“A bit dingy but worth it if you're going to the Lake Gardens”
Review of Deer Park

and up
Private Half-Day National Botanic Garden Cycling Tour from Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #269 of 299 things to do in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I love deer and when I saw the park was free I thought I would give it a go. It is located in the Lake Gardens (10RM taxi from KLCC) and just a few minutes walk from the big Bird Park there.

There were maybe 20 deer in a reasonable sized enclosure with shaded areas for them and us to escape the heat. It was such a hot day the deer weren't moving around much.

There are also monkeys roaming around, we got some great footage of a couple of them swimming in the creek.

The mouse deer are in separate, smaller cages like a zoo. They look a bit like rats. I was a bit disappointed as I had hoped they would be running free too.

Overall I wouldn't bother going just for the deer park but it is free so it's definitely worth stopping by on a day out to the Lake Gardens.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

We visited the Deer Park on our last visit to KL in September last year however we were extremely rushed at that time and only really had time to visit the Sun bear, so this time we made sure we had more time here.

The kids got to feed the deer and have their photo taken with a snake (there were two different varieties), they got to see a small white porcupine, varieties of birds, Ferrets, and Bengal cats. Unfortunately the beautiful sun bear that was there on our last visit was no longer there, it had been moved the week before we got there.

The kids enjoyed the park which was the main thing, however I would have like to have seen a few more animals, and I think the park also needs a bit of an upgrade. I must admit though that when we were there last time the toilets were not very nice, but happy to report that this time there were of a much higher standard.

Still an enjoyable day was had by all

Reviewed 27 February 2011

We visited on a recommendation from a friend. We were lucky the main caretaker was there to speak with us and we learned a lot about animal husbandry and habits. While the place is not perfect, we could tell that the caretakers were sincerely trying their best. Considering that the owners set it up to help animals that strayed into human settlements or were injured in road accidents or saved from Chinese cooking pots AND they receive no help from the government, it should be commended.

1  Thank DrKChester
Reviewed 20 February 2011

This park has definitely seen better days. The main deer enclosure needs repairs and so do the near by visitor resting areas. Some of the deer looked like they were sick and/or injured. The other attraction in the park in the tiny mouse deer, which being a nocturnal animal means almost no action. This park in only worth a visit if you are going between the Lake Gardens and the Orchid and Hibiscus Gardens. I approached from the Orchid Garden and found the entrance at the top of the hill was closed, so I had to walk all the way around to the main entrance. It should take you less than 15 minutes to see everything in the park. The most interesting part of the park for me was the goat enclosure, which isn't actually viewable from inside the park.

Reviewed 12 August 2010

We visited as part of a tour to the Elephant Sanctuary, Batu Caves etc. They obvioulsy have little money, as the standard of enclosures and facilities are very poor. The bears were kept in small cages, but it may appear that they are trying to better themselves. Still worth a look for the experience, but we would happily have paid double the price if the facilities were improved. If you are going out to other places nearby, then call in, but don't organise a trip out there specially. It would not be worth it.

1  Thank JJ-4350