New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“I would recommend this hostel to other backpackers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Serai Inn

Serai Inn
London
“I would recommend this hostel to other backpackers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2010

Nice, clean hostel with very friendly, helpful and informative staff. Our double room was very small, as you’d expect, but the corridors were light and airy and the common room on the top floor was pleasant and spacious. I really liked the location which was slightly further out of Chinatown than most of the other hostels, but within easy walking distance of Chinatown, Little India and the central bus station. I would recommend this hostel to other backpackers.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmmaM2006
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

The management/staff of this hostel don't seem to have any idea what a backpacker requires in a hostel. I arrived around 4pm with a 18kg pack and even though there is an elevator in this building, it was, as is usual in Asia and India, not operating! OK so up the stairs to be greeted offhandedly by a distracted female who proceeded to ask me to take a seat-what with a huge backpack on my back?Why not just show me to my room and ask me to return to the front desk in 5 mins? This morning an Irish couple arrived and were kept waiting while the same manager asked them to wait until she was ready to allocate them a room. Rude and insensitive welcome to tired travellers with lots of luggage!

The single room (no. 3) I was given was so tiny, facing the street, with an orange light on all night! I would have been better off going to KLIA & sleeping there for the amount of sleep I got -all for the extra high price of 45 ringit! Way too pricey ! The same staff member was still chatting on to another staff member at 11.30 pm when I asked them to please keep quiet. The aircond was freezing, no fan supplied but plenty of mosquitoes.

The guest room to bathroom/toilet ratio on level 2 is a joke. There are 8 rooms and one shower/toilet. I was told I could use the bathrooms on the next level if I needed to go to the toilet! There was no toilet paper in 2 of the bathrooms on the next level and the manager just said he hadn't had time to replace them!

Internet is 4ringit per hour-double the cost of the hostel opposite.

The crunch was when a woman knocked on my door at 8am and asked me if I'd left my plate and coffee cup unwashed in the sink. I said I knew the correct procedure and no it wasn't me!

This hostel is run by a silly greedy people who do not care a hoot about their guest's comfort. Hospitality is non-existent!

I usually stay at Tune Hotel but decided to try somewhere else. Bad mistake!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Staff attitude and limited toilet facilities, tiny rooms with outside street lighting shining in all night!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lyndy23
Lemongrass168, Owner at Serai Inn, responded to this review, 23 November 2008
As the owner of Serai Inn, I am writing this in response to Miss Lyndy’s review in order to give a fair picture of my hostel.

First of all, the lift was disabled due to security reasons. We are not the sole tenant of the building. The ground and 1st floor belong to other tenants. Disabling the lift prevents people from the ground and 1st floor from entering Serai Inn (which is located at the 2nd – 5th floor), bypassing our reception. This is an added security measure.

When my staff greeted Miss Lyndy’s ‘please take a seat’, obviously she expected Miss Lyndy would put down her luggage first and then take a seat. Clearly everybody knows you could not sit with a huge backpack on your back.

Around the world, it is a common procedure that a guest should register her/himself, before proceeding to the room. Furthermore, how can we tell that your backpack actually weighing 18kg? If you had asked us to bring you to the room and put down your luggage first, we would have done that. There is no problem for that at all.

MYR45 for a single room with an individual air-cond is a reasonable price. You could compare the prices of the hostels in Kuala Lumpur through many hostel reservation sites. It is very transparent.

My staff was actually assisting a female guest from Singapore (whom you mistakenly thought was another staff) at 11.30p.m. and they were talking in a very soft tone.

About the freezing air-cond, you had a remote control in your hand and it is you who set the temperature. We would be more than happy to show you how to use the remote control if you did not know how to use it. Furthermore, mosquitoes function best at 80 F, and become lethargic at 60 F. It does not make sense you were bitten by plenty of mosquitoes when the air-cond was freezing.

As you are well aware, there are 4 toilets/bathrooms EACH at the 3rd and 4th floors. Overall, the guest room to bathroom/toilet ratio is 2:1. This is well above the recommended standard in the hostel industry. About the toilet paper, I remember I apologized to you when you complained about it, and immediately replaced it. Actually we check on the toilet papers regularly, unfortunately the above incident happened very early in the morning before I could check on it.

You were one of the guests who woke up early on that day. Therefore, when my staff found that there were unwashed plates and cups on the desk, she just dutifully checked with you, the same she did with other guests. Just to ensure the cleanliness of the hostel is maintained. No offense to you.

Last but not least, the Irish couple whom you mentioned actually left a very good comment on Serai Inn at a well established hostel reservation website, rated 93%. The same couple (harygarford) had written 21 hostel reviews and I think he has given a fair comment on us.

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

dhaka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2008

This hostel is indeed perfect for backpackers and an excellent value. Rooms are tiny but clean and friendly. Security is very good, location is central, close to important things and yet very quiet. Also, they have a very nice and friendly hang out place. I was a bit concerned initially about sharing the bathroom facilities, but as I was saying--very clean. This was much better then paying more to have a bathroom in the room, but the whole place to be filthy....

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing in particular
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2008

A newly established hostel with warm Malaysian hospitality. Staff are sincere, helpful and friendly. The owners are a couple who have been travelling extensively around the world and they are very knowledgable and attentive. Overall, Serai is an excellent place for backpackers and she made me feel at home. I would definitely come back here again.

• Liked — Homely atmosphere, extensive local knowledge, cleanliness and security
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo