“Federal Hotel was really great” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Federal Hotel

Federal Hotel
Ranked #78 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Hastings, New Zealand
“Federal Hotel was really great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We spent several nights here as stopovers to and from Europe. Sure it is the oldest hotel in K.L. but is was well decorated and reasonably clean. We had two disturbed nights with outside noise but when approached, management was only too pleased to give us a better (and larger) room.
What impressed us most was the friendly staff at the main restaurant who went out of their way to make sure we were well looked after. I had no problem with my gluten-free diet as there was such a great range of foodstuffs available. Even offered discounts on meals for us as room-renters!
Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in Dec 2011. Initially, we had booked a standard room. When checking in, we have told the counter to put us in a quiet room. The lady was very kind and upgraded us to a bigger room. However, the room was not quiet. The beds are placed on the same wall as the corridor. Meaning, the corridor and our beds are just separated by a wall. And we could hear clearly the other guests closing their doors, running along the corridors and talking aloud. The beds are comfortable but the furnitures and room are old. The room looked like the decoration in the 80s. And the room is freezing cold . The aircon could not be adjusted. And my partner and I ended up sealing up the aircon with newspaper and scotch tape. After we had sealed up the aircon, the room is still cold as the aircon from the corridor seeps into the room through the door gaps and we had to seal up the gaps. I am not exaggerating as my partner whom has high threshold for low temperature is also freezing.. The hotel is located near to an IT mall and Sungei Wang. It is also surrounded by night spot. There is a row of street food nearby which sells delicious and cheap food. I probably would not stay there again unless the hotel renovate their rooms.

• Stayed December 2011
Aus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

What a letdown.
Walking into the hotel we were overwhelmed with a spectacular entrance.
This however quickly changed when we walked into our rooms.
Out dated small rooms that smelt of smoke.
When I asked to changed room I was given to key to another room this was even smaller a had a great view of a brick wall.
I was then offered a room that only hand a king size bed.
Seem I was sharing with my father didn’t really think it would suit us.
It was only after nearly an hour later they said we do have a family room but it has 3 beds in it.
We took this room which had the worst beds I have ever slept in.
My back is still sore 5 days later.
I asked what the hotel would do to make up for such an inconvenience and was told we had a better room and that was all they could do.
WOW the room was still not a very good room.
Staff did their job and that was as far as it went apart from the staff in the revolving restaurant who were very friendly and helpful.
For such a upper end restaurant this was very out dated with ripped carpet and old paint.
A bit of a refurb would sure bring it back up to its former glory.
The pool also very old and out date not poolside bar and very little if any shade while in the pool.
No shade at all over the kids pool.
All up a big let down for a hotel in such a great spot.
Shape up guys that’s all I can say.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

Good location with excellent staff, friendly and always smiling. But the quality of the property is dissapointing. We booked 2 rooms, when we checked in, in one of the rooms, the shower could not be turned on and the Telephone was out. When called, the room change was done and we were upgraded to a deluxe room. Nothing that great, still in one of the room, the TV was not working. Another matter which troubles me is the car park. The hotel does not have a car park and we need to park at the shopping mall parking, i was worried about my car getting stolen. Anyway we only stayed a night. Will not stay there again.

Stayed April 2012
Leiderdorp
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I dont really know where to start. On the good side, this hotel is reasonably clean and its so easy as everyone speaks good English. However, The staff are not very friendly and there see to be a lot of confusion at the reception. They gave us first the wrong room and later gave us a room which was already occupied. As much as I want to grade this higher, I think there are things that they can improve on, especially service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple