“Waited too long.....”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I've been living in the Fort for 8 months and wished I tried this sooner. Food was great and Ice cream was fantastic. Give it a try..I don't think you will be disappointed.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

The Rose has been open for a year in Bonifacio Global City for lunch and dinner. It is an intimate sushi bar where the sushi floats out on small boats in a flowing 'river'. Sashimi is ornately arranged in the shape of a rose. The seafood is purchased fresh daily from the early morning fish market so in addition to tuna and salmon there are items like sea urchin fresh or tempura style that take advantage of the incredible fresh range of seafood in the Philippines.

Be sure to try the Fire Cracker Edamame, a spicy version of boiled soy beans, the squid with green beans, the Australian pan fried beef and the shrimp or the sea urchin tempura. Wash it down with sparkling saki.

The background music was cool and fits with the Zen interior. We were the last to leave, a great evening.

Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

Out from work and it was early lunch time, my colleague and I were walking along 31st St and we passed by a menu stand outside the Rose. Curious about the list we stopped and glance on it- Yes! Japanese food, a bit hesitant tho coz there isn't really a decent Japanese restaurant I've been to here in Manila- that's just for me if course. A guy came out and told us to try it saying food is great and walked away. So we got in and saw floating boats of sushi and maki circling the center aisle of the restaurant bar. With the pretty enticing parade of food we ordered our delicious Salmon Rose Bento and got to taste different maki flavors. While eating the same guy who went out earlier came back and had a short chitchat with us now saying 'with full disclosure, I'm the manager'. We got a chance to meet Adam who graciously made us try his very own 'Adam's Ice Cream' and the taste? Simply the best, delicious Japanese Food in the Metro! Highly recommended.

4  Thank eldrigemichael
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Was looking to sample good sushi in Manila & looking at reviews on TA, this seemed like the place to go. 3 of us had Happy Hour Sushi (P25), Firecracker Edamame (P180), Triple Mushroom Miso Soup (P150), Salmon Sushi (P160), Cheese Salmon Sushi (P180), Tamari Sushi Trio (P120) & downed them all with chilled Taru Sake (P1000).
The edamame was AWESOME! If you're here you must try it. Instead of boiled plain edamame, the peas were flavoured with a savoury spicy sauce. The sushi were very beautifully done & it was obvious a lot of care was put into making the individual pieces look presentable. They were generous with the toppings & the rice was flavoured just about right with hints of vinegar. Nitpicking, I did feel that the rice might have been compacted a little bit too hard for the Sushi Trio. Also, they could have been more generous with the wasabi which were only specks on the saucer. I asked for some more & was given even more specks. hahaha~~~
I really enjoyed the environment in the sushi bar & how genuinely friendly the waiters were. Justin took good care of us & attended to our every need & requests. He even took our pictures from all sorts of angles. We chatted in a very relaxed manner & had a really good time together. An older waiter (unfortunately I could not remember his name) entertained us by telling stories about the restaurant & about his travels.
We also tried their homemade ice cream for dessert: Dessert Blue Cheese (P150), Ambassador (P150) & Chocolate Flame (P125). They were great except the Choco Flame. It tasted sweet at first & then the heat sets in. Very unique but it was not my cup of tea.
All in all, kudos to the owner for creating such a friendly environment for people to unwind after work. However, I do feel that there needs to be more variety of sushi during happy hour. We had the same 2 types of sushi before our orders came. We went there on a weekday so that might have had an influence on the variety.
At their prices, I'd expect a high level of sophistication & quality from the sushi so it would be great if they could add a sushi barge to the menu where there were samples of their best sushi / tempura / sashimi & such. Finally, I hope they come up with a picture menu too.

4  Thank JarodYJK
Reviewed 12 May 2012

My daughter and I celebrated Mother's Day one day ahead. We had dinner at Rose. I found this restaurant one day by accident when I had to meet with a friend at the Fort. They have happy hour from Mon-Fri. Anything in the sushi boats cost P25.00/dish. I was surprised that the sushi is good. We were just happy getting from the boats. We were so full we did not anymore order any entree. We skipped that and went straight to dessert. The waiter suggested their best seller - ice cream!!! Ice cream in a Japanese restaurant? We gave it a try. And we ended up ordering another round of ice cream - different flavor. So good. I came back again with the same friend and we did the same menu. Sushi and Ice Cream. My daughter asked me where I wanted to eat since it's my day. I chose this place and we had sushi and ice cream. The uni tempura is good too. She loved it. We are coming back. It's the Fort's best kept secret. The waiters are great too. One of my favorite restaurants.....

1  Thank bossrose