“Excellent accommodation. Excellent Location!!!!!”
other travellers have booked this property
Yasaka Pagoda in Gion's Ninen Zaka area  (A minute walk from Kiyomizu Machiya Inn)
View from our Lane Entrance Wall Gallery (Left) in front of our Lane Entrance
Dining Area
Sitting Area
Full Bathroom with Washer/Dryer
Unit Bath and Shower
Toilet (Japanese Hi-Tech Toilet TOTO)
Hallway
Western Bedroom (Sleeps 2)
View of Yasaka Pagoda from Japanese Room
Winter View from Western Bedroom
Japanese Style Tatami Room (Sleeps 2:  We provide top quality futon beds.)
Japanese Bedroom (2F)
Patio beside Japanese Room (2F)
View from Japanese Room
Patio
Den (Sleeps 1:  We provide top quality futon bed.)
1F Floor Plan
2F Floor Plan
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
MarryHarr...
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent accommodation. Excellent Location!!!!!”
Reviewed 25 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

We could not have asked for a better place to stay. We would recommend it to anyone we know.
There was everything that one could ask for in the Machiya and the office support service was extremely helpful with taxis and local information etc. Location could not be beaten, in a very quiet lane but in the midst of the Gion at the same time. Everything that goes to making a great holiday was supplied.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Management Response
25 May 2016
Dear Marie and Harry,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are happy you were able to enjoy our Kiyomizu Machiya Inn and the surrounding neighbourhood. It really is the best way to experience and get a taste for the old Kyoto.

Kind regards,

Trevor and Akemi
Lisa B
“Amazing home with everything you could possibly need.”
Reviewed 4 February 2016 for a stay in September 2015

Thank you for the opportunity to stay in such a unique and interesting area of Kyoto. The home was most welcome after small hotel rooms in Tokyo and was beautifully appointed with all the amenities you could need. Communication was excellent and no problems in finding the area and accommodating our needs to arrive late on a Saturday. A truly wonderful experience and well worth a stay.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and ease of access.
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway
Management Response
4 Feb 2016
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the wonderful review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Kyoto.

Kind regards,

The staff if Kyotomachiyainn
Lins12081
Hailey, Idaho
“Amazing, Beautiful Home and Location”
Reviewed 30 November 2015 for a stay in November 2015

We very much enjoyed our time at KMI. It's close to so many wonderful Kyoto sights and just steps away from Yasaka Pagoda. It's also a 10 minute walk from Kiyomizudera. The house is warm and comfortable while maintaining the charm and character of the traditional machiya. I was hoping to get a taste of old Japan without knowing yet that we'd be staying in the area that takes you back to old Japan. If we are fortunate to ever return to Kyoto I would not want to stay anywhere else!

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Beds harder than what we're used to. But very much adaquate
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
JaPhillip...
New Zealand
“Fabulous house and location”
Reviewed 13 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

My husband, myself and 23 year old daughter spent 5 nights in this delightful Machiya by the Yasaka Pagoda. Cobbled alleyways surround it and a real traditional feel. It was a perfect place to stay. Extremely quiet at night, comfortable, well stocked and well managed. The management company were on call and made a couple of restaurant bookings for us and ordered taxis etc. The main Gion area was only a 7 minute walk away. Mornings and evening were quiet from the tourist crowds. Great coffee shop , '%Arabica' a stroll away. Highly recommend.

Liked best: Location and quiet
Friends getaway
Jesse B
“Best Stay in Japan I've Ever Had”
Reviewed 18 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015

I am a foreign researcher living in Japan, and I needed a place to stay in Kyoto with my parents (both over 65-years-old) when they came to visit me. I can positively say that we couldn’t have picked a better place to stay: Kiyomizu Machiya is the perfect location from which to base your Kyoto vacation. I’ve stayed in the city many times, and I’ve never had an experience like this. Highlights include:

- the machiya itself is gorgeous. While still very-much a traditional machiya building inside and out, it also has all the modern conveniences one would expect and beyond: full cooking facilities, excellent temperature control, great free WiFi internet, a big TV with tons of channels for when you need to relax from the day, washing machine, great sound insolation between rooms upstairs and downstairs, and an epic bathtub. Yet it still feels and looks like traditional Kyoto, because it is!

- My parents slept in the modern beds upstairs, while I slept on the traditional bedding in a beautiful tatami room, also upstairs. It was incredibly comfortable for all of us, and again, lots of sound insolation.

- I can speak and read Japan but my parents cannot, and they could still use everything, because there is a great guide in the machiya in English on how everything works. After a day out sightseeing, it was the perfect comfortable location to come back to: everyone can have their space, yet also relax/eat as a family. Perfect in the mornings as well.

- The location is unparalleled: down a side street full of machiyas, right next to the Yasaka Pagoda, down the cobbled street from Kiyomizu Temple. This is a legendary neighborhood that has filled novels, paintings, and stories about Kyoto for centuries. Surrounded by traditional shops, restaurants, tea rooms, and attractions, this is the real deal for people who want to experience traditional Kyoto. People in traditional dress walking the street, random street fairs and shrine rituals, and due to the proximity to Gion, actual geiko (geisha) and maiko going about their day!
I think it speaks volumes that in the mornings when we would head out to sightsee, everyone else would be coming up the road in our direction to see the area in which we were living! Every night we’d take a walkabout the local area, and would always end up staying out for hours because of something happening we didn’t expect: a shrine procession, geisha serving tea at Yasaka Shrine, a modern art exhibition on the street, you name it!
There is a supermarket and a number of convenience stores for any and all shopping needs, right next to the bus stops close to the machiya.

- The machiya is located in an excellent place for sightseeing all over Kyoto. Anyone who has spent a day in Kyoto knows that the subway system is small and not very convenient for many places, and that Kyoto station is actually quite far south in the city, rather than close to the center. The best way around is bus, and the machiya is less than five minutes’ walk from major bus lines. No reason to be intimidated: again, there’s English in all the buses, and all you need to do is pay the set fare when you get off (we just used our PASMO/SUICA cards from Tokyo, all of which work in all Kyoto metro).
It is the perfect place from which to start the day: we traveled all over Kyoto and beyond, and never once felt like we were in an inconvenient location. Quite the opposite!

- Setting up the reservation was excellent; Trevor and Akemi are wonderful, receptive, and very reachable. They answered all my questions immediately, and were understanding when my PayPal account was initially having issues. As staying at the machiya was a surprise for my parents, Trevor and Akemi even left us a gift! They were great to work with and the consummate hosts abroad. The management agency on-site, including check-in process, are great as well. We were checked-in in less than 5 minutes, and at the machiya 15 minutes later!

All in all, the Kiyomizu Machiya played host to the best vacation of my parents’ (and my) lives, and it really played a huge roll in that. I’ve spent years in Japan, but I have never resided at a place like this. It’s something quite special. For ANYONE who is really interested in the most authentic of Kyoto experiences – submerged in traditional culture – and the most comfortable of bases from which to operate, I recommend the Kiyomizu Machiya. Especially families, couples, and groups of adults.

Kyoto has innumerable great places to stay, but I can say with 100% accuracy that the next time I am lucky enough to visit, I will be returning to the Kiyomizu Machiya. It’s that special!

Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The location and how comfortable the machiya is
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing