day and something to look forward to.

However, the inn is a disappointment on two accounts. The bed in our room (The Tree Room on the lower level) was atrocious. Although advertised as having a queen size bed, the room had a double bed (unlike Barbara Mandrel’s song, it was two of us trying to sleep in it), the mattress was excessively soft and it sagged. By the third day I had to get up in the middle of the night, grab a blanket and pillows and sleep on the couch in the TV room. Not what I would prefer to do after paying $150 for a room! It is not a good sensation to feel taken advantage of by deceptive advertising.

We overheard several other couples asking to be moved to rooms with bigger beds, so the problem was not limited to The Tree Room.

The second objection is the lack of soundproofing in the building as a whole. At night, you could hear the snoring from folks in the adjacent room, as well as footsteps on the floor above.

After three days my wife and I were worn out from lack of sleep, decided to cut short our otherwise lovely vacation and drove straight home.

If it weren’t for these two very significant drawbacks, the Bent Creek Lodge would be an adorable place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EdinOrlando
DougSellers, Owner at Bent Creek Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

This is our only poor review ever on any directory and it is not factual! Although the reviewer described the overall appearance, setting, atmosphere and breakfast fairly and generously the description of the bed is just not honest. The bed is as described on our website, Queen size. It is a fairly new, Kingsdown, medium firm mattress that has had rave reviews by other guests. Several have asked where they could buy one. We have used the same mattress on our own bed for over 10 years and it does not sag at all. The statement the reviewer made about overhearing others asking for larger beds is just not true. It did not happen that weekend or any weekend. We have 3 Kings size beds, 6 Queen size beds and 1 full size bed in the Outer Banks room and all the mattresses are in very good or excellent condition. If our mattresses were as hard as he obviously prefers they would be considered uncomfortable to the vast majority of other guest.