“Mostly great but not perfect!”

Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Ranked #13 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
London
“Mostly great but not perfect!”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed in the Hyatt Regency for three nights with my mother for her birthday. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was delicious, though extremely expensive (the buffet breakfast was about £30 a head). The only downfall was that we were put in room which really smelt of cigarette smoke. We asked to change but being full, the hotel could only move us if we stayed in one room the first night and then changed room for the last two nights. We accepted because our current room was unbearable to be in. The first room we stayed in was great but when changing for the new room it smelt of smoke as well, so we had to move again. Though the hotel is non-smoking if a guest asks to smoke the hotel generally says OK! Otherwise it was very clean and well located to walk or bike anywhere. The decor and architecture inside was beautiful too.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room to avoid getting a room that smells of smoke. Also a room overlooking the back co...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I normally am very stringent on giving 5-stars, but this time I backed down, coz I really cannot find fault with this hotel.

From the moment we stepped out of our taxi (which was a mere five minute ride from the train/bus station), we were impressed: a smiling doorman offered polite and unintrusive service, followed by entrance into a warm, graceful and charming lobby.

After a quick check-in, concierge already approached us across the hall to tell me that all my email inquiries and requests for restaurant and tour reservations have been poperly taken care of. She handed me a thick envelop with a letter explaining everything in detail, plus my day tour tickets and printed google maps of my restaurants' locations with handwritten explanations in both English and Japanese in case I needed to show it to the taxi drivers... Every detail was covered in the most immaculate manner.

Then we were shown our room. The impressive bit was not the size (this is Japan after all), but the lack of size was fully compensated by the beauty of the design. Light colour wood, simple and clean lines, carefully matched textures all gave a very warm welcoming glow to the room. We have stayed in hotels in Scandinavia and thought the room resembled an IKEA catalogue--functional, but cold and rather cheap. But the room in Kyoto Hyatt felt like "this is what I'd like for the design of my next home!"

If I were forced to pick something to "complain" about, then it would be the lighting of the room. The room's overall ambience was a bit dark for my taste, but the overhead reading lights and bedside lamps were more than sufficient for bedtime reading. Also the room didn't offer WIFI. However we could get that in the beautiful lobby, so my wife and I gladly took our electronic gadgets there and lounged on the beautiful and comfortable leather sofas. So not a big issue.

On my first day, I thought I had finally found something that might warrant me not giving a 5-star rating to this hotel: the breakfast. Not that there was anything wrong with it. The eggs were good, croissant crisp, juice fresh... but it wasn't impressive, just very standard. My wife mumbled sonething about not having any Japanese dishes, which was really odd for a hotel breakfast in Japan, but we were running late for our day tour (booked with the help of Concierge) so we just grabbed a quick bite and left. On second day, we had a much more leisurely morning, so we asked the waiter about Japanese options. She asked us to wait and five minutes later returned with a two layer bento box and a rice pot! Once she opened it and laid it out on the table, we thought we were looking at jewelry box--a dozen mini compartments each containing different kinds of fish, a variety of radishes, Japanese tofu... a colorful array of bite size food looking very much like baubles from Harry Winston or Cartier. Of course it tasted just as well as it looked. So I recommend everyone who stays at this hotel to opt for the Japanese breakfast and not the standard American buffet as you will be amazed at how delicately prepared this whole fanfare is.

That's why I feel compelled to give this hotel a straight 5-star rating.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Yau Baby
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed here for a week and loved it.

The Hyatt is a wonderful piece of modern Japanese architecture: it feels like a smaller place, combining the best aspects of traditional Japanese buildings and modern amenities: sleek design, huge glass windows opening onto Japanese gardens, lots of light-colored wood panels.

The rooms are in the same style, you feel you are really in Japan and not in some soul-less international hotel-chain behemoth.

The service is stellar, as is the Japanese standard. The concierge staff were always very helpful, making reservations, giving advice and providing maps and route descriptions for each destination we enquired about.

The three restaurants (reviewed separately) were all excellent: a traditional Japanese, an "international-type" grill and an Italian.

The location is also very convenient: across the street from the Kyoto National Museum and from one of the major temples, a 15min walk from the Gion neighborhood. It is 10min by taxi from the train station. I cannot think of a better place to stay in Kyoto.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FernandoLanzer
istanbul
Reviewed 26 June 2012

we stayed in this hotel for two days in June 18-20. it is located in quite street but convenient to reach anywhere and it's next to shrine worth visiting. rooms are big, concierge services are great. they booked us a kaseiki meal in one of the popular places.
touzan bar worth visiting and spending time.
compared with the money paid, this hotel is a must stay. traditional and modern is mixed in a way.
even we loved the umbrellas that they lend when yo go out to town. We wanted to take it with us back home but forgot to take it :(
cool hotel, nice people, must stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My Japanese colleagues recommended this hotel strongly (we were also considering the Granvia) and I don't regret choosing it. I'd been concerned that the location was out of the way, but it's only about an 8-minute walk from the Shichijo train station. I found it more convenient to temples (there's a big one right next door, and the granddaddy of them all, Kiyomizu, is a pleasant stroll away) with a number of restaurants and other amenities right down the street in a much more charming neighborhood than right in the CBD.The room was clean and very zen, if not particularly flashy or spacious; everything seemed to have its own drawer or special place. The view of green trees was also quite lovely and calming; initially we were put on the second floor and basically looking out at a roof, but the front desk staff quickly complied when I asked to be moved. The concierge staff spoke excellent English and was extremely helpful in making restaurant reservations on short notice and recommending affordable local places to try. I agree with a few reviewers that the hotel perhaps felt a bit high-traffic; for some reason it really bummed me out to be surrounded by western faces in the lobby with everyone playing on their iPads. Of course had there been in-room Wi-Fi this wouldn't have been an issue. (On the bright side, I'll take free Wi-Fi in the lobby over exorbitantly over-priced in-room Wi-Fi any day). I found this a comfortable and modern place to stay, but next time might try a ryokan for a more authentic, personalized Kyoto experience.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor (you'll be looking at a roof); I think some ground floor room...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple