“I feel cheated.”

Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #24 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I went to the Royale Chulan on my honeymoon; so I asked for just a few roses to be on the bed. There were none. I booked a Deluxe room around 5 months back. During my stay there, I didn't take my phone or laptop, so I had no idea that instead of a Deluxe room, I was given a Superior room, which is smaller, and did not have any view at all; it was right under the roof (Room 547), so half of the view was of the roof architecture. I took the Deluxe room specifically because of the layout, which was very different in the superior room.

The room was quite nice, and the breakfast was excellent. Overall, I enjoyed my stay. But now, after arriving home and doing a quick check, I feel really cheated. I will never, ever recommend this hotel to anyone I know. I could never imagine that a hotel of this size and reputation would cheat guests.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andre F
TheRoyaleChulanKL, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

I thank the writer for his or her time to comment. I am regretful that the experience was not up to the reviewer's standard and I would like to take this opportunity to clarify on the matter.

Room 547 as mentioned by the writer as his or her dedicated room number is in fact a Deluxe room category. Our Deluxe rooms are 41 square metres in size with a vantage view of the cityscape. We pride on the expansive space in our Deluxe rooms and assure the reviewer that he or she did indeed receive what he or she booked for.

Whereas for the Superior room category, they are just a little smaller but as our Superior rooms are limited in number, we do not offer a Superior option on our website.

We encourage the reviewer to contact us directly if further clarification is needed.

Yours sincerely,
Franz Swoboda

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and found the hotel to be excellent on all counts. Very large comfortable room which was classically decorated. Breakfast was good enough, lots of choice and variation. The swimming pool was nice to use in the humid afternoon and we were usually the only ones there! There was a huge conference when we stayed there but the hotel was large that it made no impact on us. We found the staff very helpful and would have no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sambrown76
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at the Royale Chulan in April for 3 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We reached at close to 3am on the first night and were greeted warmly by the staff at the front desk. The room was a very pleasant surprise. It was relatively huge and the bathroom was so lovely. We were on a low floor but we could see the Petronas Twin Towers from our bed! The bathroom was huge and luxurious and the bathtub was perfect. The room was also very clean and we had a nice surprise on the second day when we came back from shopping - a plate of delicious pralines. That made us smile.

The corridor of the hotel and the lifts were so so beautiful and felt so luxurious.The lobby was very nice and the staff were friendly. Breakfast was super good with a super wide spread and the croissant were so nice. The staff were very attentive. Location wise, it's close to Pavillion if you walk from the back but we were accosted by 2 people asking for donation so we took the safer route from then on. The safer route means that it takes about 5mins to reach Pavillion. It was a pleasant walk though. There is an air-conditioned bridge near Pavillion that is linked to KLCC. We can't rave enough about the Royale Chulan. Truly value for money

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 28 June 2012 via mobile

Ive read the other reviews, but unfortunately, we had a few things happen during our short stay that have ruined any glowing thoughts of this hotel.

We stayed 3 nights. Only this week, booked four rooms.

Firstly, upon checkin, one staff member kept a record of our credit cards in file for anyone to find. Once approached and asked to black out the numbers, the look of disdain we received from him was horrendous. International standards denotes that 'x' should be used for most numbers when keeping records.

I had elected not to hand over credit card details for my room. That night, I called room service, explained I had no ringgits as yet, and my credit card was not on file. Could I order, and give them my credit card details for the meal. I was told that I could. When my meal arrived, there was a couple hours of confusion back and forth as they would not accept my credit card. After a couple hours, it was sorted.

Not enough tea bags in the room. No money changing in reception.

Breakfast was great, and certainly adequate, despite other reviews here.

Our biggest concern and comPlaint was the non arrival of the mini van we booked through the hotel to take us to the airport, and the absolute disinterest by the reception staff to help us.

There were seven of us travelling so booked a 10 seat minivan at the concierge to pick us up 6 am next morning. Booking number 2477.

The van never showed up, there was no one at the concierge desk for the 40 minutes we were trying to find out where it was, and the guy behind the reception desk would do nothing but say "I don't know" and shrug his shoulders.

Luckily, a cab driver was kind enough to organise a couple of appropriately sized cabs for us, and 40 minutes later, we were finally able to get on our way to the airport. Made our flights, thankfully.

At this stage, I'm VERY glad I did not leave my credit card details, as I have no doubt I would most probably be charged for that minivan booking later down the track.

The hotel is big and beautiful, but certainly lacks in service or helpful staff.

Our experience was enough that I would not recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Poppyisblonde
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The Royale Chulan is located close to the Shopping District but is extremely quiet. After a long trip, reception gave me a corner room on the outside of the building and it was nice to sleep without any noise from traffic.
The Staff are extremely professional and friendly. This included everyone that I came into contact with, from the cleaning staff to the pool staff to the restaurant staff.
The Breakfast Buffet is great and has a wide variety of choices, including Sushi, (a welcome change to the usual fare).

As many have mentioned, shopping is close by and you can go from the Pavillion Mall to the BB Mall for everything you need. (Real to Knockoffs if you so desire).

The Pavillion has a very large food court on the bottom floor with every type of food imaginable.

Rooms are big and the bathroom is huge with a separate rainforest shower and bathtub.

If I ever get back to KL, I will definitely be looking at booking here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business