“Best halal Iranian and Indian food in town”
Review of Arash's Kitchen

Arash's Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 14,237 Restaurants in Kyoto
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 18
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: Arash' Kitchen is open everyday from Monday to Sunday. Exceptionally the restaurant is closed on some Tuesdays or Wednesdays. We kindly suggest customers to make a reservation or inquire for availability on both Tuesday and Wednesday.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is my third visit to Kyoto. I have known Arash’s Kitchen since my second visit which was back in 2015. To me, the food tasted authentic. I ordered chicken kebab fillet and mutton curry. The scent of saffron from the kebab was very aromatic. The curry gravy was deliciously done as mutton was tender. The service is so good as they pay attention to you all the time, catering to your needs. Arash’s friendly personality is very touching. In all honesty, if you’re looking for a nice, cozy, and very close to authentic Iranian & Indian food restaurant, then I recommend you this place.

1  Thank Krich P
Arash S, Owner at Arash's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you very much for your review. We were indeed very pleased to have you at Arashskitchen. We’re looking forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Running a Persian restaurant is tough. The ingredients are expensive and hard to find, and because few people even know what Persian food is, Persian restaurants rarely get consistent numbers of customers like other types of restaurants do. A common mistake we see is that instead of focusing on just a few dishes done well, they tend to have vast encyclopaedic menus offering dozens of different foods, which is exactly the trap Arash’s kitchen seems to have fallen into.

After reading the positive reviews on Google and Tripadvisor, we decided to give Arash’s kitchen a try. We went there midweek for lunch and apart from one other group the place was empty. We ordered the mirza ghasemi, joojeh kebab, koobideh kebab, ghormeh sabzi, rice, naan and one doogh.

Ok, so first, the positives. The location was relatively convenient to get to and both the joojeh kebab and naan were good. The food came out promptly and service was friendly enough.

Pretty much everything else was an utter disappointment. The rice seemed to be low-grade, sticky, unsalted indian rice, not the proper long grained aromatic Persian rice we expected. The ghormeh sabzi was too runny, too oily and lacked dried limes. The kebabs didn’t come with bbq’d tomatoes and the koobideh was bland and tasted like low-grade meat. The mirza ghasemi’s flavor profile was all wrong: no garlic and wasn’t smokey at all. The doogh was out of a bottle and too watery. At a real Persian restaurant, doogh is always made fresh to order and served in jugs.

The atmosphere of the restaurant itself was depressing. Everything from the decor to the general cleanliness of the place made us want to leave as fast as possible. Overall, I would describe the whole experience as “miserable”.

There’s one last thing that’s worth mentioning. After we left, we took another look at the reviews on Google and TripAdvisor and noticed that the owner has a habit of guilt-tripping people into removing or editing negative reviews. He seems to be doing this in Persian so non-Persian speakers don’t realise what’s going on.

1  Thank aryaparia
Arash S, Manager at Arash's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent visit to my restaurant, however I strongly disagree with your judgmental & biased review. I believe that most of us (Iranians) have a bad habit of thinking that we are expert on everything and easily criticize things we don't even have a clue. What I understand from your review is that you totally lack any experience about how to run a restaurant or I doubt you can even cook. Simply because you are used to your mum's hand-cooking doesn't mean that all the Persian restaurants around the world should follow her recipe.

Let me tell you one simple fact that you totally missing about foreign foods in a country: It's a rule that the taste is usually adopted based on the local people desire and the ingredient are provided from the local markets as much as possible. You have to understand that every Iranian restaurant outside Iran is not primarily for Iranians. It was so funny that you mentioned the "Aromatic Persian Rice"!! Do you honestly expect me to find that in Japan? and then charge you 2$ for it? Or perhaps you expect me to import that by myself and lets ignore the fact that rice is in the list of banned items for import into Japan.

Overall I found your review with extreme exaggeration about the foods and how they taste. And this is not because I say it but because of many of our customers who completely disagree with you. Looking at your other reviews prove that it is not only me, you wrote 10 reviews and 9 of them are one star. It means you only go to the places you absolutely don't like or maybe you generally have negative views about everything. For whatever reason you are angry at me I don't really understand but it was not really necessary to copy the same review in Tripadvisor and google both. It only prove you are a trouble person with no character.

I hope you get back home soon so you can have the real taste of your food. In fact if I was as picky as you, I would have never left my country, would stay there to enjoy it to my full!!

Arash.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It was great to find this place as a vegetarian! You have many options and the staff is friendly! Yummy! You also get a free water...there were many people - also a group of young japanese - not only tourists!
Only one point to complain: the toilet is not so clean...

1  Thank padiblue
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Loved eating Indian food in Kyoto. The owner Arash is very friendly and welcoming. We enjoyed eating here and visited twice while we were in Kyoto just because it was so much fun!

Arash S, Owner at Arash's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Incredible food, incredible service! Went twice and will be back if I’m lucky enough! Definitely a 10/10 experience!!

Arash S, Owner at Arash's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you so much! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit to Arashskitchen. We hope to see you again soon.