“Very good - apart from the smoke” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Ankara Hotel Convention Center

Grand Ankara Hotel Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 171 Hotels in Ankara
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Very good - apart from the smoke”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

I stayed in the Rixos Grand for four nights in mid October while at a confernce. Good reception, great room, comfortable bed, all the facilities I could want, but - on some nights more than others - cigarette smoke somehow drifted into the room, presumably through the air conditioning. It was mild at first but, on my last night, very strong, I had to leave very early and, though I reported the problem, I never found out the cause.

A shame because in all other respects the hotel as great and excellent value.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RixosGrandAnkara, Rixos Grand Ankara at Grand Ankara Hotel Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 January 2016
Dear valued guest;

Thank you for your nice review and sharing the details of your experience.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will share your comments with our entire team. And also the related department manager has been informed about the problems you have mentioned. Hereafter we will be more attentive and will definitely take actions to your feedbacks for further improvements.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back, assuring our best service and attention.

Sincerely
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aichi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2010

I liked this hotel the moment I entered the entrance. Very well designed waiting space and stylish bar are available. When I was relaxed watching TV in the room, a staff came to offer me some sweets (Turkish delight) in tiny box, which was the best turkish delight I've ever had in Turkey. The only thing I regret is, that I could not use a bath-tub because it was out of order. I called to the front desk to ask how to fix it but the front girl seemed not to understand my english and just said she will call back later but she didn't. I called the frontdesk so many times until I got someone who listens to me. I ended up waiting for sengineers to fix the bath until midnight. Other than that, I like this hotel. They just need to educate staffs.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
Dear Guest;

Thank you for your review and sharing the details of your experience.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will share your comments with our entire team. And also the related department managers have been informed about the problems you have mentioned. Hereafter we will be more attentive and will definitely take actions to your feedbacks for further improvements.

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

My husband and I enjoyed our stay in the Rixos Grand Hotel in Ankara, Turkey. The lobby was lovely, our room was contemporary, clean and comfortable. The only problem we had was that our room was always hot. We also noticed that the shower leaked water all over the floor. But overall our room was very nice, our bed and pillows were comfortable and the personnel were very accomdating.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajay1960
Dear valued guest;

Thank you for your review and sharing the details of your experience.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

Stayed 3 nights at the new Rixos after my usual business hotel was oversold in mid-October. Overall I was pleasantly surprised. In terms of ambience, the general impression was more of a high-end Las Vegas-style hotel--which may, or may not appeal to some. Rixos is on a very busy street across from the Turkish Parliament, and I imagine there is a lot of business there related to the government building's proximity. The lobby is very large and expansive, and its design does very little to suggest you are in Turkey--it could be anywhere. A large, floor to high ceiling water sculpture dominates one side of the lobby, and there is extensive use of hanging silver beads to separate spaces. It will be interesting to see if this design "ages well" over the years.

My room was arranged in way I had never seen before: nice king bed, but a curved, glass wall separates the bathroom with an enormous modern shaped tub from the rest of the room. Neon blue light circling over the tub adds a little glitz (or cheeziness, depending on your preference), and a floor to ceiling hanging fringe lines the curved glass wall. There is a separate small shower and WC, each enclosed with frosted glass doors. The shower has a nice overhead waterfall type shower head. So, though the room size was not large, it felt larger due to the see-through glass wall. Nice electronic controls of the many lights and the room black-out shade--but you have to insert your room card into the slot upon entering to make it work (remember to take the card with you when you leave!). A large sliding mirrorred door to a fairly small closet also makes the room feel larger. Free wireless internet (a plus). One complaint--there is no clock in the room other than that on the bottom of the wide-screen TV--and is not visible when the TV is off. I used the TV to set up wake up calls, and it worked well.

The restaurant just down a ramp off of the lobby floor is large, open, appealing and excellent for breakfast: buffet setup with several different sweet and savory offerings, and a separate omelete station. One evening I found the in-house spa (a little difficult to find, 2 floors down from the lobby) and was very pleasantly surprised--much more elaborate that the usual hotel spa. It is an upscale, full facility with multiple well appointed massage rooms, a large sauna, a steam room, and private locker facilities for both men and women. Appointments are taken, but I had a classic massage on a walk-in basis around 8PM (closes at 10pm). They offer Thai, Bali and aromatherapy massages with advance appointment. I do not think there is a charge if you want to just use the sauna and steam room for hotel guests. The indoor pool is also in the same area, but is not attached to the spa. It looked very nice, but I did not use it.

I usually stay in the Executive floors of business hotels, but it was overbooked (must have been something big going on in Ankara that week!), so I cannot comment. I did look into the lounge for my next visit, and it was well appointed. I understand that drinks and snacks are served from 6-9pm daily.

Overall, a very nice business hotel that is modern, spacious, uses design in innovative ways. Located across from the Turkish parliament on a busy main thoroughfare. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Dear valued guest;

We appreciate for your review and sharing the details of your experience.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will share your comments with our entire team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. And also the related department managers have been informed about the problems you have mentioned. Hereafter we will be more attentive and will definitely take actions to your feedbacks for further improvements.

We sincerely hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.