Somerset Ampang is a very new Hotel/Residence and so is in excellent condition. We stayed in an Executive apartment which was only a few dollars extra a night, we were on the 20th floor. The room was very clean and modern with excellent furnishings and amenities. TV in lounge and bedroom, great bathroom with nice bath and shower. The kitchen area was quite large and had everything you would need to cook a small meal for 2 or 3 people (I am sure they would send up more cutlery/crockery if you wanted it) There was a large fridge freezer and a washing machine as well. 2 bottles of complimentary water every day. Bed was large, a bit firm but had excellent linen and pillows. We asked for a cot for our 6 month baby and it was waiting for us in the bedroom. It was fitted out with all sorts of blankets/pillows/edging which we removed for SIDS reasons, but it was a nice thought.
All rooms have free wifi which worked well and the exec rooms have a seperate study witha desk and connections for laptops etc. We used this as our ironing room as you are also provided with an iron and board.
Views from our room were OK, the Petronas Towers are at the side of the hotel so cant be seen from the rooms, but go to the rooftop pool area and you get a good view of the top third of the towers. The pool area is very nice. Pool is outdoor and about 28 degrees. there is also a childs area with fountains and a 12 inch deep pool for little ones. A small gym with modern equipment and a nice lounge to relax in.
Staff were very helpful and polite. Check in/out was perfect and you can store luggage for later collection if you like. Breakfast was included in our rate and is served at the Souled Out restaurant next door. Breakfast is quite basic, but a good start to the day. There is an egg/omelet station, breads/pastries/salads/cereals and some hot dished which usually comprise a Malay dish and then things like beans, scrambled eggs, pancackes etc, there is also juice/tea/coffee.
Overall the hotel is great and the negatives are very minor and not the hotels fault:
1) If you dont have small children then walking to the Petronas towers or the nearby Ampang Park railway station is easy. The nearby intersection is a nightmare, the pedestrian crossing buttons never worked and you had to dash across 4 lanes of traffic taking your life in your hands, as is usual in many Asian countries, people drive like maniacs.
2) The pavements are terrible or non existant, sometimes there are trees in the middle of the pavement making you have to walk on the very busy road, loose pavers are everywhere and you really have to watch where you are going.
3) Noise from the road goes on well into the night, some vehicles clearly do not have exhausts and sometimes it sounds like a tank is passing the hotel and can be heard even from the 20th floor.
As previously stated this is not the hotels fault, but it does detract a little from the overall experience.
Getting about is OK, 15 mins walk to Petronas, 5 mins to train station. train costs between 1 and 2 RM to go anywhere and you can catch the train to most popular places, other than that taxis are relatively cheap, but make sure they use the meter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the prestigious Embassy Row, Somerset Ampang offers stylish accommodation and unrivalled city views of the Kuala Lumpur City Centre. Its prime location provides quick access to the city's business, shopping and entertainment district, marked by Jalan Ampang, JAlan Sultan Ismail and Jalan Tun Razak. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Ctrip TA so you can book your Somerset Ampang Kuala Lumpur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somerset Ampang Kuala Lumpur Hotel Kuala Lumpur