“Disappointed”

Ranked #62 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Brisbane QLD
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at the Berjaya Times Square with my 10 year old son on the recommendation of a fellow travel consultant. My first impression of the lobby area was excellent a view shared of the pool area and floors. Unfortunately we encountered a number of issues that would prevent me from recommending the Berjaya to my clients.
Firstly on check-in I was asked if I preferred one bed or separate beds. Considering my booking was for myself and my son as noted on my confirmation and again in a follow up email (where I also requested a non-smoking room) I found this a ridiculous question, it also seemed that a room hadn't been allocated as it took quite some time for them reception to work this out. When we did get to the room it was obviously a smoking room from the stench we encountered when I open the door, even though I had requested non-smoking. We were moved to another room 3 hours later (which was fine as we were given use of the other room until then). Here is where I have some major issues. My son was in the shower and screamed for me to coming in. When I did I was presented with a wad of black hair big enough to cover my palm that had been sitting where I would say the shower glass and tiles meet. This was so disgusting that I advised reception and took the offending hair with me. On closer inspection there were long black hairs also still stuck to the shower tiles and a fair amount of mould. To cut a long story short we were moved to another room the next day ( after getting a call at 10pm to ask if they could come and clean the shower) which was a godsend because as it was the room we had was 1 room away from the air-con condenser which clanked like an old steam train all night keeping us both awake.
I do not want to come across as a whining reviewer as this is probably the only negative review I have ever given to a hotel but cleanliness is something that any hotel regardless of star rating should get right (see photos). Yes they offered to clean it but the shower should not have got to the state it was in if housekeeping were doing their job. Fores and against.......
Staff - very friendly, access to Times Square - very easy from the lobby, security - very good, beds - so hard my hips hurt, studio room - quirky layout with the little kitchen area and huge bathroom with separate toilet and vanity area but leaving such little room where the bed is you need to swing your legs out of bed sideways. Definitely not 5 star compared to others I have stayed at in KL....maybe 3.5 - 4? A lot of mucking around that spoilt our 2 night stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jodster
AdrianChung, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your comments on your recent stay in Berjaya Times Square Service Suites is most alarming and regrettable.

Your kind comment is truly appreciated and it encourages us to improve our services. I have shared your feedback with my team from Front Office and Housekeeping department as I’m sure we will try our very best to handle these shortcomings in future.

Rest assured that we take your dissatisfaction very seriously. The complaints that you’ve mentioned have been brought to the attention of the respective departments and corrective measures have been taken.

Once again, thank you for staying with us at the Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur. I look forward to be of service to you again in the near future.

Berjaya Times Square Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Mumbai
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Was in KL for my second honeymoon and decided to stay in Berjaya Times Square and boy was i right!!! The hotel Is right in the heart of the city with everything you need within vicinity. Got it's own shopping mall with indoor theme park. The rooms are VERY spacious and VERY clean, The view from the hotel gives you a top of the world feeling!! gives you a panoramic view of the city!! the staff was very very friendly. The breakfast had wide variety (including the Indian delicacies). The best part was the bar / lounge in the hotel that we stumbled upon late during the night Knowing that we were Indians, the performers sang a HINDI song specially for us. It was really touchy to know non-indian band singing a Hindi song soo flawlessly.
All in all, the entire stay was wonderful!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Arif H
AdrianChung, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for writing to us. We are certainly glad to know that your stay of second honeymoon with Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur was a delightful one.

It is always our pleasure to ensure that you enjoyed throughout your stay in Kuala Lumpur. I am sure you had fun time out from the bargaining in our Berjaya Times Square Mall, alongside the adventurous indoor theme park and eateries around. Your kind comments during your last stay will certainly motivate our team members to strive for a higher level of service standard.

On behalf of the team, I would like to extend my heartiest appreciation for choosing us as your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I look forward to be of service to you again in your next annual visit.

Perth WA
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel is right in the centre of kuala lumpar and great value for money. Close to all main shopping centres and right on the imbi monorail station. The central business district is close by and taxis are very affordable. The hotel has a large buffet style restaurant and is fair for breakfast, as like most hotels in KL it is halal so don't expect bacon or pork produce for breakfast . The eggs are good and the variety of food is well presented and cooked.
The coffee is not so great!!!
The rooms are very comfortable and the shower always hot. The beds are comfortable we had a superior room on the 20 th floor (20-01). It over looked the old KL padu prison nd the monorail stations past imbi. The traffic was not a problem and not at all noisy considering we were in the middle of the city.. The bar is quite expensive and the Decor a little outdated but did have a large tv to watch the F1 GP. Check in and check out was easy and quick. Rooms have intervidual airconditioners. Maid service was quick and alway neat and tidy. Overall a good hotel would stay again.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room rather than a superior as it is larger and on the pool side of the hotel. Book d...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
AdrianChung, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for writing to us. We are certainly glad to know that your stay with Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur was a delightful one. Your comments during your last stay will certainly boost the level of team member's motivation in achieving higher service standard.

On behalf of the team, I would like to extend my heartiest appreciation for choosing us as your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I look forward to be of service to you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Wow this hotel really impressed me!
Great location, great rooms and great value
Best of all amazing staff who never were too busy to be friendly, kind and helpful.
We stayed for a week over the Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend and the hotel was busy for the duration but the buffet breakfast was still great and full of good food. The hotel pool had perfect layout for finding space even when there were lots of groups having a dip. This was our first overseas trip with our son and the room worked well as we could shut the bedroom door and let him sleep while we relaxed after a day of sightseeing.

Each time we needed the concierge they had good info and the security staff were helpful with doors whenever we had our arms full and made an effort to pay attention.

I also used the hotel Spa and though more expensive than other places the staff spoke great English and the spa was clean, tidy and spacious and having an evening treatment was wonderful.

I would stay here again happily and if ever in KL I recommend you do the same.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
AdrianChung, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur’s staff and management, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for selecting our hotel as your hospitality destination.

It was truly a pleasure to have had you with us during the weekend of F1 Malayia GP 2012 and I am glad that you had a pleasant experience from our staff as reflected by our true Malaysian Hospitality.

Looking forward to serve you again in the near future.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My family and I stayed in this hotel. When we got there, they upgraded us to a suite, with a view of the Petronas Towers which was amazing. I would recommend this hotel because their service is good, the rooms are clean, the buffet breakfast is good and its fairly near to the shopping districts. The hotel has an access door to the shopping mall adjacent to it, thou the mall is kind of old. But still accessible for all your shopping and food.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family