“Night vision goggles please”
Review of Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy
Ranked #299 of 2,119 Restaurants in Quezon City
Reviewed 15 June 2016 via mobile

Attempting to eat a Oyster thermidor snack in the near darkness of the upper deck of Oyster Boy Shopwise (Cubao, QC) stumped me as I had forgotten my night vision goggles at home. I had earlier studied the menu by waitress cellphone light, but said phone was taken away once I had ordered from the menu.

This darkness business was strike 2 as the waitstaff initially seated me on the 3rd of 3 connected tables, then made me move to the upper deck because the table I was at had a snooty group unused to sharing tables. Right.

Upper deck was nearly full dark, except for some low watt down lighters along the far wall. Vampires in their coffins would have found the near dark upper deck very comforting. Obviously not enough to see my food clearly, the oysters in their shells looked like dark lumps.

Could I have a candle please? Waiter looked annoyed I asked for light! To see my food! So demanding!

It took at least 2 waiters to leisurely dig thru a drawer and wander about aimlessly while the thermidor's mozzarella started to harden. A stump of a candle arrived, coated with unknown nasty black gunk that accrues from rolling in a drawer or maybe from under a cabinet. Strike 3.

Short of sticking the candle on the center of my plate to see the oysters, might as well eat quickly and not be distracted by thoughts of black gunk that might include parts of dead roaches and other horrors.

How hard was it to fetch a lousy candle? How hard was it to clean the lousy candle before putting it in a glass so a customer could see the food?

Could not taste the food as the cheese had hardened and seriously, nuances of flavor disappear when sighted people (with normal vision) still struggle to see their food.

Solo eaters eat at your own risk here. Better yet, demand your night vision goggles if you're placed in the upper deck dining area.

- Photo 2 shows how I had to use a super special app's low light filter just to better see the food, despite having the candle.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank rawrrr

Reviewed 30 May 2016

Very ordinary sisig. We waited almost an hour to be served. Service crew lacks courtesy. Unequal treatment of customers, they served the foreigners first though we came earlier.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 20 March 2016

Nice place to dine with friends. Food is top notch quality and friendly service from the staff make up for a time out well spent.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed 28 February 2016

It's a nice Seafood restaurant in Metrowalk. They have a good variety of seafood. Service is good and price of the food is also reasonable. I love their grilled oyster.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 2 February 2016

Food is good. Prices are reasonable. The oysters are a must try! They are guaranteed fresh and are definitely the saving grace of the restaurant.

The ambiance, however is terrible. We came in for dinner, and the place was dark and seedy looking. The restroom is not so clean. Not a place you'd like to bring your kids, especially for dinner. Lunch would probably be a better time to come here as a family.

Definitely not a date place.

Date of visit: December 2015