“Cod Fish bento box - great taste, pricey”
Review of Nobu Manila

Nobu Manila
Ranked #26 of 1,003 Restaurants in Manila
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Had a late lunch here. Food is really good especially the COD Fish. The Japanese rice makes a great compliment with the Tasty Cod.
However, the mix green salad a bit salty, not sure if I did not mix it well. The gyoza that comes with the Bento is well prepared.
Miso soup and a glass of fruit ice tea comes with this bento order.
The place itself is very relaxing complimented by the food. Though on the pricey side.
If you need some R&R , quiet retreat, and willing to splurge a few more Pppppeso, then this place can be a sanctuary.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Food is bland as compared to the Nobu back home (I am from San Francisco). Couldn't really detect the fusion in the dishes and it seems that the chefs here want to play safe by holding back on the Peruvian side. Pricewise, the food here is more expensive but the drinks are way cheaper.

Surprised to see locals walk in in flip flops at dinner. Even tourists are aware that dinner requires proper attire.

Wait staff was unprofessional. Please spare us the discomfort of having to explain that we are foreigners when you speak to us in your language. Not all Asians are Filipinos.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Braved 2-hour traffic to meet with friends in Nobu. Have tried the one in Manhattan and the one in Malibu and this one holds up well. I can understand some of the comments on priciness but the other Nobu's were just as pricey and the one in Malibu really had no dress code too. The restaurant is spacious and designed to give a lot of movement space. Is it my favorite lay-out? Probably not but you go to Nobu for the food and for my tastes, it delivered and was comparable to the other Nobus I have visited. Joy was the one who attended to us and even my foreigner friends who are used to fancy restaurants thought she was excellent with her recommendations and attention to our needs. As for the food, my friends did the ordering as they frequent Nobu and there was no bad order. Everything was top notch but my favorite had to be the spicey edamame. Was it pricey? Definitely. But you go in knowing that anyways. Would I go back? Definitely. But I figure I need to save up for it again. All in all, it was an enjoyable dinner. We stayed 3 hours and had some 9 dishes. Delivery was spaced very well so we enjoyed it a lot. We were also in a booth which is something we prefer for privacy so it all worked out.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Do not get carried away by the hype about Nobu. It is simply overrated and severely overpriced! The interiors are nothing special. The lights above our table were too strong and it was difficult to eat without feeling as if there was a spotlight shining on us. There was no faint music playing in the background.

It took five minutes for the waiter to present us with the drink menu. With only five other tables that were occupied at the time, I was expecting that he would wait for our drink orders or at least stand a few feet away and wait to be summoned but no - the guy just left! After craning our necks in search of an attentive waiter, we were finally able to get his attention. It took another five minutes for him to return with the main course menu. His description of the dishes was basic: chicken that was sliced and skewered ("two pieces po siya"), sauce that is spicy (period, no further information as to the kind of spices used). I was told that the paella was good for 2-3 people. No recommendations were made regarding their signature dishes.

Service was really slooow. It would take minutes for a drink to arrive, which often had to be followed up. One drink never came, and the cream for the coffee took so long that it got cold. Once again, this was on a slow night with the restaurant less than half-filled! There were actually a lot of waiters moving around but I doubted their efficiency. A waitress spoke in Filipino, which was inappropriate for a five star (?) hotel. The only staff who truly rose to the occasion was the receptionist, who made small talk as she guided us to our table. That was a nice touch.

The food was... Blah. The cold soba noodles were stylishly coiled but the taste itself was ordinary. The condiments were scrimped on and appeared to be presented more as a garnish. There was no traditional uncooked egg. The paella was served in an 8 1/2-inch diameter dish, just enough for a single serving! The taste was dull; nothing really stood out and screamed "so totally worth the P1500 for this teeny dish!" at me. I should've gone to Alba's instead. Totoro sushi was P680/piece. It was a small thin cut of tuna which was rich enough, although the price was totally unjustified. The mini tacos were good but also ridiculously overpriced.

Most disappointing of all was the fact that they had no dress code. I always thought that in all hotels across Metro Manila, at the very least they would ban slippers and tank tops in their restaurants but not at this one. Guests and nannies walked around in T-shirts, denim shorts and the same type of slippers that people wore to the market. They ate alongside others who took the effort to look presentable in a five-star hotel, and behaved accordingly. With screaming toddlers and slipper-clad nannies chasing and crudely shushing them ("ssst, ssssst, sssst"), the dining experience went down several notches. If the restaurant wanted to keep up with the pretense of being the best new restaurant in Manila, details like this should be noted.

We paid around P14,000 for a group of four. I would have been happier having gone to the Cafe Ylang-Ylang buffet at Manila Hotel.

1  Thank Simple_Traveller207
Reviewed 7 August 2017

love this place! They use good quality ingredients which i believe some came from japan. My favorite dishes are Rock shrimp tempura and Black cod miso.