“Everything but mexican food”
Review of Las Carretas

Las Carretas
Ranked #975 of 4,128 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Kuala lumpur
“Everything but mexican food”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I reckon I didn't expect to have proper mexican dinner, I was just craving for some simple mexican dishes (or at least some good tex mex).

Quesadilla was horrible and enchilada tasteless, totally below my expectations. The only dish I liked was the ribs my friend had, but unfortunatelly that wasn't a mexican one.

I could enjoy the beers, tough, outside by the terrace, since the location is quite nice, in a quiet street by ampang point where you cannot feel the noise of the cars

• Visited February 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Simply The Best..”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

My always favourite place to dine cause Chill's and TGIF franchising are ain't that good. Plus they are worth me spending my tips than that sourface at Chili's. I appologise for comparing here but if there is an option better then it's worth sharing. Most of all the dishes are great. People are friendly and it's all Mexicana.. My choice always.

• Visited December 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A place to brighten up your day!”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The sun never seems to set at Las Carretas. From the staff to the management team, they are always the chirpiest people I know. They never fail! It was a busy dinnertime, and yet we were greeted and served with smiles that were as permanent as the sombrero hanging on the wall. If you're having a bad day and feeling famish, you know where to head over to.

The food is so good, its fun to eat. Since its a Mexican restaurant, I chose to have their fajitas (RM33.90). The menu gives you a choice of chicken or beef. Well, I had the best of both worlds. I discovered that you can actually mix them up! My wife had chimichanga (RM26.90), which came with perfect crispy skin and generous filling. Both of us had a glass of El Presidente Margarita (RM25.50) each. Such bliss! Truly one of the best in town.

For wine enthusiast like me, this is certainly a playground. They have a wide selection of wines, leaning more towards the New World wines. In my next visit, I'll definitely go for their popular Charbroiled US corn-fed rib eye, with a bottle of Gigondas.

I tend to dine over at their Damansara restaurant more so than the rest as its the nearest to where I live. If you're there, look for Adeline. She's the manager there and the best person to give you recommendations to make your dining experience an unforgettable one. 3 thumbs up! (if that's possible!)

• Visited November 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Good Mexican Food”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We have been to this restaurant a few times. Twice we celebrated birthdays there and the staff put on a good show by singing birthday song and playing a guitar.

We have tried the Chorizo teaser which is a sausage appetizer. The sausage was good and toppings were nice too. I guess a good test of Mexican food in Malaysia is to sample the Nachos. Their Nachos are quite authentic compared to some of the other local restaurants in Malaysia.

For the main course we have tried the Quesadillas and once again all the ingredients are fresh and this should be the minimum standard for this dish.

For anyone into spicy food ask the staff for their chilies. They have a few different chilly condiments which is definitely not for the faint hearted.

• Visited February 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Great little mexican restaurant”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Didn't really know what to expect at all before we arrived as we had not been recommended to go to this place. Fancied a mexican meal so googled "Mexican Kuala Lumpur" and it was the 1st place that appeared so decided to try it. Had a really enjoyable meal at Las Carretas. The staff were fantastic- very friendly and attentive.

Myself and partner only had fajitas so can only judge the food by them but we were very happy with what we got. Being vegetarian I asked if they could make the fajitas veggie as the menu only offered meat options (may sound an easy request but have been in places that have refused to do so). I expected literally the vegetables that came with meat option (peppers and onions) but when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised...it was full of different veg like corn, onion, peppers, mushrooms, tomato, different types of beans etc. Very tasty. Presentation was nice as well.

It was probably the most enjoyable meal we had out in KL when taking into consideration service, food, atmosphere etc. Would definitely go back.

• Visited November 2011