“Not bad for the Price”

Ranked #23 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Asia
“Not bad for the Price”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

What was "good" about this place:

(1) Big on room space. The room was spacious, had a "walk in" bathroom that has a wooden slide window that opens to the bed. Everything in the room was in working order, water pressure is good, heater works well even at night, when everyone is back in hotel.

(2) Furnishing was pretty good. Carpeted floor, bedroom with headboard, a lounge chair with leg rest, a writing desk with free wifi in the room, a TV console. I find TV was a little too small for a big room like this. Perhaps it's the difference in scale, but I find larger screen in other hotels of this class.

(3) Location was pretty good, just about 200-300 metres stroll to the Pavilion shopping centre. Although it was further than the Novotel, I felt the space provided was pretty large. I don't like small room, and Chulan provided me with the amount of space I preferred.

What was "ok" about this place:

(1) Breakfast was pretty alright, although it was nothing to shout about. I loved the omelette here. Spread wise, was alright, not modest, but not a huge spread too. A nice touch was Japanese corner serving sushi and cold noodles (sushi was a little dry though). Coffee and tea was flat and a little tasteless. If you like coffee, ask for cappucino/latte from the espresso machine; I find these more acceptable.

What was "not ok" about this place:

(1) Mosquitoes in my room. I had red marks on my body when I was there for 3 nights. I searched high and low for bed bugs, but found none, so I figured it wasn't bed bugs. So the next culprit is probably mosquitoes. So beware if you had mosquitoes in the room. The hotel should provide some mosquito spray for guests.

(2) Air-conditioning system was working well, but it was noisy - even at the lowest setting (low-med-high). The sound from the air-conditioning system was pretty loud. And I mean a constant humming type of sound that could potentially affect your sleep if you are a light sleeper. The hotel should really look into silencing the fans or the air-conditioner's parts.

(3) Bed was pretty hard (my friends' had pretty firm and hard bed), mine was ok, since I am a backache sufferer, firmer beds are ok for me. They complained of backache after sleeping on the hotel bed, so be warned.

(4) Visiting the gym, all 3 treadmills were squeaking when I ran on it. Also, the track on the treadmill actually slipped forward a little, before it ran in the normal direction every time I stepped or land my front feet on the track. This is very, very annoying. I ended up on the elliptical runner/trainer instead of the treadmill. The gym folks should look at the treadmill machine and tune it up. Water was provided though, which was a nice thing.

(5) The cock-tail drinks in the lobby were not up to par. I had better drinks in the Novotel hotel 300 metres away. The bartender really need to taste his own cocktail before serving to the customers. The lobby also had mosquitoes, although there were a couple of fly insects traps, not all mosquitoes were eliminated, so wear long e.g. pants if you want to be safe from the mosquitoes.

You may see more "no good" than "good" here, but overall experience was still alright to me because of the price I paid for. We had 2+1 night free, which was a pretty good offer. The hotel's infrastructure is probably still a 5-star, but edging on 4.5 stars. 1 card reader was not working in the lift. Burnt out bulbs on the walkways were not replaced in good time. I see some maintenance gaps here.

Service wise, it was a hit & miss thing. I felt the service staff need to smile more and greet more. This is a 5-star hotel after all. The extra star needs to be found in service quality, staff attitudes, and attention to details. Hence, I found the service/processes/attention to details was only a 4-star. I have been to business-class Courtyard Marriott, and believe me, the service was a notch higher than this so called 5 star hotel. So, I believe Royale Chulan needs to pull up the socks on this front.

In conclusion, will I stay here again? Maybe, for the room space. Will I recommend to friends? Unlikely, because of the lapses and shortcoming stated here. In the world of 5-star hotels, this does not match up in my opinion, but bearing in mind the lower price I paid, it was still reasonable place to stay if you want a near 5-star experience at lower prices.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ogenkidesu
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2012 via mobile

Try to book far enough in advance as to get the executive rooms with access to the Royale Club. It comes with wireless Internet access in room & throughout hotel, buffet breakfast, limited laundry (4 pieces/day), all day tea & coffee, afternoon tea, early evening cocktails/drinks. There are other services included. Best deal is by booking online directly with hotel. Thoughly recommend & they have been very helpful as I am vacationing with my child. 10 min easy walk to Pavillion Mall & 20 min walk to Petronas Twin Towers. Staff very friendly. It's been fun & we have enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank ExpatAussie3
luton
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I stayed here in one of their hotel suites. I forgot what type of suite it was. I love the sense of exclusivity and privacy of this hotel. Strangers can't easily get up to hotel rooms as the lift requires a key card. My suite was impressive, however I didn't really enjoy the view. It was facing another part of the hotel building which I found quite boring. Plus it was just a walking distance to the pavilion mall. so thumbs up for great location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank signi
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2012

The Royale Chulan is on the edge of the KL freeway system which means less chance of traffic. Trip from the airport is still almost an hour flat out. Save the hassle and buy a taxi voucher as you exit customs and the airport. This is a first class hotel but don't expect spectacular views of the Petronis Towers. Some rooms have partial views as does the pool area. Would stay again but not bother with paying extra for club room. Virtually none of these rooms have tower views. The hotel is a five minute walk to a large shopping centre with plenty of food and coffee outlets along with supermarkets, chemists and a range of quality shops (shops don't open 'till after 9am). Good partial views of the towers as you walk around.
The breakfast here is first class with a range to satisfy every taste, including local curry and bread. Service is very good and all the staff we encountered spoke good English. Ground floor cafe/restaurant is reasonably priced and the food is good. We had satay sticks and fresh orange juice on arrival at night and it was excellent. One night is never enough in KL and would certainly return to this hotel for a longer stay. If going to the airport at night, book a cab at reception. It is sometimes difficult to get cabs to the airport. In our case the doorman ran down the street and round the corner to hail a cab for us. Just part of the quality service at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ReggieT102
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed two nights, asked for upgrades upon our arrival and we wer all given them. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was an enormous selection of fresh fruits, fresh eggs, as well as an assortment of different regional Asian and South Asian cuisines. Our only complaint was the city itself, other then to view the Petronos towers, I do not know why anyone would visit KL.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade, nicely!