“Fantastic!”
Review of Kuala Lumpur

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Zurich, Switzerland
40 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 15 November 2008

We stayed in China Town, and just had a fab stay.
Kuala Lumpur is easy to get around. The transport options are various, taxi, mono rail, bus & train, all in walking distance.
China town is great to get some bargains, and the food of the foodstalls is so nice.
We visited the Batu Caves, an Hindu place of worship. We saved a lot of money by taken the local bus, which gives you also a better feel of how people live.
The Petronas Towers by night are worth a visit. Just magical to see the front of the building. After something to eat in the foodcourt on the first floor, we went to the otherside (park side) and sat at the water fountains with the lit up Petronas towers on the background, amazing.
In the morning we sat in the row for a ticket to visit the towers, and we were on time to go with the second lot of visitors. We viewed a film about Petronas, and than we visit the 41st floor skybridge, which was amazing!!! Great views and even greater views!
We walked around the orchid garden, which was gorgous.
KL is worth a visit!

4 Thank travelgrumpy
Greater Noida
1 helpful vote
“NIce Place”
Reviewed 8 November 2008

This is a nice place to be with some of the finest creations in world present there ..
the Greatest place is Genting Highlands, which mainly has a theme park which is extremely nice...

1 Thank Jack_Finney
Rescue, California
19 helpful votes
“Interesting city”
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I stayed with my online friend at her home. We'd never met in person, but I liked her right away. We went to the west coast of Malaysia--not as far north as Penang, to a resort called Swiss something I can't remember now. We stayed in the apartments, not in the hotel. My friend acted as if we were going to the biggest vacation spot in Malaysia, so I guess I expected a lot. The apartments were like condos, but not very nice ones. The paint was chipping, the furniture was wearing, there were no kitchen necessities like plates, utensils, dish towels, etc. I don't think AAA would give it one star at all.

I thought the city of Kuala Lumpur was dirty. There was lots of litter all over and the sidewalks had broken cement pieces everywhere I went. Even the tourist spots such as the Batu Caves weren't kept up with cleaning and painting.

I went to the butterfly gardens, and the orchid gardens. They were very poor in quality compared to the US and Singapore. The butterfly exhibit at the Salt Lake City Zoo was far superior. And the orchid gardens was inferior to the ones in the botanical gardens of Singapore.

I felt uncomfortable as an American woman in KL. It was very hot and humid and I wore shorts in the day and light weight skirts in the evenings. I don't think I saw one other woman in a pair of shorts the whole time I was there. They dress there like we dress in the middle of winter.

My friend had to teach four of the days I was there so I was on my own. I didn't feel safe on the public transportation nor walking, so I hired a taxi driver for wherever I wanted to go. Since my friend knew the taxi driver he gave me good rates.

The very positive part of KL was the ringett to the US dollar. I did some great shopping and got very good deals.

I had read that Malaysia was a third world country and I think that was a good description. I'm glad I visited once, but it isn't a place I'd like to go again.

1 Thank alohacjm
Sydney
113 helpful votes
“Transport - KLIA and LCC Terminal”
Reviewed 11 July 2008

There are two airports in KL, so it pays to check your airline ticket to be sure of where you're headed.
KLIA is where you will land, unless you are on an Air Asia flight, in which case you will land at the LCC Terminal.
If you are enroute someplace else, spend the night at the Pan Pacific hotel and check the hotel's website for deals.
You can catch a bus for peanuts between KLIA and the LCC Terminal. The distance is around 18kms, departures are every 15 mins or so, and you should allow upto 30 mins.
From the LCC Terminal to KL, the Skybus will whisk you to KL Sentral for only a few $. On arrival at KL Sentral you will be asked where you are headed. I was directed and soon caught a public bus to my hotel that stopped right by my hotel.
On leaving KL, I used the railway from Bukit Bintang to KL Sentral and then caught the rapid train. This was much more expensive, around 4X the price, and proved a hassle. Up 100 steps or more all up, crowds, and a long walk from the railway station to the rapid train entrance, and unclear signage. Ok with one bag, but watch for pickpockets, impossible if you have more luggage.
The bus might take a few minutes longer, but I think it to be preferable.

4 Thank GoannaSydney
Singapore, Singapore
“My city”
Reviewed 28 March 2008

KL is the type of city where the first things that come to mind when you talking of doing anything is "eating" and "shopping", both of which are adequately covered by the Eat and Buy sections.

Those activities aside, KL has its fair share of sporting opportunities such as golfing, cycling, running, jogging and even equestrian. If you’re into rock climbing, the Batu Caves in Northern Kuala Lumpur is a popular weekend haunt of those wanting to scale some heights. However, for anything more strenuous and challenging, you’re better of heading to other spots in country.

Malaysia is trying to encourage greater cultural expression and KL has several good theatres and places for performances, such as the National Theatre (Istana Budaya) and KL Performing Arts Centre (KLPac) in the northern part of he city, the KL Philharmonic in KLCC, and the Actors Studio in Bangsar.

You can also get a good dosage of pampering in KL. For those in search of spas, there are several five-star hotel-connected as well as independent treatment centers in the Golden Triangle. You’ll also find heaps of reflexology and foot massage places everywhere but especially in Bukit Bintang in the Golden Triangle and Chinatown.

Of course, you can always immerse yourself at The Sampuoton Fish Spa the first fish therapy designer concept spa in Malaysia. A unique trait that sets it apart from the rest, the highly-priced Garra Rufa fishes from Turkey found at the Sampuoton Spa are known to rejuvenate and relax the soul while providing great beautification benefits for your whole body.

Been to Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!