“Gumbet for the young.”

Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Gumbet
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Gumbet for the young.”
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We really enjoyed our holiday here at the Queen Resort, it was very clean and the staff were very friendly but I think self-catering is totally out of the question at this hotel. The facilities are not what you would expect say in Europe, plus there are no near supermarkets to buy food from, only small shops which have a very limited stock. I think it would be much better and cheaper to go half-board or fully inclusive, as to eat out each night is rather expensive for pensioners. Also this is a resort for younger people as there are so many discos which blare music out till at least 4 o'clock in the morning. Still Bodrum was a super place and overall we did have a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter.
1 Thank JudithStour
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I and my partner stayed at the Queen Resort for a week. Upon arrival I guess it looked as I thought, the street it’s based on is okay, not by anyway amazing with a Chinese restraint attached a fake handbag shop across the road and a small shop next door which is very useful. I was hoping for a nice room and I have to admit they were very clean and the furniture was great, very modern etc however the room we had was some what disappointing with a huge yellow generator right beside one of the windows the other window was facing another balcony a bit to close for comfort. The TV remote was pointless as buttons were missing, towel rail was hanging off and there was a telephone in the bathroom? But the socket was wide open exposing wires. Considering we went so late and it was the end of the season the hotel was fairly quiet, I was so disappointed with the room that I went to reception to ask if we could get a better room, the young ‘receptionist’ was incredibly rude and this really rattled me she said I could have another room, pointing from where she was sitting I said I didn’t know the room numbers so she rudely tutted stood up then showed me, she was offering me a room about 10ft away from the bar so just left it, no apology, not a word.

The rest of the staff are friendly enough, but I think you need spend more money on food, sauna etc to get on there good side however all credit to the cleaner(s) they do an excellent job, cleaning dishes and making a real effort with the beds.

The pool is nice and clean although as noted by someone else you can only lie on one side where the beds are quickly taken. Overall I honestly can’t believe this hotel is rated number 1 in Gumbet, in my opinion is doesn’t deserve to be.

As an area we will never be back, the area is very very tourist oriented and we personally found everyone incredibly rude from shopkeepers to restaurant owners they are desperate 24/7 to get you in, if you don’t go in they are just rude. Once you are in, they are rude. In terms of places to go we found the restaurant/pub just along the road from the hotel called Bronze Corner really good, friendly staff and fairly lively. There is also an Indian called BRONZE which serves very nice, genuine Indian food although quite expensive is definitely worth it.

Overall I was really disappointed we took a trip over to Greece for the day and went here last year so will certainly be picking this over Turkey. I think if you enjoy wearing Adidas ‘cottons’ have shaved hair etc etc this is the holiday for you, lots of chav/ned type family’s. Not for us, lesson learnt.

4 Thank BREMBO1
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed here for one week mid October and had a fab time, room was very nice, clean spacious and welcoming, cleaners were so lovely. The pool area was very nice and all the people working there were so friendly, I have nothing bad to say about my experience in Turkey. I will be coming back. If your a cat lover you will be in heaven though can be upsetting seeing all the stray cats and dogs! Thank you Queen's for making our holiday so great!!

2 Thank SophieJAL
Marma, Uppsala Lan, Sweden
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This hotel is absolutely the best hotel in Turkey. We loved it. The service was perfect and the staff was so kind and we love them. The room was clean and its feels like home. We want back right now. Summer 2012 rush :)) We want back :))

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma19840904
York
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This place is cheap. We booked via alpharooms an apartment for three people. Between three it cost almost nothing per night for accommodation. The pool's great, food at the bar is cheap and good for breakfast and snacks.

Reception staff were ok, didn't have any issues. Bar staff warmed on me from initially assuming they were mentally deficient - once i grasped the hours they put in and the context they'd been working in all summer that changed a little.

Gumbet is not my thing and this place is smack bang in the middle. If you like full englishes, bisto, Sunday roasts, pie and chips, bars showing xfactor/coronation St/etc, paraletic brits, the odd fight, getting endless hassle from bar reps - but it might be yours and if so this place is probably the best place to stay.

I thought Gumbet beach was dirty and run down.

We used this place as a base spent a few days by the pool, hired a car, got out to some stunning places in the day and mixed the nightlife up between Bodrum and gumbet.

Also the gym is completely rubbish. And seemed to full of towel clad Turks from the Turkish bath next door.

Hotel - good. Location - poor.

• Stayed October 2011