“Great People, Great Food, Fabulous Experience”

Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy
More attraction details
Owner description: What do you do when guests ask where the best place to eat is? Why, the best local food is always home cooked. Our Homegrown Tourist Cooking Classes will now be held every Tuesday and Wednesday. The Academy has two cooking slots: morning (10.00 am with lunch) and evening (5.00 pm with dinner). Guests who’d like to visit and experience shopping at the local market can opt for a morning session at 9:00 am. Show your guests the best in culinary hospitality; bring them home to Jen’s Homegrown Cooking Academy.
Airlie Beach, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great People, Great Food, Fabulous Experience”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I had such a fabulous time at Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy. I'm from the United States and this was my first cooking class. I met Jen and her family at Jen's Underground Supper Club (also great) and from there got a chance to join the cooking class. We learned how to prepare nasi lemak, a traditional Malaysian dish.

Jen, her husband Brabon and daughter Natasha conducted the class for me and one other guest. They were simply great. Before we started preparing the meal, Jen talked about the origins of the recipe, the culture, how you might find this dish served elsewhere, and why they prepare it in such a particular way.

We were given a brief walk-through on the different elements we would be preparing and introduced to all of the fresh ingredients we'd be using. We would be making rice with coconut cream, Brabon's famous "fast and furious" salad, baked turmeric chicken, and sambal, or "miracle sauce."

Jen, Brabon and Natasha took turns walking us step-by-step through each stage of the process, carefully explaining the methods their family has been using for years. Being my first time they were very patient with me, but I didn't feel like anything was "dummied down" either.

Once the meal was completed we sat down and enjoyed it together. Wow! What a treat. The nasi lemak was exquisite. Not only that, but the company was great as well. They were quite fun and we really felt like part of the family. As they say, "our fans become our friends and our friends become our fans."

Finally, Natasha also offered to email the recipes to us after the class, which was nice because I didn't have to worry about writing everything down while we were cooking.

Overall I just had a fantastic experience and I couldn't recommend Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy any higher. See for yourself, you won't be disappointed!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Christopher H
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

london uk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Amazing Time”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We spend an evening cooking with Jem and family. They were very hospitable and we learnt some amazing dishes.
The nasi lemak and accompaniments were great.
The best cooking experience we have had.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank devineelle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent, fun and soo tasty!”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy Review:

Coming from Australia to KL you soon realize (after tasting the local cuisine) that there is a great deal to learn about the art of cooking. So when my brother and I were presented with the opportunity to learn a traditional Malaysian dish we were rather excited. The dish my brother and I were to cook was Nasi Lemak, which we learnt meant (in the most literal terms) "Rice" & "Fat". So a rich tasting rice dish was in order (just my kind of dish).

The cooking process was unique, a blend of generic culinary lessons with a homely touch. Mommy, Daddy and Daughter all had their turn in teaching the inexperienced Aussies how to get through each phase of the process. Very much like the chapters in a book each person had a different side dish to teach. Nasi Lemak had its rice, its meats and then the various side dishes. One of the greatest parts of the lesson was learning the unique ways to make all the dishes. From the coconut rice to the turmeric chicken, there are techniques you learn that will stick with me for a very long time.

I would recommend anyone to have lessons and meals from Jen (and company) as the food and experiences I had with them have been some of the most profound in my life. The homely feel of the class and area are a great environment for fun and learning (and very very full tummies).

So if you have an oppurtunity to learn from Jen's Homegrown Cooking Academy don't pass it up. Cause you won't regret it, and if you are like me (a burden on the culinary front at home) your family and partner won't regret it either.

Alessandro Frosali