“avoid it at all cost”

The Green Hut Lodge
london
“avoid it at all cost”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

bed bugs, dirty, useless service. the receptionist told us at midnight the bed linnen has not been changed from the previous lodgers. then said it will be fixed in 20 minutes, then another 20, while chatting to his chaps in the lobby of the hotel about nothing. then we insisted and at 1 am he came to bring a new sheet saying it is not his job to change sheets.

mentioning Greenhut lodge in Lonely Planet was an idiotic thing to do.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nicup
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Apparently this place is listed in the LP guide. I shall be writing to them too.

You should not stay at this place. Two doors to the right is the Comfort Inn which I moved to after one night, and it's much better.

I stayed with three other guys, two rooms with two to a room. The rooms were small, about enough to fit two single beds pretty much squashed together and room for your packs at the end. I did not see any bedbugs, but the wall next to my bed was very dirty, and a previous resident had picked his nose and wiped the snot all over the wall. If you want a blanket, this is additional to the room cost. WTF?

I have put Average for sleep quality, although it depends - the place is next to a banging pub/club which is pumping out loud music for long after midnight. I had a room at the front and with earplugs I had no problem sleeping, but without, you would hear the music loudly. Other rooms probably quieter.

Major problem came in the morning, the three other guys had a night flight and left early, leaving me with asleep with one of the room keys. When I came to check out and get my half of the deposit, they told me that the guys had taken it all. The guys said that they only picked up half the deposit as they only returned the one key.

I don't believe that they would have return the whole deposit to anyone without having returned both keys. So I lwas ripped off on the deposit.

You can say what you like about different standards of cleanliness in other countries, maybe you have to put up with a bit of dirt sometimes, but being ripped off? Well, thats the kicker.

Once again, do not stay here.

Writing this review from my room at the Comfort Inn, it just happened this morning.

Room Tip: Two doors to the left, Comfort Inn
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank marcusfox

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 3 April 2011

The only positive thing I can say about our stay in de Green Hut Lodge is that the lady working ost of the time at the desk is kind and helpful.
For the rest, the rooms were dirty, smelly and small. It was one of our most expensive rooms in Malaysia and really not worth the money!!
The rooms are really noisy too and it is quiet a walk to discover the city. Breakfast is really poor, just some toast and jam, laundry is pretty expensive for Malaysia...
I wouldn't recommend this place at all and have no idea why lonely planet does!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Raspo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We didn't know what to expect for Maleysian standard as it was our first stay/night in Maleysia. We booked 4 nights to settle down a little bit and plan our Maleysian trip.

The hostel was in the Lonely Planet so we thought, it must be ok. And first, it was a little ok, we had a room on the top floor with balcony but with a shared bathroom (we booked a private one, but when we arrived there wasn't avalaible anymore...). The room was ok, really hot but the A/C was working (not really good but it cooled down a little bit). It has just one double bed, and there was just enough space to put our luggage.

The shared bathroom wasn't as clean as the room and the shower wasn't hardly a shower. Therefore we insisted to take a room with ensuite bathroom. Bad idea. We ended up on the ground floor in room with a window overlooking the...kitchen (don't think about sleeping after 6am - there's too much noise) and there was a hard humid smell in the room. After complaining, we were told to put on the A/C, it would disappear but that wasn't true.

We thought about moving to another hostel or hotel but then I went sick...so I laid 36hours in our smelly room. Luckely the bathroom was clean (enough) (really really small though).

There's breakfast included, but it's just toast with chemical jam.

A positive note: we thought the Indian lady was helpfull/friendly and we met some awesome guys/ladies in the communal area. And the wifi is fast.

So if your on a real shoestring budget, I think it wil do. But there's a hostel in the same road that looks a lot better so I would recommend to go over there or find one on Tripadvisor that"s better rated.

Room Tip: Ask one on the top floor
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JelDek
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I stayed there for 5 days, and when i complained about the power socket that was broken and asked for a cable extension, the indian malaysian lady manager told me to talk directly to the guest house, telling me I know their language, this was off course an insult as if I didn't deserve for any service, and after I found out the cable extension was also broken and asking for new one and she could keep the new one as house asset, she told me she can not do anything about it, and this is not my country and not a star-ed hotel, so I told her I'd get cable extension from public PC, after few minutes a local malay guy came to my room asking for the extension and if I have finished, he'd use it to use public computer.

In the morning, I was charged of breaking public property and that cable extension was broken due to me and I lost my RM20 deposit and she had the nerve showing me another broken cable extension that had been torn apart. Fortunately, for her, a guest fixed that broken cable extension due to blown fuse since he wanted to use the PC and she used that as a proof.

What I wrote was much milder of what actually happened.

I believe you can have more satisfaction staying in a different guest house along this street. And, let her know she is still working there because we pay her for it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business