1,800 results
All reviews cafe ilang ilang champagne room ylang ylang swim up bar douglas macarthur general macarthur grand dame historic hotel rizal park breakfast buffet grand lobby lobby lounge star hotel filipino hospitality pool area is chinese restaurant bay view
Reviewed 11 May 2015

This 5 star hotel has anything/everything a guest could ask for in a hotel. While the common areas have what can only be described as old world charm and elegance, the guest rooms are modern, sophisticated, and extremely comfortable. The service at this hotel is impeccable. The only drawbacks to this hotel are the cost of anything in the hotel and there are no stores or other shopping within walking distance. Take time to learn the history of this hotel, including its importance during WW II. Most hotels in the world could learn about quality and service from the Manila Hotel. A decadent splurge, but well worth it.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Gerhard D, General Manager at The Manila Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2015

It is a great privilege to be of service to you and attend to your needs. Thank you for sharing your good feedback. The whole Manila Hotel team appreciates your uplifting words and positive comments. We hope to welcome you again on our storied halls.

Reviewed 10 May 2015

I watch traveling shows and I knew I was headed to Manila April-May. I happened to catch this hotel on one of the shows and I couldn't believe my eyes. For the Philippines to be such a poor island in most areas, I thought it was too good to be true. Let me tell you I was more than pleasantly surprised.

First, the lounge at the airport is amazing. Nice and cool from the heat of the day. Very professional staff who had a car waiting for us when we arrived. They bill you for the car at the hotel (at least they did that for me), so you don't have to worry if you have no pesos right away. They accept US currency in tips also so I was generous with my dollars since in the Philippines one of mine is worth 44 there.

The hotel has immediate security which is great for those who need to feel safe. They scan your luggage and check the car as you drive up with sniffing dogs and everything. Just sit tight. No need to be alarmed. Precautionary only.

When you walk in, the lounge is absolutely stunning. The uniforms on the staff or classic and charming and they are so unbelievably hospitable!!!! They take your luggage right away, call you sir and ma'am. You really feel like a king/queen from the moment you enter. There is a live band most of the day in the lounge and a few restaurant options.

The rooms are exactly as advertised--STUNNING. I know some are used to a little more luxury depending on your financial status, but the average and even higher end traveller should like the rooms. A TV in the tub, a phone near the toilet, who wouldn't love that??? The rooms are spacious and well designed. You feel like you're in luxury and it's very reasonably priced though the locals think it's over priced.

The spa is omg amazing. You won't get wifi while you're down there but who cares! The massages and facials are everything!!!! I lived in that spa my entire time there. The gym is awesome equipped with a great steam room, the pool has a swim up bar and it's pretty lively from opening to closing. There's a view of the ocean but mainly the dock where the ships come in.

The restaurant with the world style buffet is OMG amazing. It's worth every peso. You can have everything from Italian cuisine to Indian to Japanese to Spanish and the list goes on. For two we paid about 5000 Pesos. It was so worth it. And in this same restaurant they offer a FREE multi cultural breakfast! You can get anything you can think of in this gourmet buffet. I know I gained several pounds. PLEASE try to the gelato!!! OMG!

I can go on and on about this hotel. I loved that they call you just to check on you and make sure you don't need anything. They survey briefly and that is what keeps ratings high. I would go back to Manila just to stay in this hotel and never leave it. I loved it!!!

I also loved that they are right up the street from Manila Ocean Park. I walked to it and from it and through the famous park there with no hassles. You will get begging kids selling scam tickets so be careful. A stern no should do it. Guard your purse as they are quick! I enjoyed Manila Ocean Park but that's another review. Stay at this hotel and rave about it later just like I am!!!!

Room tip: Every room is a good one. Heck sleeping in the lobby is luxury! Book it!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank LadyRein1

Thank you for your positive feedback and for sharing this wonderful experience with us! It is a privilege to serve you and to attend to your needs. We truly appreciate your kind words and comments. Truly, we hope to welcome you again on our storied halls.

Reviewed 9 May 2015 via mobile

Stayed here only for 1 night but i wished I stayed longer. The moment i stepped inside of the grand lobby, I immediately feel relaxed. The desk personnel who dealt with me are all pleasant to talk to especially the guy I spoke to upon check out. The room is spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. The interior of the room is also to my taste. The bathroom is also quite spacious. In the morning i went down for breakfast at 7.30 and not many people are dining at that time. I was apprehensive as I am not used to dining alone but I felt relaxed as soon as I was sat down. A girl in yellow dress uniform immediately came over to offer me a coffee or a tea. The girls all wore bright yellow dresses. The breakfast choices are plentiful. There are both Filipino and International dishes to choose from, different breads and pastries and good selections of fresh fruits. Overall, I enjoyed my short stay in this fab hotel and I am already planning to stay here again on my next visit.

Trip type: Travelled solo

It is truly an honor to be of service to you and to have met your expectations. Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts about this wonderful experience with our Hotel. We truly appreciate your kind words and comments. We hope to welcome you again on our storied halls.

Reviewed 8 May 2015

Had a deluxe room with a view of the harbour. The room was spacious and comfortable. There was a bath and also a separate shower in the bathroom. Great breakfast selection. Nice pool with loungers and also a gym area. However at the weekends and holidays there were many families there and not enough loungers. We used the jacuzzis in the health club but were a bit disappointed to find that they were segregated - male and female. The first time I used the jacuzzi the water was a good temperature but the next day it was cold so not inviting.

The hotel is situated within walking distance of Intramuros but there aren't any restaurants nearby apart from Shakeys. There is also a Seven Eleven there to stock up on drinks as the water if purchased in the hotel is 250 for a small bottle.

The food in the restaurant was very good. We opted for the a la carte as we felt the buffet was overpriced especially if you have a small appetite.

The staff are pleasant and helpful

Taxis are hard to get from the hotel as they do not line up outside. The staff have to call one for you which can be a problem. We booked a car through the hotel to get back to the airport as we were worried we would not get there in time in view of the traffic. The international departures area in the airport is a complete nightmare with few seats so be prepared to sit on a luggage trolley!

Room tip: we had a room with a harbour view
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We have shared your concerns with the whole team who look forward to hosting you again in the future. Comments and suggestions like yours allow us to improve our service. We hope to welcome you again in our storied halls.

Reviewed 8 May 2015

Our stay in Manila Hotel would have been more pleasant if not for the constant and very annoying hounding of the hotel staffs asking for our room number.

I went out of the hotel and when I came back the guard on the main doors asked for my room number before she allowed me in. I was headed to the elevator and guard on duty again asked for my room number.

We ate in Ilang-Ilang for dinner and I had to use the toilet, before hostess let me in she asked for my room number. After a few minutes I had to take my seven year son to the toilet and again before the same hostess lets us in she asked for my room number. I took my seven year old son back to the toilet and before the same hostess lets us back in she again ask for my room number.

Same scenario happened during breakfast.

I must have said my room number more than 20 times in my overnight stay in the hotel.

Their buffet policy for kids are as follows: Kids under five years old eat for free while kids over five years old have to pay 50% of the buffet price.

Good points:

We stayed on the 17th floor. We had a spectacular view of the Intramuros golf course. The room was rustic, well designed and spacious. Bed was firm and pillows were fluffy.

Dinner buffet in Ilang-Ilang was amazing! Everything was delicious! I especially liked the fried carbs and the prawns!!!

Room tip: Get a room with a city view
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for sharing with us your feedback during your stay with us. We have noted your concerns and would like to make your next experience with us more memorable. Nevertheless, we are very honored to be of service to you and your needs. We hope to welcome you again in our storied halls.