“Not terrible, not great”

Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #177 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Australia
“Not terrible, not great”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The hotel was ok - not the worst I've seen. The process at check-in was very confusing. I had pre-booked online so the hotel had my credit card details, although the card was not charged at that stage. On check-in the reception staff presented me with a bill for the four nights we were booked for. I suggested that it was unusual to pay in full on check-in, but was told that that was their policy. He then told me that he would 'also' be charging 700RM to my card as a deposit. When questioned about why I would be charged an additional 700RM on top of the 644RM, especially when paying for the room in advance instead of at check-out, his responses were along the lines of that being standard procedure in Malaysia. Eventually he said that it was in case we had anything from the mini bar. I couldn't imagine how much we would have to take from the mini bar to total 700RM, but when another reception agent told me that it wasn't a charge of 700RM but just a pre-authorization, it seemed slightly more acceptable. I was then presented with my credit card slip - just one - for 700RM. I asked where the other slip for the 644RM was, and was told that there is only the 700RM charge. So, what could have been explained much more simply was that on check-in, guests' credit cards will be pre-authorized for the full amount of their booking, plus a small additional amount to cover any mini-bar charges. On check-out, this pre-authorization will be disregarded, and the card swiped again for the actual amount to be charged.

The photos on the website are very misleading - previous reviews that have described the hotel as tired are accurate. Our non-smoking floor stank of stale (and sometimes fresh) cigarette smoke. Our club room overlooked the train track - we were told that there were no rooms available on the other side of the hotel for the duration of our four night stay. Our rate apparently included a welcome drink, but we were not offered one. When I enquired about it with reception I was told to go to the club lounge, which was available to us anyway, so the welcome drink is nothing extra. Our reservation also included a fruit plate. This too was not offered, and when I asked about it was told that it would be delivered to our room that night. When we returned to the room later that day we were met with a plastic wrapped side plate containing one whole green apple, one whole red apple, and one whole orange. They really could do better than that.

The room was clean enough, although there was a collection of hair (not ours, and even if it was it should have been cleaned daily) behind the bathroom door, and when we pushed our twin beds apart to go to sleep on the first night (they were joined side to side when we checked in) the carpet in between was very dirty. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The hairdryer is hidden in a drawer in the room - not in the bathroom.

The pool area is not very attractive and not staffed - we had to phone housekeeping and wait a long while before some towels were brought up for us. There is also an unclear system involving signing a receipt for the towels, but no way of having them checked off when they are returned. When we asked we were met with a look of incomprehension and told just to put them in the towel basket near the pool. We were not able to find out what we would be charged should the towels not be registered as returned, which we had no way of doing as the pool area is not staffed.

Breakfast is ok but the choice of fresh fruit never varied on any our four mornings (watermelon and honeydew melon only), and the hot selection is a bit uninspired.

The location is quite good - close to the train station and only about 6RM for a taxi back from Bukit Bintang. Be careful if they hotel hails a taxi for you when you are leaving the hotel - our driver started his meter at 6RM - the standard is 3RM.

Overall the hotel was ok, but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank madammac
DirOfRevenue, Director of Revenue at Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 24 April 2012

Greetings from Citrus Hotel!

We hope this finds you well. We were concerned to learn that your stay with us was neither a comfortable nor desirable one.

With regards to the check in process, the receptionist has to verify the credit card or collect in cash the room rate and a certain amount of deposit per night. The deposit is used to cover potential damage, theft, mini bar consumption, room service, telephone usage etc. The staff should have explained the matter more clearly. We shall be looking into and re-emphasizing this matter during their training sessions.

Your comment on the smoke smell is valid. We have already installed fresheners so perhaps the issue has to be revisited. A welcome drink coupon should have been issued upon check in. The fruit platter can be improved, point noted and taken. The cleanliness issue shall be reported to the House Keeper. The carpet and hair is certainly unacceptable. We are glad that you enjoyed the beds and the pillows leading to a good nights rest. We try to place the basic amenities in the room such as the hair dryer as accurately mentioned.

We are in the process of improving the pool service and your comments are well heeded. The fresh fruit usually inter changes with the melon family and papaya as well. Perhaps those were the freshest fruit for consumption. The location is accessible. I would like to clarify that the normal taxis start at RM 3 and the hotel taxi’s start at RM 6 as they are Executive blue ones.
Once again, Citrus Hotel genuinely thanks you for your involvement in supporting us to grow from strength to strength. We hope that you would welcome our invitation so as to evaluate us once more on another occasion. We await your return as our esteemed guest on your next trip.

Thank you.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The best thing about this place is its price.
Beyond that everything is mediocre to poor.
The worst thing is the peeling, staining walls in the corridor.
The second worse is the quality of the fittings in the rooms, esp. with the flush.
The 3rd worse thing is the location. While not a complete write off ie close to monorail, its location in almost a backlane means caution when walking back at night.

With the poor impression of the room, corridor and furnishings, I abandoned any ideas of visiting the pool or fitness room, would depress me further.

Service was pretty good and staff is helpful and made the best of things beyond their control.

So my advice is that stay here if u r on a budget n require a pool and free brekky. Just dont expect anything great.

3 Thank shazam7

Greetings from Citrus Hotel!

We hope this finds you well. We were concerned to discover that your stay with us was not a comfortable one.

The positives that we can take away from your comments are the price and service of the staff. The hotel does have different classification of rooms. We have rectified the higher floors and are commencing on the lower floors at the next possible availability. We shall not deny that all the comments are inaccurate. We await your feedback so we can improve further. Honesty is the best policy to our guests.

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Ernakulam, Kerala, India
Reviewed 18 April 2012

After reading a lot of negative comments in this site we were very pleasantly surprised with the service and quality of this hotel. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and neat and clean. The bathroom was also clean and functional, and the service was very prompt. There were 4 of us in our room - myself, my husband and two kids aged 16 and 11.So they gave us a triple sharing room with extra bed. We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The buffet breakfast was okay, but the vegetarians will find this tough - even though if u are okay with eggs, u can have a full breakfast. Otherwise u will have to make do with toast, butter and jam or parathas and dal. But the parathas were too oily and a bit sweet for my liking.

Greetings from Citrus Hotel!

We hope this finds you well. We are glad that your stay with us was a pleasant one.

We are delighted that you had opted to stay with us despite the negative comments. We are glad that you found the service and the quality of the hotel to be acceptable. We shall be certain to share your comments on the vegetarian aspect of the breakfast with our chef for his improvements.

Once again, Citrus Hotel genuinely thanks you for your involvement in supporting us to grow from strength to strength. We await your return as our esteemed guest on your next trip.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Citrus may have been good once upon a time, but now it needs an revamp immediately. All the electric and bathroom fittings needs to be changed, breakfast was average. The only good thing we found was the staff as they were very friendly and helpful otherwise the hotel is average/below average.

2 Thank Goths

Greetings from Citrus Hotel!

We hope this finds you well. We have learnt that your stay with us was an average one.

The refurbishment process has commenced with the hotel taking a top down approach so currently, the lower floors are looking tiresome. The staffs’ factor on them being friendly and helpful will certainly spur them so as to do even better.

Chicago
Reviewed 14 April 2012

As I was checking out, the guy at the front desk told me to make sure that I wrote a review on TripAdvisor; then they hit me with the bill. I'd initially rented for a 19 day stay at the Citrus Hotel via Priceline.com/Booking Buddy. I ended up checking out early after 12 days. Listed amenities included Club Level Executive Room with flat screen tv & dvd player, free breakfast buffet & wifi. The confirmation letter also specifically stated that privileges included free snacks and drinks. I will come out and say that my stay was mediocre and that if given the choice I would have stayed elsewhere. I felt so bad about the generally good review I'd given the hotel on their internal room survey after being blindsided with the minibar charges applied to the bill. With a smile, they told me that the snacks and drinks from the minibar in the room were chargeable and not free. This was a great value until the minibar charges were tacked on. The free stuff was only free if used in the 10th floor Exec lounge only; but not drinks and snacks from out of the room's minibar.

My room was supposed to be a Club Floor room. After looking at another room on a lower floor, size and amenities seemed no different from rooms on other floors. I had to request a dvd player be brought to the room. Unfortunately the electrical plug would not reach to allow both the tv and dvd to both be plugged in. A guy came into the room and spliced the cords into one and plugged them into the wall together. Unfortunately, the dvd player was "balky" and played only a few of the dvd's I'd brought along. The wifi was down the first day but was back up the second day through the balance of my twelve day stay.The speed was adequate for most browsing. I was even able to do a work webinar from the US with no problems. I didn't try skype. In room telephone service was not working the last two days I was there. The only time I actually needed it to call the airport to check on my fllght, the phones were down. I made five calls and every time I was told phones would be back up in 10 minutes or that they would call me when they were back on. On my 6th call a woman at the front desk told me to come down and use their phones which also didn't work. She then did offer me money to make the call from a nearby payphone. The room was ok. It did not offer the view of the Petronas Towers which were on the other side of the hotel. It did offer a view of the trams. The problem with that is that you also get the sounds of the tram. So from 6 am to midnite the rooms would shake with the sounds of the passing trams. My last gripe about the hotel is the buffet style breakfast. It was a great starter. The problem is that the hygiene is horrible. The staff I'm sure does their best. The problem is the guests. There are people from all over the world in this hotel. Some of their eating habits may not agree with Western standards. I had to forego using the salt and pepper because of the guests who would reach their fingers into the containers to take a pinch for their food. It was also not pleasant to see people pick over the fruit that was most reliable parts of the breakfast offering. Seeing people routinely eating at the buffet was a turnoff. Also get there early because the pickings get slim when the crowd swells. JJ Spa on the 1st floor was a pleasant surprise. The price for a massage, sauna, Jacuzzi combo at about $35 is a bargain.

The workout room would be good if they had any working machines. They did have a rack of fre weights so that would be your only real option because the treadmills were inoperable and cable weight machines unreliable. The waitstaff and security of the hotel was also fine. The area is fine, just make sure that you tell your return taxis that your hotel is located in the Chow Kit area, otherwise they may play dumb and lost to get more fare.

I did call Priceline about the $150 in minibar charges. I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Trisync2012
DirOfRevenue, Director of Revenue at Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 26 April 2012

Greetings from Citrus Hotel!

We hope this finds you well. We were concerned to learn of your unsatisfactory stay with us at Citrus Hotel.

With regards to the complimentary snacks and beverages, it is only intended for the Executive Lounge and not the room mini bar. For clarity purposes, we shall get in touch with the website via which the booking was carried out so as to ensure that the miscommunication in information is not repeated in the future. Our Front Desk Manager has been in touch with your good self and the booking web site to iron out and resolve this issue. We can understand your frustration but neither has the hotel advertised inaccurate information nor has there been intention to mislead. It is truly a case of miscommunication.

To clarify further, what the Club Room offers which differs itself from the other categories is its access to the Executive Lounge, its 2 pieces of Complimentary ironing per day and its LCD screen.

As accurately mentioned, we do have a variety of clientele worldwide. So during breakfast it can get crowded and at times the food has to be refilled. We are glad that you felt the Spa was a worthy bargain.