“tourist trap”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Gion
Neighbourhood: Gion
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Way overpriced for less than average food and I have to agree with previous reviews about being rushed out, we ate our dinner in literally 15 mins. We stopped here mostly because it was pouring down as we had realised already that foreigners are not the most welcome in the area (Gion). I have to say that the historic neighbourhood is literally invaded by tourists who are mostly badly behaved and disrespectful of locals so I am not surprised to be unwelcome around here. Focus on downtown Kyoto for dinner (around Nishiki market). Bliss

1  Thank donatella m

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We thought it was impossible to go wrong in Kyoto. Having ordered a shabu shabu and sushi set for 4.500 each we expected decent quality. But tempura was bland and have had far better sushi at much lower prices in other places. Shabu shabu was tasteless with poor quality meat. A tasteless aperitif was served at 500 yen each. Plus 15 percent service charge. Overall a waste of money and the worst we had during our two-week trip in Japan (or ever for the money spent)

1  Thank Jazz-eleven
Reviewed 18 January 2018

We heard that the restaurants on the street/area were famed for traditional Japanese/Kyoto fare. With that in mind, we (my wife and two daughters) walked up and down the side streets looking for a place to eat. Cute streets with lanterns outside the restaurants. Almost none of them had their names in English and very few had menus outside. Those that did, appeared expensive, as expected. However, given that my wife and younger daughter are primarily vegetarian and somewhat picky eaters, we were not looking to spend a lot on the per person sets (around $80 to $100). Kids were getting tired at this point and we were ready to give up. While exiting the area and walking to the Main Street to grab a cab, we chanced upon this restaurant. As we were peering at the menu outside, a cute waitress in traditional Japanese garb came outside and invited us in. First sign of a tourist trap but we were tired and hungry. Besides, she said that our younger daughter did not have to order a full set. They also had a vegetarian option. When we went in, the restaurant was empty except for another couple. Decor was rather drab. Nevertheless, we were excited to experience a traditional Japanese meal, sit on the mats, etc. The female staff - two young girls and one old mamasan type - were dressed in Kimonos. We felt somewhat rushed especially by the mamasan to order (touristy). I got the beef set, my wife got the tofu set, my older daughter got the sushi set and my younger daughter got some appetizers. I was surprised that my steak was brought out fast, about the same time as the salad and some of the other items on the set. By the time I got to the steak, it was somewhat cold. Nevertheless, all things said, the food was good and tasty. My wife loved the tofu. We enjoyed endless cups of hot tea on a cold night. The waitstaff were attentive and friendly. Cost us about $150 which wasn’t bad for the area. Would recommend for families looking to experience traditional Japanese cuisine at a relatively moderate cost. I liked that they didn’t force you to order a full meal especially for kids. Also good for vegetarians. Staff spoke English and were friendly.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

This was the only poor dining experience in Japan. Everything else has been pretty spectacular.
To be quite honest, we knew it was a tourist trap going in. Walking around Gion fell for the convenient location. Terribly overpriced sushi and tempura, everything bland and overbreaded, can get much better and more authentic Japanese meal a mile away from my house in New Jersey. Even miso soup was not even remotely flavorful.
On the positive side the servers and owners were nice and most people were ordering shabu shabu and sake and seemed more satisfied. Also saw owner helping customers prepare shabu shabu.
So if you find yourself here for whatever reason, go for shabu shabu.

3  Thank ldjs
Reviewed 4 June 2017

Not bad but everything was poor.
If you waste your money here, you had better eat at diner on the 7th floor in Takashimaya.
My friend ordered "Vegetarian meals" but they served fish as an appetizer.

祇園にしては安いです。ただクォリティも低い。